Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Justice League animated figures exclusive to DC streaming service.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

New Justice League animated figures exclusive to DC streaming service.

You can only buy these figures if you subscribe to their streaming service. That's kinda lame.

Nice looking figures but, yeah, I'm gonna pass.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • pmwasson
    Maker
    • Sep 12, 2007

Well, if somebody was interested in the service anyway, they could buy the figures and flip then to offset the cost of the service.
    sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• LordMudd
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 22, 2011

Wrong scale, they can have them.

CCC.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

^They are in scale with the BTAS figures they've been making, so they are in scale with those, and there are a ton of them.

This is really odd that they are offering this through this service. These would easily sell better than some of the more obscure DC Collectible offerings. I work in marketing, but I don't understand most of the "exclusive" thinking in both the toy and comic industries.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
          ^They are in scale with the BTAS figures they've been making, so they are in scale with those, and there are a ton of them.

This is really odd that they are offering this through this service. These would easily sell better than some of the more obscure DC Collectible offerings. I work in marketing, but I don't understand most of the "exclusive" thinking in both the toy and comic industries.

Chris
          the point isn't to sell a lot of these action figures, the point is to get as many people subscribing to the streaming service as possible, thus offering exclusive content as incentive. They know what their market is for toys, what they need to do is create a market for their streaming service offering DC toys, comics and shows to cast as wide a net as possible. The uncertainty here is how many people will sign up for the service and they are investing a lot in this venture, so it needs to produce revenue, not the extra toy sales they would get selling these figures to a wider audience.

-M
          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, but it also ticks off a segment of their market, since they are offering figures people would actually want, and many feel cheated by having to subscribe to something they aren't interested in.

My family will probably subscribe anyway, but it does seem weird to take such a popular line and stick it over in a corner, away from part of your audience.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

They're nice but I think I have at least three of each of those characters due to all the 3 packs I bought. So, I'm good.
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MRP
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2016

^Yeah, but it also ticks off a segment of their market, since they are offering figures people would actually want, and many feel cheated by having to subscribe to something they aren't interested in.

My family will probably subscribe anyway, but it does seem weird to take such a popular line and stick it over in a corner, away from part of your audience.

Chris
                I get that, but at the end of the day they are not a toy company, they are an entertainment media company. That's where their bread and butter is, and if a promotion builds a customer base for their new entertainment media platform at the cost of a small portion of their toy customer base, then they still win on the balance sheet. At the end of the day,they are not going to survive on the revenue from just the toy segment of their customer base, and it's not like they are going to lose that entire revenue stream doing this. Toys are auxiliary income, this streaming platform is the foundation of their business model moving forward. So what should their priority be in this?

-M
                Last edited by MRP; Jun 28, '18, 2:13 PM.
                "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^I see your point. I do wonder how the toy division feels about having their offerings limited in availability.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• MRP
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 19, 2016

^I see your point. I do wonder how the toy division feels about having their offerings limited in availability.

Chris
                    Well, there is no hard limit though. Anyone who subscribes can order these, and there is no middle man as they are sold direct to customers, so no having to sell to retailers with limited budgets who have to buy/stock only to their potential initial sales on these (i.e. probably only to preorders from customers with few for the shelves). If subscriptions are robust, they could potentially sell as well as something sold to the Direct Market only (like all the DC Direct action figures are) or perhaps even better if the demand is there, and if the demand isn't there, they weren't going to sell well on the direct market anyways.

-M

Comment

• TrekStar
                      Trek or Treat
                      • Jan 20, 2011

I wouldn't be suprised if we start seeing these figures go up on amazon or ebay in the near future, people aren't stupid, they know that some folks want these but don't want to subscribe, as long as DC streaming service gets there
                      percentage cut.

Comment

• hedrap
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by MRP
                        the point isn't to sell a lot of these action figures, the point is to get as many people subscribing to the streaming service as possible, thus offering exclusive content as incentive. They know what their market is for toys, what they need to do is create a market for their streaming service offering DC toys, comics and shows to cast as wide a net as possible. The uncertainty here is how many people will sign up for the service and they are investing a lot in this venture, so it needs to produce revenue, not the extra toy sales they would get selling these figures to a wider audience.

-M
                        Its to see if they can streamline ancillary revenues instead of using a third party, (Amazon, Ent Eart etc...). IOW, create a QVC arm of DC product. They're not expecting a subscriber bump for it. They want it publicized to brand differentiate from other sub streaming services. Exclusive merch is something WWE has considered doing, and WWE Network is the model they're following. WWE will eventually merge the Network with a larger service whereas DC already has the ATT pipeline. The irony is after the CBS-Paramount wars are over, ATT could buy out CW and turn it back into the WB Network and give it a massive push.

Comment

• enyawd72
                          Maker of Monsters!
                          • Oct 1, 2009

Ah...exclusives. The bane of toy collecting. I'm so glad they practically never do this with model kits.

Comment

• alex
                            Permanent Member
                            • Jun 15, 2009

Well I would love these, I dont collect modern, but went ape on the batman line, and collected the whole lot in a year. So is anyone subscribing and not buying

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎