Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pop vs soda vs coke and other regional differences.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by PNGwynne
    Eh, I haven't had that in years, with the cheese curds? I could eat a dish right now.
    I don't eat a lot of poutine, it's insanely high in calories and i'm also a bit finicky about how it's prepared. I just honestly just meant putting brown gravy on fries with a ton of white vinegar in my case.

And this is usually where you get that:

Every single one of my family adventures usually lands us at one of these.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Only food trucks around these parts is the occasional Sabrett hot dog truck

Comment

• Marvelmania
        A Ray of Sunshine
        • Jun 17, 2001

Ok so that clears that up.

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

I can't eat poutine, I think it's disgusting and horrific for your heath. But I do love getting fresh cut fries from a chip truck. That's usually the only time I use vinegar instead of ketchup on my fries, not sure why. Chip trucks are pretty big in Canada, I live in the sticks and even we have at least three of them locally.

Oh, and here it's definitely pop, not soda. I don't understand the places that call everything "coke". How do conversations like that work: "What do you want to drink?" "I'll have a coke". "What kind?" "Sprite". That's just odd.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
            Museum Paramedic
            • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by cjefferys
            I can't eat poutine, I think it's disgusting and horrific for your heath. But I do love getting fresh cut fries from a chip truck. That's usually the only time I use vinegar instead of ketchup on my fries, not sure why. Chip trucks are pretty big in Canada, I live in the sticks and even we have at least three of them locally.

Oh, and here it's definitely pop, not soda. I don't understand the places that call everything "coke". How do conversations like that work: "What do you want to drink?" "I'll have a coke". "What kind?" "Sprite". That's just odd.
            Generally, where they call all soft drinks “Coke,” it’s already fairly backwards. So, I don’t think most give it a second thought.

- Ian
            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Marvelmania
              A Ray of Sunshine
              • Jun 17, 2001

Calling people and areas "Backwards" really? Why not attack people's accents too?

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

I don't think I've even lived in an area that had food trucks.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by rykerw1701
                  That's Poutine, and it's a French Canadian dish. Throw in some gravy and you're good to go. My wife is from Montreal and that's a household favorite.
                  Yes, poutine. I've had it twice when I vacationed in Canada (Toronto and Quebec City). Brian just mentioned the gravy, and I got a little confused because I didn't know fries were sometimes served with only the gravy. I think the gravy is important, the one serving I had featured a light, well-seasoned gravy. The other was saltier and gloppy.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Wee67
                    Museum Correspondent
                    • Apr 2, 2002

The New York Times has a 25-question quiz asking you how you pronounce certain words or what you call certain things. At the end it tells where in the US you are likely from. (I'd be curious where it tells Candian members where they are from). It was able to tell me I'm from Philly even though it didn't ask the sub/grinder/hoagie questions. (It's a hoagie!)

What does the way you speak say about where you’re from? Answer all the questions below to see your personal dialect map.
                    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                      Museum Paramedic
                      • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Marvelmania
                      Calling people and areas "Backwards" really? Why not attack people's accents too?
                      It may be harsh, but it’s true. I happen to come from the part of a the country (southern Indiana) where many people refer to soft drinks as “coke.” So, I have some inside knowledge about the community.

- Ian
                      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Marvelmania
                        A Ray of Sunshine
                        • Jun 17, 2001

As do I living in eastern TN and there are so many stereo types from living in the south it's nuts. Just calling all soft drinks "Coke" is more of a slang for that area but it doesn't necessary make them "Backwards". That said I wouldn't call anyone "Backwards" for the way they were brought up or for their slang. I think "different" might be a better word to use. It can be funny and amusing but when I hear 'backwards" IMO it just referrers to people being ignorant or stupid.
                        I like you and your posts so this one caught me a little off-guard. It's nothing personal, just a difference of opinion.

Comment

• cjefferys
                          Duke of Gloat
                          • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by Wee67
                          The New York Times has a 25-question quiz asking you how you pronounce certain words or what you call certain things. At the end it tells where in the US you are likely from. (I'd be curious where it tells Candian members where they are from). It was able to tell me I'm from Philly even though it didn't ask the sub/grinder/hoagie questions. (It's a hoagie!)
                          In my part of Canada, our accent is considered "Standard Canadian English" which is very similar to "General American" aka "newscaster accent", with a touch of "Canadian raising" (the thing that makes Americans think we pronounce words like "about" differently, although we do not literally say "aboot", we're not Scottish).

I took the above test and the three US cities my accent is apparently closest to are Detroit, Grand Rapids and Minneapolis/St. Paul. It's funny, because the US city I'm closest to is Buffalo, NY but they definitely have a noticeable accent to me (many Buffalonians pronounce words like "map" and "mop" almost interchangeably).

BTW, the quiz did ask me the sub/grinder/hoagie question, and for me it's a sub. A couple of questions I didn't really have an answer to, like what do you call the strip of grass between the sidewalk and road. Um, nothing. And man, some regions have weird names for sun-showers!

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Marvelmania
                            Just calling all soft drinks "Coke" is more of a slang for that area but it doesn't necessary make them "Backwards".
                            No, but it still does make them wrong. It should be called "Pop" of course.

I do hope no one takes any of this seriously. It's meant all in good fun.

I mean there's an entire movie making fun of mid western accents.

You betcha!
                            Last edited by Werewolf; Apr 4, '19, 12:31 PM. Reason: typos
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by cjefferys
                              In my part of Canada, our accent is considered "Standard Canadian English" which is very similar to "General American" aka "newscaster accent", with a touch of "Canadian raising" (the thing that makes Americans think we pronounce words like "about" differently, although we do not literally say "aboot", we're not Scottish).
                              I worked with a guy from Belleville that said "hoose" and "aboot" all day long, I never brought it up but yeah, they do exist.

Slightly North of us, 2/3 of my wife's family speaks a language called "Frenglish" and there is a strong leaning to make every statement sound like a question.

ie "I went down to the store?"
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
                                Inhuman
                                • Jul 14, 2003

Anyone remember SNL's Bill Swerski's Super Fans? "Da Bears! Da Bulls!" People find mid western accents hilarious. Uffdah.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎