• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Garfield or Snoopy?

Peanuts or Garfield?

They are both awesome and this is not to insult either one kind of thread. Which did you like best and which TV special was your favorite.

Me, I like Garfield. Still have my little Garfield plush from when I was a kid. So cute. My favorite special is Garfield Halloween. It is SO good and has aged really well. It's funny, spooky and has haunted house and ghost pirates. What's not to love?
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Makernaut
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2015

Snoopy all the way for me. Loved the Peanuts and learned to draw them from my Dad. He was a fair imitator of Schulz's style and a big fan so I probably didn't have a choice. Not that I don't appreciate Garfield, though. Just had a big dose of Peanuts early on.
    Got to see some of Tom Everhart's work in Las Vegas in 2012 and it really made me remember how much I love Peanuts.

Mark Evanier has done a great job keeping Garfield going on TV with voice work coming from some of the greats of TV. Sadly, several of them have died recently like Chuck McCann, Rose Marie, and June Foray.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
      Moderation Engineer
      • Aug 14, 2003

All in on Peanuts, but I like Garfield too. Charlie Brown Christmas by a mile for my favorite cartoon. My family likes the Garfield movies that Bill Murray voiced.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah, I loved Snoopy, then moved onto Garfield and now I'm all about Bill the cat.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EmergencyIan
          Museum Paramedic
          • Aug 31, 2005

Snoopy

- Ian
          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Never read or seen Garfield or Heathcliff when they got popular in the 80's…

For the longest time I thought they were the same character with different names

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I'm more of a Peanuts guy, but I like both, and I had collections of both as a kid, but I had more Peanuts books and merchandise, despite having the 80s mandatory-issued suction-cup Garfield.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Brown Bear
                Still Old School
                • Feb 14, 2008

Snoopy easily!
                Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Marvelmania
                  A Ray of Sunshine
                  • Jun 17, 2001

Snoopy was the man (Dog) when I was a kid but as I got older I loved Garfield's attitude.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
                    Career Member
                    • Nov 22, 2011

Snoopy hands down.
                    "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Wow, not many Garfield fans.

I think another reason I gravitated to Garfield was, when I was a kid Peanuts had been around for couple of decades. I got to see and enjoy Garfield from the beginning. I did like the characters of Snoopy and Woodstock but I found the Charlie Brown specials a little depressing. I mean, Charlie Brown got nothing but rocks in his trick or treat bag.
                      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• MRP
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by palitoy
                        Yeah, I loved Snoopy, then moved onto Garfield and now I'm all about Bill the cat.
                        Ackkk ptttth!

Don't blame me...

Peanuts is my absolute favorite humor strip (followed closely by Bloom County and Calvin and Hobbes). I was never much a Garfield kind of guy (actually preferred Heathcliff when it came to comic strip cats but I came across Heathcliff first and always thought Garfield was imitating that when I fist saw it, though Garfield went on to become its own thing).

And the Peanuts TV specials were appointment TV for me growing up.

-M
                        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Iron Mego
                          Wake Up Heavy
                          • Jan 31, 2010

I loved the Peanuts strip and of course the shows. However, I got pretty obsessed with Garfield and had a ton of the books and other stuff. Still have a pencil topper from back in the day. I never really liked the Garfield cartoons cuz he didn't sound how I imagined he did.
                          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Remco Monster
                            GLOWS in the Dark!
                            • May 3, 2006

Peanuts, It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                              Museum Paramedic
                              • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Werewolf
                              Wow, not many Garfield fans.

I think another reason I gravitated to Garfield was, when I was a kid Peanuts had been around for couple of decades. I got to see and enjoy Garfield from the beginning. I did like the characters of Snoopy and Woodstock but I found the Charlie Brown specials a little depressing. I mean, Charlie Brown got nothing but rocks in his trick or treat bag.
                              Hey, you were a weird kid. What can be done?

Seriously, I never found Garfield to have much, if any, charm. However, I did know a kid or two who really loved everything Garfield. I don’t remember any fine details about it with the exception that Garfield loves Lasagna. I can get on board with that aspect. lol

- Ian
                              Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎