Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Garfield or Snoopy?

Images
    Wow, not many Garfield fans.

I think another reason I gravitated to Garfield was, when I was a kid Peanuts had been around for couple of decades. I got to see and enjoy Garfield from the beginning. I did like the characters of Snoopy and Woodstock but I found the Charlie Brown specials a little depressing. I mean, Charlie Brown got nothing but rocks in his trick or treat bag.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    Yeah, I loved Snoopy, then moved onto Garfield and now I'm all about Bill the cat.
    Ackkk ptttth!

Don't blame me...

Peanuts is my absolute favorite humor strip (followed closely by Bloom County and Calvin and Hobbes). I was never much a Garfield kind of guy (actually preferred Heathcliff when it came to comic strip cats but I came across Heathcliff first and always thought Garfield was imitating that when I fist saw it, though Garfield went on to become its own thing).

And the Peanuts TV specials were appointment TV for me growing up.

-M

I loved the Peanuts strip and of course the shows. However, I got pretty obsessed with Garfield and had a ton of the books and other stuff. Still have a pencil topper from back in the day. I never really liked the Garfield cartoons cuz he didn't sound how I imagined he did.

Images
    Peanuts, It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    Wow, not many Garfield fans.

I think another reason I gravitated to Garfield was, when I was a kid Peanuts had been around for couple of decades. I got to see and enjoy Garfield from the beginning. I did like the characters of Snoopy and Woodstock but I found the Charlie Brown specials a little depressing. I mean, Charlie Brown got nothing but rocks in his trick or treat bag.
    Hey, you were a weird kid. What can be done?

Seriously, I never found Garfield to have much, if any, charm. However, I did know a kid or two who really loved everything Garfield. I don’t remember any fine details about it with the exception that Garfield loves Lasagna. I can get on board with that aspect. lol

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Images
    Snoopy for the win. C'mon, he was Joe Cool!!

And I always liked Heathcliff. I thought the artwork was much better than Garfield too, especially the way they drew Heathcliff.
    Garfield had his moments though, and there were those funny/weird things where somebody took out his lines and left only John's, so it was like he was talking to a real cat as opposed to a talking cat.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EmergencyIan View Post
    Hey, you were a weird kid. What can be done?
    Ha, yeah, I probably was.

I am honestly surprised, though, that I have been the only one to like Garfield better.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

I like both, but the Peanuts cartoons cemented celebrating of holidays for just about everyone. Garfield on the other hand, did sort of feel like a hot new property for us 80s kids. I can understand some seeing Schultz's themes as somewhat depressing and reflective of his own insecurities, but dang if Garfield's Christmas Special isn't a bit of a downer in its own right.

I'd also like to say that Garfield's Halloween is a masterpiece, and a great substitute for John Carpenter's The Fog for kids who are too young for that.

Let's also remember that both Garfield and Charlie Brown share some DNA, at least in animated form. Bill Melendez and Lee Mendelson were directors that worked on both Charlie Brown and Garfield cartoons.
    SELL ME YOUR LOOSE MINTY WONDER WOMAN!

I liked both but I lean a little towards the Peanuts camp, at least where Halloween is concerned. I love that spooky jazz music when Snoopy is sneaking across the fields in the middle of the night.

Images
    I like Garfield well enough. Heck, If I was a cat I'd be Garfield. I think Heathcliff is better artistically.

But Garfield can't hold a candle to Peanuts. I love the animated specials and the strip's humor and poignancy. I'm particularly fond of Linus.
    WANTED: Gray AJ Mustang horse; Dale Arden dagger; Grayson SI trousers; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top portion; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors; vintage Galahad box; minty Wolfman tights; Black Knight sword; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; POTA knife-sword; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes.