X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

DIY Custom Coffin Boxes

Ever since I snagged a few old Joe's at Mego Meet, I've fell back in love with the GI Joe Adventure Team.

I've been thinking that a reproduction coffin box wouldn't be that hard to make and wondering if anyone here has attempted this before?

I'm thinking I can pull the back off a legal sized paper note pad to use for the right thickness of chipboard. Also thinking some high-res box art won't be hard to find.

The biggest obstacle is the printing itself. I doubt my local print shop has sticker paper that large and not sure if gluing paper to this would give the desired look.

Just curious whether anyone tried this before and is willing to offer advice.

All for one, and one for all!
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home
  • Makernaut
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2015

I've played with the idea, too, and I agree that the biggest obstacle would be printing something I'd be pleased with.

I was looking at these coffin boxes from Cotswold, but haven't tried them to know what the quality is like. The unfolded ones seem pretty cost-effective per unit, but that's before shipping. An assembled one is $2.50 and I thought I might try one next time I make an order.

https://www.gijoeelite.com/Elite-Bri...24-Unassembled

https://www.gijoeelite.com/Elite-Bri...-Box-Assembledhttps://www.gijoeelite.com/Elite-Bri...-Box-Assembled

Comment

• LordMudd
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 22, 2011

Look for 'gift boxes' at Halloween time in the craft stores.

CCC.

Comment

• Brown Bear
        Still Old School
        • Feb 14, 2008

I was looking at those too Makernaut, seems easy to recreate.

Comment

• Neutron X
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 22, 2007

You can go old school and buy chipboard and create like originals pasting color copies on. Cottswald sells blank generic boxes(easy peazy) just use spray adhesive on art copy and your there. Check You tube for HOW TOs.
          I used to sell them years back but no time now ect. Joes guys are not like Mego guys and are not as helpful though there is someone selling a CD with Joe boxes on Ebay currently (Great idea just haven't tried them.) It's not rocket science so if you can do a Mego box you can do this. Have fun!

Try to be careful where you source your images from if you ever decide to sell, some of the nuts out there are lawyers so make sure where you get pics from. 99.5% of my images I either owned the original or a friend did. I used to pay sellers on Ebay to copy boxes for me and few even scanned them for free. Many, many, great fans out there but man there are some crooks and weirdies too. Don't let them get in the way.
          028 (2) by edtime5, on Flickr8 Ropes of Danger Custom figure box by edtime5, on Flickr
          1970s Talker Boxes by edtime5, on Flickr

Comment

• Makernaut
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 22, 2015

^ Those are fantastic!

I have a guy I have been buying from, but he is not offering a few things I have need of. Specifically, some Captain Action stuff I would like to have. That's why I am interested at trying my hand on some custom stuff that probably only I would want. Otherwise, I like supporting people that are already really good at this kind of stuff.

Comment

• Brown Bear
              Still Old School
              • Feb 14, 2008

Thanks Neutron X, very helpful. The boxes look great. Hadn't thought about spray adhesive. Great idea.

Comment

• Neutron X
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 22, 2007

Originally posted by Brown Bear
                Thanks Neutron X, very helpful. The boxes look great. Hadn't thought about spray adhesive. Great idea.
                Glad to be of help. I love the art on these Joe boxes and I can remember spending hours coping some of them as a kid. I learned how to use Photoshop just to make these boxes. Spray mount works well but on these I actually used glue stick. Never use old glue sticks because they can peel up over time. Not that it has ever happened to me.

Comment

• Neutron X
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 22, 2007

Originally posted by Makernaut
                  ^ Those are fantastic!

I have a guy I have been buying from, but he is not offering a few things I have need of. Specifically, some Captain Action stuff I would like to have. That's why I am interested at trying my hand on some custom stuff that probably only I would want. Otherwise, I like supporting people that are already really good at this kind of stuff.
                  Did you try Ray F. here? He does great Captain Action uniform boxes.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎