Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MegoNuts4Megos
    • Mar 21, 2018

Our Gang Buckwheat Straw Hat? Whaaaat?

Reaching out to all our Little Rascals, Our Gang fans.

I'm pretty new to the Our Gang Mego line up so not sure on a few things, like how long did it run for? I'm assuming that it ran long enough to have had the change to the quality of the head material as some seem to discolor dramatically and other do not. Does anyone have any more general information on this line up?

The biggest question I have right now is around a straw hat for Buckwheat. Up until very recently, I have only seen carded figures of Buckwheat that have only the figure with his standard clothes. However, I came across a Buckwheat that happens to have a Straw Hat included in the bubble. My assumption is that this is a "first edition" version and the Straw Hat was removed later when the line didn't do as well as hoped.

Anyone have any thoughts as to how rare this would be? Or not? I'm working with the gentleman who is selling this to come up with a fair price for this piece.

Here's some pics.

• palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Although he's depicted on the art as having a hat, Mego never alludes to it on any sales materials including the Toy Fair 1976 catalog. So, I'm fairly skeptical as to it being a thing.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MegoNuts4Megos
      • Mar 21, 2018

I do see that there's a crack on the bubble. You think someone shoved one in there? It looks pretty big in the picture compared to his head. I'd love to see if it fits him. LOL. I hadn't noticed that the card illustration has a hat too. I wonder if someone wanted a hat, found one and put it in the bubble. Interesting.

Thanks Palitoy!

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I believe the hat has been inserted. I'm almost certain it is an Ideal Jody doll hat. These 9" dolls were released in '74-'75; the "country girl" version includes such a hat. I think the brim has been trimmed.

The Jody line featured many vintage-styled accessories. I've used some with my Mego Waltons.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MegoNuts4Megos
          • Mar 21, 2018

This hat? Ya, I think you're right. The ribbon has been modified to and then touched up it looks like. Good catch PNGwynne. Thanks so much! Really appreciate everyone's time on this!

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Yes, that's it exactly. Glad I could help.

It's not a bad idea for Buckwheat but likely too large for even an 8" Mego figure.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• captact
              King of Super Queens!
              • Aug 19, 2007

Wow! im getting that hat!!!! Hope it does fit him!

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                Permanent Member
                • Jun 29, 2018

Hats are pretty easy to make out of stretched felt.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎