Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defects with EMCE/Diamond Select's PLANET OF THE APES Re-issue Figures?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JamesB.
    • Dec 15, 2013

Defects with EMCE/Diamond Select's PLANET OF THE APES Re-issue Figures?

Hi All,

I recently purchased an EMCE/Diamond Select re-issue of Cornelius from eBay, and when I unpacked it from the shipping box, I noticed that there was cracking and flaking to several spots on the brown vinyl "pleather" chest piece and one of the vinyl bands to the left arm. Bits of the outer vinyl coating had chipped off and were stuck to the inside of the plastic bubble. I had not noticed any damage to the figure in the photo for the eBay auction and am thinking maybe the bumping around of the figure during shipping may have caused or worsened the problem.

Does anyone know whether this is because of the different fabric used? I have loose original Cornelius and Zira figures which I've owned for over 20 years and neither of them have any chipping of the pleather accents.

Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks very much!

-James
    Last edited by JamesB.; Sep 2, '18, 9:01 PM.
  • MEMEGO
    Career Member
    • Sep 6, 2007

Once again poor quality control and cheap materials reek their heads.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I just checked my Emce Treks and POTA in storage (consistent temperature and humidity) and they are all fine after almost ten years.

I will note, though, that modern vinyl-covered fabrics are not nearly as durable as their earlier counterparts. The constant pressure of the vinyl against the styrene bubble can cause a reaction. I've seen it with Emce Klingons, and it happens with vintage toys, too.
      Last edited by PNGwynne; Jun 21, '18, 1:16 PM.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• comicmike
        Persistent Member
        • Sep 22, 2009

I'm sad for you. I just got the last EMCE Dr Zaius from an online dealer here in Canada and he's perfect.

Comment

• Boywonder0
          Persistent Member
          • Dec 29, 2007

Originally posted by JamesB.
          Hi All,

I recently purchased an EMCE/Diamond Select re-issue of Cornelius from eBay, and when I unpacked it from the shipping box, I noticed that there was cracking and flaking to several spots on the brown vinyl "pleather" chest piece and one of the vinyl bands to the left arm. Bits of the outer vinyl coating had chipped off and were stuck to the inside of the plastic bubble. I had not noticed any damage to the figure in the photo for the eBay auction and am thinking maybe the bumping around of the figure during shipping may have caused or worsened the problem.

Does anyone know whether this is a widespread issue with the POTA re-issue figures? Could it be because of the different fabric used? I was debating whether to try and find another Cornelius, but if this is a common occurrence, then I won't bother. I have loose original Cornelius and Zira figures which I've owned for over 20 years and neither of them have any chipping of the pleather accents.

Any input would be much appreciated! Thanks very much!

-James
          It happened to me as well. Your best bet is to buy an original Mego shirt for the figure. That's what I did.

Comment

• JamesB.
            • Dec 15, 2013

Originally posted by comicmike
            I'm sad for you. I just got the last EMCE Dr Zaius from an online dealer here in Canada and he's perfect.
            I also bought the EMCE/Diamond Dr. Zaius as well, and there is no issue with it.

I own a loose vintage Dr. Zaius, but wanted to have the re-issue for the card artwork.
            Last edited by JamesB.; Aug 17, '18, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎