Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Thread: Injection molding question

Images

Injection molding question

There are a few hobby injection molders available:
    https://www.injectionmolder.net/
    https://www.techkits.com/

Both sell an "empty" mold frame that can be used with epoxy or a 3d printed mold. So I was toying with the idea of getting one.

I understand how a 2-piece mold works for something like a head, but how is something with an internal cavity like a boot injection molded?
    I know molds can be made with more than two pieces, so they can be taken apart to remove the product, but I don't see how the toe of a boot wouldn't be trapped inside.
    Is a boot made in two halves and sonic welded together? Or does it use rubbery material so it can be pulls off the mold?

I think boots would be blow-molded, or maybe roto-cast. The boots made in Mexico for ape figures were blow-molded. The ones that weren't used are two boots attached at the top, so they were just cut apart and you had two boots.

Last edited by LonnieFisher; Jul 2, '18 at 10:48 PM.

Maybe the new style rubber boots could be made with a three part mold. Maybe that's why some rubber boots are stretched out funny, having a solid core removed from a soft, warm boot?

Images
    Yes, a blow mold make perfect sense. Thanks

From what I've heard of Alibaba, you can send a head in overseas and they will recreate it and even paint it for much less than what the US charges. I'm sure there is a large minimum order and then there's those pesky copy right laws we have in the US that other countries get to ignore.
    "May fortune favor the foolish"