Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: He-Man was not the first cartoon based on a toy or product

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    Strawberry Shortcake was created by Muriel Fahrion for Those Characters From Cleveland which was American Greetings toy and licensing division and Shirt Tales was a line of greeting cards and plush toys by Hallmark. Yeah, it's kind of splitting hairs but they were still product line with a cartoon.
    Oh, it's total semantics but that was the work around.

I’ve heard somewhere there was talk of an Art Clokey (Of Gumby fame) claymation tv show of GiJoe in the 60s.

Images
    I think toys like MOTU and GI JOE kind of skirted that line of being sort of a toy first and sort of an IP first.

SW also lead to their creation.

From what I've read Kenner had become THE toy company with SW. They also had become, maybe, a bit of a bully with it. Forcing retailers to carry less popular items or risk being shorted on SW toys. Hasbro and Mattel desperately wanted their Star Wars and retailers wanted new IPs to push back on Kenner. From the ground up a lot of thought, planning and back stories were created to flesh out the characters for MOTU and RAH. So, yeah, they are toys but they were also created like any other new story based property. Which, of course, could also be licensed out to other companies, just like SW, with additional merchandise like pajamas, Halloween costumes, story books, etc.

So, I guess, it's always been kind of a chicken and the egg kind of the thing with merchandising. Just like Disney knew and planned that their movies, cartoons and TV shows would sell a lot of toys.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

I dont remember that Hot Wheels cartoon at all. I would have like to have seen an Action Jackson cartoon.

They could have used the theme from the AJ commercials. It was a catchy tune. Those commercials were Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by enyawd72 View Post
    That's not true at all. There were TONS of toys made throughout the 1970's of Hanna Barbera characters while the shows were on the air. Scooby Doo, Yogi Bear, Flintstones, Wacky Races, Banana Splits...there were Looney Tunes toys, Jay Ward stuff like Rocky and Bullwinkle, Tennessee Tuxedo...there are THOUSANDS of items on Ebay. Figures, plushes, board games, puzzles, coloring books, soakies, you name it.
    In 1969 the Federal Communication Commission passed a landmark decision
    effectively banning any and all children's television programming that was associated with a toy line.
    The bill was instated under the concern that programming for children should be
    educational, and that toy related tie-ins degraded children's programming to the status of
    half-hour commercials

Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    The first Barbie cartoon was Barbie and the Rockers out of this world in 1987.
    Barbie Mysteries was a show in development think of a Scooby Doo like show but starring Barbie.

Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    Oh, it's total semantics but that was the work around.
    True but also some companies would utilize other forms of media....like We are making Toys based on the Comic not the cartoon....or Like with Dukes of hazzard and Hulk...they were not technically "Children's programming"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmthor View Post
    In 1969 the Federal Communication Commission passed a landmark decision
    effectively banning any and all children's television programming that was associated with a toy line.
    The bill was instated under the concern that programming for children should be
    educational, and that toy related tie-ins degraded children's programming to the status of
    half-hour commercials
    Yes BUT toy companies themselves were still free to license the properties after the fact. The law prohibited the toymakers from creating the property, that's the difference and what Dwayne is accurately stating.