X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Podcasting about Gabriel's Lone Ranger

My buddy Rob Kelly and I continue our Lone Ranger discussion by taking a look at both of Gabriel's Lone Ranger lines.

The Fire and Water Podcast Network Presents a variety of geeky topics! We celebrate an assortment of favorites through standalone episodes and mini-series!

Special thanks to Brian and his Plaid Stallions site for the info and pics in our image gallery:

The Fire and Water Podcast Network Presents a variety of geeky topics! We celebrate an assortment of favorites through standalone episodes and mini-series!

Chris
    Last edited by Earth 2 Chris; Jun 21, '18, 9:54 AM.
    sigpic
  • Falstaff13
    Persistent Member
    • May 28, 2008

Excited to listen to this when I get off work. Gabriel made some great toys (with beautiful box art), and a major reason I've always loved the Lone Ranger was from having the toys as I was growing up.
    Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
    Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
      Museum Paramedic
      • Aug 31, 2005

I plan on listening late this afternoon, as well! Love the line!

- Ian
      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

That was great, Chris!! I had the same Tomart 1992 action figure guide and was fascinated with that photographic layout.

I’m happy that Gabriel/Hubley and Marx had the line. I just don’t think anyone could or would have done a better job with the line. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the horses from the lines are highly regarded as the best examples in action figure history. They’re so well done and beautiful.

Those Marx play sets sound outstanding! I feel like I’ve seen them on eBay, years ago. I can picture the sets the two of you were describing. I recall that they were nice and I wanted them, but my wife wouldn’t have it. I don’t have the extra room in an NYC apartment.

- Ian

- Ian

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Thanks for listening Ian! I don't have room for those playsets either, but man, they are gorgeous! Brian has pics at his Plaid Stallions Lone Ranger page:

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Falstaff13
            Persistent Member
            • May 28, 2008

This was a great podcast. Thanks to my dad, I was always a western fan and loved western toys. I had several of the original Gabriel line (which mixed well with the Excel Legends of the West 9" line) in the late 1970s (well, I still have them), and I agree about the gorgeous box art and just how delightful the toys were, down to the amazing accessories. I also loved the mini-comics that came with them.

As toys moved to the 3 3/4" scale, I still collected western toys, getting the Excel/Empire smaller scale of the Legends line, so I was thrilled on the Christmas where I was given the Legend of the Lone Ranger figures, getting LR, Tonto, Butch, and all of their horses at one time. I never saw those in the wild at all, but that same holiday, when I went to visit my grandmother, I discovered Buffalo Bill and Custer at a Ben Franklin's in her town, so I had all of the line by New Year's Day. I agree they should have made Wild Bill, and the chance to make Grant was a lost opportunity here (as well as for the lines for Wild Wild West and Jonah Hex, two other films with Grant as a prominent character and failed toylines). I also had the Zorro you mentioned and loved the Filmation cartoons.

I keep debating getting a Captain Action LR, since I'd like to have the red-shirted look.

I was hoping the recent film would be successful and bring toys with it, and some of what they produced was quite nice, but it of course flopped.

Thanks for a great trip down memory lane.
            Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
            Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
              Museum Paramedic
              • Aug 31, 2005

Those playsets are awesome! I also like the small sets that have the ponchos, rifles and extra saddle bags. Those come in useful for long trips that the Lone Ranger and Tonto embark upon.

- Ian

Comment

• warlock664
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 15, 2009

If I have one collecting regret (and alas, I have many), it not collecting the Gabriel Lone Ranger 10" line back in my early ebay days of the late 90s/early 00s. It's a beautiful line, and the pieces seemed much more plentiful and affordable back then (though they still aren't all that pricey).

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^I could go much deeper into the line, easily. I thin it's in the upper echelon of action figure lines as far as quality and scope.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                    Museum Paramedic
                    • Aug 31, 2005

It’s a glorious line. I wish it had come along a bit later or that I was a bit older during its heyday...or would have just learned of it and been able to collect it when I was a little kid. I would have been lost in it. I had all of the Star Wars, GI Joe, Mego and Super Powers, etc...but these would have had me. When I received the reissued line at Christmas 1981, I was instantly enthralled with it.

- Ian

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Strange confession, even though i have a big archive on PS, I don't own a single Gabriel LR item save for a loose 3 3/4" figure i bought for my son. I never had them as a kid and while I think they're glorious, I don't collect.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                        Museum Paramedic
                        • Aug 31, 2005

Brian, I’m sure you have space limits, at home, as well, and if you began collecting that line, it would take up a ton of space!

I collected it off and on, in adulthood. Right now, I really don’t collect it, at all. Unfortunately, for me and all of those interested, it’s not as easy to come by anymore, as Chris mentioned.

- Ian

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

I love this line, but (similar to Warlock) I just think I'm too late to it. I do have the Dodge City playset (courtesy of Rob here ) for the Mego AmWest set--it's awesome!!!

I keep thinking I might just get the 8 figures and horses, but nice ones aren't cheap.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎