X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

The Legend of the Lone Ranger

I have a soft spot for this film, despite it's bad reputation. It has all the right ingredients for an epic interpretation, ala Superman The Movie, but it just doesn't quite gel. The fact that the lead isn't the greatest actor and is dubbed doesn't help.

But I still say it's a fun film, and does the character justice. Too bad the rights holders went out of their way to sue Clayton Moore, and bar him from making appearances as the character, which created even more bad will for the film.

My pal Rob Kelly had me on his Film and Water Podcast to discuss it. I had a good time defending it!

A podcast about movies old and new! Hosted by former video store employee Rob Kelly and a rotating cast of guests.

Tomorrow, he and I podcast again about Gabriel's Lone Ranger toys!

Chris
    sigpic
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

I actually like it, as well. It's much better than the recent Lone Ranger movie. And, it brought the Gabriel 9 inch figures to your and my attention, Chris. They also did that terrific 3 3/4 inch figure and horse line.

When I saw the movie at the theater, some kid stood up during the climax of the movie and said "Shoot the sucker!" I remember that because my grandfather, who took me to see the movie, got a real kick out of that.

I've seen the film, in recent years and, still, thought it was good.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

^I got the Blu-Ray a month or so ago. I watched it twice, with both of my kids, and they liked it too. I think it holds up pretty well. And they sat through the hell that was the Depp movie.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

Then Depp movie turned out to be a complete turn-off, for me. But, then again, I’m the guy who’d prefer only to see superheroes in their traditional/classic costumes.

You know, I was a big fan of the Clayton Moore series and of him in general. I recall that lawsuit and the entire mess, but I did not know or recall the that it was the filmmakers who were behind the whole thing. What a misstep and cruel thing to have done. Clayton Moore wasn’t going to harm their movie.

After all that, it’s a good movie. At this point, the only thing that taints it for me is that lawsuit. Otherwise, I think the served the story and legacy well. It was traditional and fun! The beauty of Westerns is that they’re were already period pieces when made...so, they hold up well decades later, if they were well done in the first place.

- Ian
        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

I love Westerns, but that’s not one of them...
          sigpic

Comment

• Makernaut
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

Chris
            Right on!

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I admire the 9" toys and I enjoyed this film. It was one, like Clash of the Titans, that I saw often in HBO rotation. The related 4" toyline was fun and I had several.

I recall the bad press about Moore and the bad reviews, but to me as a kid it seemed an acceptable updating of the Moore/Silverheels films I had seen.

I need to revisit it, I like the Lone Ranger and had hopes for Disney's version, but it didn't gel, either. It really suffers in comparison to a reboot like Bandaras' Zorro.
              Last edited by PNGwynne; Jun 20, '18, 4:31 PM.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

i always liked this one too. could have done without the narrating though.

also have to admit I like the Depp version. it's not really lone ranger but I enjoy it nonetheless

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

For some reason, I remember studying the painting advertising the film on the back of a box of Cheerios. I revisited the movie about 2 years ago. The rhyming narration was a little weird, but the film was definitely a product of its time... sort of like the Superman the Movie of this character.

Comment

• Falstaff13
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 28, 2008

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                    I definitely want to hear that--I love both the 9" line and the 3 3/4" ones for the film.

I agree it's underrated as a film, and I need to get it on disc and see it again.
                    Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                    Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• MEMEGO
                      Career Member
                      • Sep 6, 2007

I have always loved this movie and the sound track. its a highly underrated movie.

Comment

• melstapler
                        Museum Super Collector
                        • Aug 2, 2014

The 2003 Lone Ranger isn't terrible by any means, but having LR and Tonto face these major life experiences at such a young age means the timeline of the story seems to be altered to fit this formula. In that respect, the comparison to Smallville seems quite accurate.

Obviously the stories from the classic tv series will be very different today, but I'd like to see a tough, masculine actor in the vein of a Clayton Moore or John Hart cast as LR/Reid. The Johnny Depp portrayal of Tonto was deemed disrespectful by some viewers and whether intentional or not, gave the suggested appearance that it was a mockery of Native American customs and practices.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

the biggest issue with the Depp movie, if they tried to make it a comedy. casting Reid as a buffoon and Tonto as a mad man. I like the movie for what it is, but it is not a Lone Ranger movie

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎