Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pop vs soda vs coke and other regional differences.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
    ^Hmmm, that's a new one on me. Sounds like something I would have eaten along the way if I'd seen it!

Chris
    Here's what it looks like, Chris:

It's much, much better than it looks in the jar. Nice thin slices of BBQed pork.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• SWBL5252
      Museum Patron
      • Jun 12, 2012

In Ohio it’s called POP

Comment

• TomStrong
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 22, 2011

Originally posted by Makernaut
        This is an observation I carry around at the front of my mind and it plays right into this subject. Things were a lot more interesting when one could travel the country and find each place to have little flourishes here and there that made it distinct from some other region. Now, almost everything is homogeneous. I go places now and it all looks the same (Panera Bread, Walmart, Lowe's, Old Navy, Olive Garden, Barnes and Noble) and all the same stuff is on radio and TV. About the only distinctiveness left is going someplace where they still call it "pop" and not "soda" (or whatever sameness we all are moving toward).
        I agree! It’s happening slowly with language as well. Regional accents and dialects are becoming more homogenous. Harder to see than restaurants and other things. I think those differences are one thing that helps make us so interesting as a nation.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Round here most chips are made by Herr's

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by SWBL5252
            In Ohio it’s called POP
            I am on a Fresca kick right now. Once a day upon coming home from work, it's like cocktail hour for me which I realize is sad, sad, sad.

But, while I have never liked 7-Up and Sprite and usually drink ginger ale and diet Coke, the less-sweet Fresca is so refreshing. That hint of grapefruit has me hooked.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Makernaut
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 22, 2015

^ I just recently started a Fresca kick, myself. I hadn't had one for years and picked some up on a whim a few weeks ago. It tasted just like a remembered it from when I was a kid and I liked it so much that I bought a second 12 pack of it when the first was gone.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

It's Pop here.
                We get it in variety stores.

The one thing I've noticed Americans have no concept of is Chip Trucks, I can walk to three from my work.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

^We usually only see those at auctions, fairs, and carnivals, etc.
                  Last edited by PNGwynne; Apr 2, '19, 7:54 PM.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Marvelmania
                    A Ray of Sunshine
                    • Jun 17, 2001

I say soda, chips trucks? As I kid we had a Charles Chips truck make a weekly stop but I have seen anything like that in 30 years.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                      Museum Paramedic
                      • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Marvelmania
                      I say soda, chips trucks? As I kid we had a Charles Chips truck make a weekly stop but I have seen anything like that in 30 years.
                      But, is that what Brian means by Chip Truck? Those Charles Chip trucks were delivery vehicles that specified deliveries.

- Ian

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                        Museum Paramedic
                        • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
                        It's Pop here.
                        We get it in variety stores.

The one thing I've noticed Americans have no concept of is Chip Trucks, I can walk to three from my work.
                        Do Chip Trucks sell what us Americans call “French fries?”

- Ian

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

yeah it's normally just a place to get a fry and gravy.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Eh, I haven't had that in years, with the cheese curds? I could eat a dish right now.

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              I am on a Fresca kick right now. Once a day upon coming home from work, it's like cocktail hour for me which I realize is sad, sad, sad.

But, while I have never liked 7-Up and Sprite and usually drink ginger ale and diet Coke, the less-sweet Fresca is so refreshing. That hint of grapefruit has me hooked.
                              If you like Fresca, you will love Squirt.
                              sigpic

Comment

• rykerw1701
                                Persistent Member
                                • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                                Eh, I haven't had that in years, with the cheese curds? I could eat a dish right now.

That's Poutine, and it's a French Canadian dish. Throw in some gravy and you're good to go. My wife is from Montreal and that's a household favorite.

And maybe this has been covered already, but speaking of gravy, to me it's the brown stuff. But to some Philly area Italians, it can be red, or tomato sauce. That's a perversion of a name, if you ask me.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎