Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supergirl (and Poison Ivy) Have Arrived!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

Supergirl (and Poison Ivy) Have Arrived!

Supergirl and Poison Ivy Have Arrived! So did Removable Pick Cowl Batman and Super Friends Sinestro. I would be happy to post pictures of those, if requested. But for now, it's all about the ladies.

First up is Supergirl.

FTC Supergirl Packaged.jpg

Kudos to FTC for changing the character art, but keeping it compatible with the Superman Series. Supergirl on the back is also replaced with the skirt version, which the other characters remain the same. That was a nice touch. But yes, it's a typical FTC female body. As you will see, I can adjust the body, but it can just as easily go back to it's natural, deformed state while trying to fix the costume and hair.

FTC Supergirl 2.jpg

FTC Supergirl 3.jpg

Yep, same head with updated paint app. It works for me. Despite the plastic head wrap, the hair still needs some after package work. I don't know why FTC likes the shiny material for the Bronze Age characters. It was a big fail on Batman, but it's not too bad here with the cape and the skirt. Batman proved that shiny material trunks do not work (and thankfully, that was a lesson learned when making Bronze Age Superman). And the belt loops on the skirt! They line up with the top of the skirt! HOORAY! It looks good with the real belt. I know some don't like the boots. I like the design, but I do wish they were made with the old, hard plastic hero boot material. I have an extra pair of tall red boots from Dr. Mego, but I don't know whether I want to swap them yet. These do make her a tad tall though.

So, what's under that skirt?...

IMG_8676.jpg

FTC made a nice, one piece leotard and even went the extra step of using red undies. I would have been fine if the whole piece was blue, so that was nice. The costume is a little loose at the top; making it a little more snug would have been nice, but it doesn't hurt the figure.

But, what does hurt the figure, besides the typical FTC body, is this...

FTC Supergirl 5.jpg

Frustrating. FTC's biggest problem has been and always will be their quality. And since I haven't sewn since elementary school Home Economics (that's so long ago, that they don't even use that name for the class anymore, LOL!), I can't fix this, so I will be firing off any email to FTC on Monday. It's too bad because, even with the body issue, it's a solid figure. A lot of thought went into this figure, from the costume design to the repainted face. All to be ruined by some bad seam work. Ugh. And dealing with FTC customer service is Double Ugh!

But there you have it! The Figures Toys Company Supergirl Skirt Variant.
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

A couple of Supergirl comparison pictures for your enjoyment!

Old & New Supergirl:
    IMG_8681.jpg

Kara Zor-El and (a weakened) Kal-El:
    IMG_8682.jpg

Just because
    IMG_8674.jpg

Comment

• TRDouble
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 10, 2012

And I added Poison Ivy because MAAAAAN, is this a bad figure! First, it was shipped in a bubble wrap bag (is this FTC's new Factory Bag?, like something I would get at the flea market.

There was no plastic head wrap, so the hair is a real mess and is shedding pretty badly.

The head piece will NOT stay on. Believe me, I've tried to keep it on many different ways and the only way it doesn't pop off is it it's over her eyes.

And maybe I missed the stories, but when did Ivy because an exhibitionist? Because that top is not made from staying up and covering her up. FTC definitely put some effort into the costume, but cheap out in the end when they did not use clear straps. Yeah, along with my Supergirl's cape issue, my joy from getting a package turned to frustration really quick. If I have to exchange Supergirl, Poison Ivy will be return for a refund.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present loose, "factory bag" Poison Ivy...

IMG_8680.jpg

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I will never understand some of FTC's design choices, and Ivy is a perfect example. Some figures like she and Plastic Man would have benefitted from screened bodysuits.
        Last edited by PNGwynne; Jun 24, '18, 3:05 PM.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Giant Sized Supergirl?
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
            Moderation Engineer
            • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by TRDouble
            And I added Poison Ivy because MAAAAAN, is this a bad figure! First, it was shipped in a bubble wrap bag (is this FTC's new Factory Bag?, like something I would get at the flea market.

There was no plastic head wrap, so the hair is a real mess and is shedding pretty badly.

The head piece will NOT stay on. Believe me, I've tried to keep it on many different ways and the only way it doesn't pop off is it it's over her eyes.

And maybe I missed the stories, but when did Ivy because an exhibitionist? Because that top is not made from staying up and covering her up. FTC definitely put some effort into the costume, but cheap out in the end when they did not use clear straps. Yeah, along with my Supergirl's cape issue, my joy from getting a package turned to frustration really quick. If I have to exchange Supergirl, Poison Ivy will be return for a refund.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23066[/ATTACH]
            In your picture Ivy looks like a dude in a Halloween wig.

Comment

• TRDouble
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by thunderbolt
              Giant Sized Supergirl?
              It has to be those rubber boots. Swap them out and she probably goes down in height.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

It has to be those rubber boots. Swap them out and she probably goes down in height.
                that big old lollypop noggin isn't helping.
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• JediJaida
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 14, 2008

Poison Ivy makes me think of Matt Smith in drag! What an ugly sculpt!
                  JediJaida

Comment

• Gramercyplace
                    Museum Super Collector
                    • Jan 23, 2012

I got one of the Mary Marvel (Invisible Girl sculpt) carrot-haired heads to replace that monstrous Daisy Duke head. Also, the FTC body had to go in place of an original Mego one. A little double sided tape on the bust works nicely to keep the costume in its proper place! Now I love her!

Comment

• TrekStar
                      Trek or Treat
                      • Jan 20, 2011

I still like Supergirl, the head is a bit big, but that's been FTC motto for a while, and you probably already knew that the female body was not going to be very good, but you can always swap one of Doc's female PVC bodies which are not all that bad, or find a female mego body on eBay, as far as the seam work on the cape, it's too bad people just don't give a darn and send it out anyway, but still overall it's a nice figure.

And that's not Poison Ivy, it's the jolly green giant in drag, who's kidding who here?

Comment

• Mary Canary
                        Career Member
                        • Jun 21, 2017

I am so sorry about your joy turning to frustration. I know this feeling from my recent Apache Chief & Lex Luthor purchase. I ordered both in factory bags. One of them came in the bubble wrap you described. Apache Chief's arm was busted and his head was loose. Lex Luthor had a similar issue with tailoring and the stitches not attaching things correctly on the costume. I know these are probably put together in the cheapest overseas factory they can get, where QC isn't really tops on the list, but really how many mistakes can they make before they lose customers? I want to support them and collect their figures but it's almost not worth the frustration...

I sent Apache Chief and Lex Luthor back, with a letter explaining I wanted to exchange Chief and refund Luthor. They refunded me for both. They probably didn't want to pay to ship a replacement Apache Chief, even though it was their mistake for sending a broken figure. I didn't bother emailing to let them know I had requested an exchange. But if you end up sending back both figures and want to exchange / refund, beware they may do the same to you.

I think the Supergirl figure is nice overall. I can't figure out why she seems so much bigger than the other figures though. Surely they used the same head as before, just with a different paint job. And those boots can't have 1 inch heels. But she looks like a totally different scale. Lovely still. Just odd.

Hope everything works out for you!

Comment

• Your pal, Jim
                          Museum Patron
                          • Apr 3, 2015

Cool, thanks for the pics!

Comment

• TRDouble
                            Permanent Member
                            • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by Mary Canary
                            I am so sorry about your joy turning to frustration. I know this feeling from my recent Apache Chief & Lex Luthor purchase. I ordered both in factory bags. One of them came in the bubble wrap you described. Apache Chief's arm was busted and his head was loose. Lex Luthor had a similar issue with tailoring and the stitches not attaching things correctly on the costume. I know these are probably put together in the cheapest overseas factory they can get, where QC isn't really tops on the list, but really how many mistakes can they make before they lose customers? I want to support them and collect their figures but it's almost not worth the frustration...

I sent Apache Chief and Lex Luthor back, with a letter explaining I wanted to exchange Chief and refund Luthor. They refunded me for both. They probably didn't want to pay to ship a replacement Apache Chief, even though it was their mistake for sending a broken figure. I didn't bother emailing to let them know I had requested an exchange. But if you end up sending back both figures and want to exchange / refund, beware they may do the same to you.

I think the Supergirl figure is nice overall. I can't figure out why she seems so much bigger than the other figures though. Surely they used the same head as before, just with a different paint job. And those boots can't have 1 inch heels. But she looks like a totally different scale. Lovely still. Just odd.

Hope everything works out for you!
                            Thanks.

Not that it makes a real difference in my experience, but I am done with loose bagged figures. I am 1 for 3 with loose figures, and the one was a replacement for the first Superboy I received, which had a belt loop hanging on by a thread (in retrospect, wish I kept it and removed all of the belt loops!).

FTC is still churning out figures, but I have to think that they have lost a fair amount of customers. I know that I rarely buy without getting other people's thoughts or pictures. In the past, I would have jumped on a figure like Space Ghost. Now, it's a relief that I waited.

I usually get a replacement from FTC, but it's always a hassle with shipping. I always end up paying to ship it back (which is ridiculous when it's an issue with THEIR QC, not a change-my-mind return) and then they want to see if they can ship it with a future order to save THEM money.

I keep buying because when they hit on a figure, it's a great thing, and when they come close, I am willing to suck it up and "fix" the figure to my liking.

It's just amazing how so many have failed in reproducing the Mego-type figure right. From FTC and their multiple issues, to Bif! Bang! Pow! and their big head issues, to Mattel and their disaster of a marionette body. EMCE/DST seemed to get it right with their Star Trek repros (at least, I never had any issues) and POTA repros, and I am always disappointed that I missed out on Castaway Toys and ZICA Toys 8" offerings because I have only heard good things about their figures.

At least my SF Sinestro and Pink RC 1966 Batman are fine. Love the Batman and the longer belt they included with the RC Batmans. I wish they sold those as parts, with the Bat-logo.

Comment

• TRDouble
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by tjacwave50
                              I still like Supergirl, the head is a bit big, but that's been FTC motto for a while, and you probably already knew that the female body was not going to be very good, but you can always swap one of Doc's female PVC bodies which are not all that bad, or find a female mego body on eBay, as far as the seam work on the cape, it's too bad people just don't give a darn and send it out anyway, but still overall it's a nice figure.

And that's not Poison Ivy, it's the jolly green giant in drag, who's kidding who here?
                              Funny, but the one good thing about Ivy is the body is perfect! I prefer the FTC female figures when they are strung correctly.

Originally posted by Gramercyplace
                              I got one of the Mary Marvel (Invisible Girl sculpt) carrot-haired heads to replace that monstrous Daisy Duke head. Also, the FTC body had to go in place of an original Mego one. A little double sided tape on the bust works nicely to keep the costume in its proper place! Now I love her!
                              Maybe... maybe I will try and fix her up. I'm not a fan of the Mary Marvel IG head, so I don't mind pulling it off that figure (really, I'm not a fan of either Mary Marvel figure, head sculpt or costume) and re-using it. As stated above, the body is fine; just need to keep that costume up on her!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎