X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

The Leech Woman--I don't get it

I've seen The Leech Woman (half-watched, actually) a few times and kind of like it. Universal Horror's last gasp, but it could have been from 1940 just as much as 1960. It could have been edgier to be more effective.

Tonight I'm watching it more closely, and I either missed it or don't understand a basic plot point: Why does priestess Mala show up at the doctor's office with the secret youth hormone, when all she does is capture and threaten death upon his expedition to her homeland to get the rest of the secret?

Has she spent 140 years enticing nosey scientists to Africa to bump them off? Seems like a lot of work.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

It's just not a good movie. I've seen it years ago and it's even worse than I remembered. Even with Svengoolie I could not sit through it again.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Jun 30, '18, 11:09 PM. Reason: typos
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I've sat through worse on Svengoolie. Even so, one can excuse the bad make-up, but the sexist content does not age well. Wasp Woman has a similar theme but is more compact and more fun.

The Reptile is the zenith of this sub-genre, though.
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Jun 30, '18, 10:54 PM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
        Wasp Woman has a similar theme but is more compact and more fun.
        That's another I've not seen in a long while. From what I remember, it's not good by any means but I think it's still watchable because it has enough, maybe, unintentional camp. Leach Woman on the other hand is just a dreary mess of a movie.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• glimpy
          Loco Chango
          • Feb 5, 2012

I love those cheesy B movies
          sigpic

Comment

• HardyGirl
            Mego Museum's Poster Girl
            • Apr 3, 2007

Originally posted by glimpy
            I love those cheesy B movies
            Me too. I haven't seen it in awhile, but I like the Wasp Woman.
            "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
            'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
            Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
            If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Wasp Woman is definitely boosted by its camp content. Leech Woman is hampered by being pedestrian and having an unlikable, whiney lead.

Comment

• glimpy
                Loco Chango
                • Feb 5, 2012

I think I'll make one of these frozen pizzas and pretend I am at the drive-in on Saturday night while watching Svengoolie this week.
                sigpic

Comment

• danadoll
                  Micronaut Nut!
                  • Apr 11, 2005

I watched The Leech Woman on MST3K and died laughing...so bad.

Dana
                  "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• TrekStar
                    Trek or Treat
                    • Jan 20, 2011

If were talking female monsters, I liked the movie Cult of the Cobra with the very sexy Faith Domergue, voodoo priestess
                    putting the venomous bite on the visiting American interlopers who dare invade the privacy of a cult meeting, as she follows them back to America, Richard Long from the Big Valley western series starred in this movie.

Comment

• phil
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 11, 2007

I finally got around to watching The Leech Woman a couple of weekends ago and barely emember it. I agree that The Wasp Woman is more entertaining and more fun.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎