Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • C.H.O.A.M.
    learning all the time
    • Sep 15, 2010

Snoopy for the win. C'mon, he was Joe Cool!!

And I always liked Heathcliff. I thought the artwork was much better than Garfield too, especially the way they drew Heathcliff.
    Garfield had his moments though, and there were those funny/weird things where somebody took out his lines and left only John's, so it was like he was talking to a real cat as opposed to a talking cat.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
      Hey, you were a weird kid. What can be done?
      Ha, yeah, I probably was.

I am honestly surprised, though, that I have been the only one to like Garfield better.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

I like both, but the Peanuts cartoons cemented celebrating of holidays for just about everyone. Garfield on the other hand, did sort of feel like a hot new property for us 80s kids. I can understand some seeing Schultz's themes as somewhat depressing and reflective of his own insecurities, but dang if Garfield's Christmas Special isn't a bit of a downer in its own right.

I'd also like to say that Garfield's Halloween is a masterpiece, and a great substitute for John Carpenter's The Fog for kids who are too young for that.

Let's also remember that both Garfield and Charlie Brown share some DNA, at least in animated form. Bill Melendez and Lee Mendelson were directors that worked on both Charlie Brown and Garfield cartoons.

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

I liked both but I lean a little towards the Peanuts camp, at least where Halloween is concerned. I love that spooky jazz music when Snoopy is sneaking across the fields in the middle of the night.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I like Garfield well enough. Heck, If I was a cat I'd be Garfield. I think Heathcliff is better artistically.

But Garfield can't hold a candle to Peanuts. I love the animated specials and the strip's humor and poignancy. I'm particularly fond of Linus.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• HardyGirl
              Mego Museum's Poster Girl
              • Apr 3, 2007

As much as I like Garfield, I love Snoopy more. I can't imagine my childhood w/o the Peanuts gang.
              "Do you believe, you believe in magic?
              'Cos I believe, I believe that I do,
              Yes, I can see I believe that it's magic
              If your mission is magic your love will shine true."

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

I'm surprised their hasn't been a crossover cartoon yet. It would work in the animated style of the last animated Peanuts movie.

Comment

• J.B.
                  Guild Navigator
                  • Jun 23, 2010

Gotta go with the beagle. More goal oriented.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Goblin19
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 2, 2002

Snoopy. I really love Peanuts. I like Garfield, too, but just not as much.

Comment

• tay666
                      Career Member
                      • Dec 27, 2008

Originally posted by palitoy
                      Yeah, I loved Snoopy, then moved onto Garfield and now I'm all about Bill the cat.
                      This.
                      When I was little there was only Peanuts. And they were great. Especially the holiday TV events (remember those)
                      Then Garfield came along and really stoked my sarcastic streak.
                      Bloom County was the best thing ever by the time I hit high school though, and I love it to this day.
                      Never owned any Garfield loot.
                      Remember having some Peanuts books as a kid, and some sheets and such. Maybe even an electric tooth brush, but that was it as far as cool items. Never did get that ice maker [pout]
                      Bloom County though, I tracked down all the books back in the day, and my daughter loved reading them when she was a tween. Remember having both a Bill and Opus plush too shortly after graduating high school. And one of the first things I tracked down on Napster after I got online were audio files of the 2 songs on the Death Tongue vinyl album that came in that book. As I didn't have a record player to play it on at the time.
                      I love reading the new cartoons on FB every week to this day.

Comment

• ZombieJimC
                        Persistent Member
                        • Mar 12, 2014

Originally posted by MRP

And the Peanuts TV specials were appointment TV for me growing up.
                        Same here.

Comment

• Redmiller
                          • Jun 19, 2018

Peanuts all the way. Never cared for Garfield. (Odie was pretty cool though)

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎