X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

DC 100 Page Giants return at Walmart

The 100 page giants were before my time, but I loved picking them up in the late 80s and early 90s at flea markets and comic shops.

At $4.99, these are quite a deal, and it's good to see comics getting out there where kids and non-comic-shop goers can find them.

Chris
    sigpic
  • emeraldknight47
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 20, 2011

I just read a post about this over on Facebook. I wonder if this might be any type of precursor to finding out Walmart will be the initial and exclusive retailer for the new MEGO figures...
    sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• MEMEGO
      Career Member
      • Sep 6, 2007

I am thinking Walmart will be the carrier of the New MEGO Figures. I hope so, even though it is hard to get to a WALMART in my area, its miles away and only have one.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

They’re also advertising toys via commercial, on ABC, in June. So, anything is possible.

- Ian
        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

Hopefully Walmart does carry the new megos, I have one in the next town about 15 minutes away.

Comment

• melstapler
            Museum Super Collector
            • Aug 2, 2014

Would be great if Walmart ends up stocking the new mego figures and if they don't there's always Target or Best Buy who stock figures.

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

I LOVED the 100 page Giants! I still have the ones I bought as a kid.
              sigpic

Comment

• emeraldknight47
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 20, 2011

I'd like 'em better if they were printing them on newsprint, but they'll likely be the same glossy stock that I despise with the garish colors. Ugh!
                sigpic Oh then, what's this? Big flashy lighty thing, that's what brought me here! Big flashy lighty things have got me written all over them. Not actually. But give me time. And a crayon.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by emeraldknight47
                  I'd like 'em better if they were printing them on newsprint, but they'll likely be the same glossy stock that I despise with the garish colors. Ugh!
                  I was kind of excited about these, until you pointed that out. I hate the glossy comics.

Comment

• The Bat
                    Batman Fanatic
                    • Jul 14, 2002

Sadly, newsprint doesn't stand the test of time.
                    sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by The Bat
                      Sadly, newsprint doesn't stand the test of time.
                      tell that to my 50 year old comics that are just fine. I'd be interested in this if it were older reprints, new Jim Lee style DC is for the birds.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MRP
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 19, 2016

Word is they already hit the shelves in some Wal*Marts a day or two ahead of the announced on sale date.

-M
                        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• MRP
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 19, 2016

As for me, I am excited about the initiative, not for me personally, but for the potential of a new generation of kids being able to find comics like we did, not knowing they want comics and seeking them out in a niche destination shop, but seeing them out in the wild, stumbling on them, and finding a window into another world. They're not for me and my generation, they're to help create a new generation of readers, and that's a good thing.

Products like this shouldn't be geared towards me. Things that excite me are not going to excite kids today, just like products geared towards my parents and my grandparents as kid didn't excite me then.

-M
                          Last edited by MRP; Jul 1, '18, 1:18 AM.
                          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by MRP
                            As for me, I am excited about the initiative, not for me personally, but for the potential of a new generation of kids being able to find comics like we did, not knowing they want comics and seeking them out in a niche destination shop, but seeing them out in the wild, stumbling on them, and finding a window into another world. They's not for me and my generation, there to help create a new generation of readers, and that's a good thing.

Products like this shouldn't be geared towards me. things that excite me are not going to excite kids today, just like products geared towards my parents and my grandparents as kid didn't excite me then.

-M
                            Very well said good Sir!!
                            sigpic

Comment

• MRP
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 19, 2016

Of course these books meant to find new audiences at a reasonable price ($5 for 100 pages) have been snapped up by ebay resellers who are now selling them for $20-$25 each. WalMart doesn't care, they get their money, but any chance of these finding a new audience is killed by these resellers buying up all the copies. I refuse to buy these from any secondary retailer at any price. If I see them in an actual Wallyworld I would pick up a copy to check them out (and neither WalMart in town has had copies, one had the empty standee, the other nada), but I will not give a dime to someone trying to flip these at the expense of them actually reaching potential new readers, especially kids, as intended. I will also not buy anything else from sellers I see flipping these, this includes direct shops who buy up copies and resell them at a higher price.

-M
                              Last edited by MRP; Jul 3, '18, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎