• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pmwasson
    Maker
    • Sep 12, 2007

Injection molding question

There are a few hobby injection molders available:
    Hand operated injection molders for DIY injection molding. Ideal for R&D, materials testing, STEM programs. 3D print your own molds.

LNS Technologies Manufactures Low Cost Affordable Economy Benchtop Plastic Injection Molding Machines and Supplies

Both sell an "empty" mold frame that can be used with epoxy or a 3d printed mold. So I was toying with the idea of getting one.

I understand how a 2-piece mold works for something like a head, but how is something with an internal cavity like a boot injection molded?
    I know molds can be made with more than two pieces, so they can be taken apart to remove the product, but I don't see how the toe of a boot wouldn't be trapped inside.
    Is a boot made in two halves and sonic welded together? Or does it use rubbery material so it can be pulls off the mold?
    sigpic LaserMego
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

I think boots would be blow-molded, or maybe roto-cast. The boots made in Mexico for ape figures were blow-molded. The ones that weren't used are two boots attached at the top, so they were just cut apart and you had two boots.

Last edited by LonnieFisher; Jul 2, '18, 10:48 PM.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

Maybe the new style rubber boots could be made with a three part mold. Maybe that's why some rubber boots are stretched out funny, having a solid core removed from a soft, warm boot?

Comment

• pmwasson
        Maker
        • Sep 12, 2007

Yes, a blow mold make perfect sense. Thanks
        sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
          Career Member
          • Nov 22, 2011

From what I've heard of Alibaba, you can send a head in overseas and they will recreate it and even paint it for much less than what the US charges. I'm sure there is a large minimum order and then there's those pesky copy right laws we have in the US that other countries get to ignore.
          "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎