X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Meanie
    Banned
    • Jun 23, 2001

Coloring an original Mego head...

Is there anyway to color/dye a Mego head? Looking to try and get started on doing a custom of an Ultraforce character named Topaz. She has a blue/indigo flesh color and I was thinking of dyeing/coloring a female mego head. I know that a sharpie get literally into the vinyl...but would dyeing it instead of using a sharpie work better? Do Mego heads take well to dyeing?

• PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Using a Sharpie for detailing is a mistake--the color can bled and migrate. IDK about coloring a whole head, seems potentially uneven and a lot of work when you can dye it.

Dye can work very well indeed to tint vinyl heads. (I suspect you will need to use the new dye for synthetics, as Rit reformulated their standard dye.)

You will need to take into account the base tone, as you will be tinting a shade into the original color or vinyl and the original color can contribute to finished shade. Dyeing a flesh-tone head blue will likely wield a nice indigo color. Tinting a head will not affect the painted deco.

I use the stovetop method to maintain a very hot dyebath, adding a little salt supposedly helps the permanency of the dye. I have dyed many vinyl heads and parts, but I've not yet used the newest synthetic dyes.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Jun 24, '18, 9:01 PM. Reason: typo
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
      Banned
      • Jun 23, 2001

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      Using a Sharpie for detailing is a mistake--the color can bled and migrate. IDK about coloring a whole head, seems potentially uneven and a lot of work when you can dye it.

Dye can work very well indeed to tint vinyl heads. (I suspect you will need to use the new dye for synthetics, as Rit reformulated their standard dye.)

You will need to take into account the base tone, as you will be tinting a shade into the original color or vinyl and the original color can contribute to finished shade. Dyeing a flesh-tone head blue will likely wield a nice indigo color. Tinting a head will not affect the painted deco.

I use the stovetop method to maintain a very hot dyebath, adding a little salt supposedly helps the permancy of the dye. I have dyed many vinyl heads and parts, but I've not yet used the newest synthetic dyes.
      Thanks...that is basically a guide I was looking for. I'm assuming that cutting the hair and taking it out and then re-rooting after the head is dyed would be the way to go. With no hair the dye could more permeate the inside and outside of the head if it had no hair...or is my assumption wrong?

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I have never dyed a rooted head--I've been curious about the effect on the hair: Would the hot water affect the hair, would the dye tint the hair, too? (I suspect both might happen.) I've just never tried it, though I've considered it for customs like She-Hulk and ST TOS' Vina.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• robbo1970
          • Oct 2, 2010

I have a slightly related question regarding colouring heads.

The BBP Six Million Dollar Man heads are really pale in colour and don't have correct 70's tan than Lee Majors had at the time, or that was given to the Kenner figures.

Has anyone tried to 'tan up' a head by dipping the head in a cup of cold black tea?

I know that sounds odd, but tea is often used to add a vintage stained look to old documents.

Just a thought anyway and I'm curious to know if anyone has tried it with any success?
          Last edited by robbo1970; Jun 29, '18, 5:51 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

• rche
            channeling Bob Wills
            • Mar 26, 2008

^^ I have not tried tea for a dye, but I have used RIT tan dye to bring a zombied head back to a decent color.

I have noticed that, over time, RIT dye will fade on soft vinyls, tho it seems pretty permanent on harder PVC plastics.

Comment

• scott metzger
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by PNGwynne
              I have never dyed a rooted head--I've been curious about the effect on the hair: Would the hot water affect the hair, would the dye tint the hair, too? (I suspect both might happen.) I've just never tried it, though I've considered it for customs like She-Hulk and ST TOS' Vina.
              Haven't had much experience with dyeing heads, but I have dyed doll hair. Heat tends to straighten such hair, and most doll hair I've seen takes dyes. I imagine the Mego hair is pretty much the same. I don't think you'd see much effect on black hair, but blonde would very likely get dyed along with the head.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
                Career Member
                • Nov 22, 2011

just make a copy of the head and re-root the hair. So much easier than trial and error. I'm sure you can even find a copy of the head you're attempting here on the board.
                "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎