Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pop vs soda vs coke and other regional differences.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Pop vs soda vs coke and other regional differences.

I call soft drinks Pop.

This is one of those weird regional things that kinda bug me. Calling shopping carts a buggy. It's a not a buggy. It is a SHOPPING CART!

I can relate to this.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Werewolf
    I call soft drinks Pop.

This is one of those weird regional things that kinda bug me. Calling shopping carts a buggy. It's a not a buggy. It is a SHOPPING CART!

I can relate to this.

No it's a shopping carriage. And you drink soda as you eat your grinder (not a sub or a hero). And if you get a drink of water from one of those white porcelain or gray metal water dispensers attached to the wall it's a bubbler, not a fountain. Fountains are outside in parks and such and you don't drink from them.

But I had to get used to whole new terminology when I moved from New England to Ohio.

A funny story associated with it-in the circle of my family and friends of the family growing up in New England, if someone asked you if you wanted a pop-they were asking you if you wanted an alcoholic drink, usually a cocktail or shot rather than beer or wine. When I mt and started dating the woman who I would eventually marry, I came to Ohio to meet her family for the first time for Thanksgiving. She warned me that side of her family were teetotalers, so not to expect or ask for alcohol of any kind at the meal, which was fine. So I get there, and the first thing my wife's aunt asks me is if I want a pop or something to drink. Now having never called soda pop before, and having my background, I thought she was asking me if I wanted an alcoholic drink and I was a little anxious thinking they were testing me to see if I was a lush or some such until my future wife elbowed me and said, she's asking if you want a Coke or something, we call soda pop here, to which I could only blush and stammer no thanks after sweating bullets for a moment.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by MRP
      No it's a shopping carriage.
      Sacrilege!

And you drink soda
      A soda has ice cream and pop. I do agree on bubbler though.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

Sacrilege! A soda has ice cream and pop. I do agree on bubbler though.
        Of course then there was the time I traveled down south to run a training seminar (I was in Mississippi), and I went to a diner next to my hotel and the server asked me if I wanted a Coke. I said sure. She then asked what kind of coke...we have Coca Cola, Diet Coke, Orange coke, grape coke, lemon lime coke, etc. I was confuzzled until I figured out coke was their generic term for soda (or pop as I have gotten used to calling it so I don't confuse the locals here now).

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

Sacrilege!

A soda has ice cream and pop.
          Um, pop and ice cream is a "float".

Comment

• MRP
            Persistent Member
            • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
            Um, pop and ice cream is a "float".
            Exactly!

-M

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by MRP
              I figured out coke was their generic term for soda
              It was hard to get used to that.

A big culture shock for me, in the south, was people with really thick accents always had trouble understanding me. I'm from southern Wisconsin and we barely have an accent at all if any. Seriously, you don't get into the thick "Fargo" accent until you get way into Northern Wisconsin.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Round these parts we call underwear (men's or women's) gotchie or gotchies

Example: when her skirt blew up we all seen her gotchie

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

Soda.

Coke Zero addict here, lol.

However...on that rare occasion, when I treat myself to an ice cream float...I use the real thing, the sugary Coca Cola, preferably, Mexican Coke (sugar cane). I like it with vanilla ice cream. Sorry, not into root beer floats.

And no...I don’t wanna hear any preaching on how soda is bad for you...zip it...

P.S. Best soda for tequila...Squirt.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
                    Round these parts we call underwear (men's or women's) gotchie or gotchies

Never heard that before. I've only called them briefs and panties.

Originally posted by Hector
                    Coke Zero addict here, lol.
                    That is the good stuff. Only thing that can really put a dent in my migraines.

Comment

• J.B.
                      Guild Navigator
                      • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Mikey

Example: when her skirt blew up we all seen her gotchie
                      Hey now!

Last edited by J.B.; Jun 18, '18, 12:57 AM.
                      You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Marvelmania
                        A Ray of Sunshine
                        • Jun 17, 2001

Terms I use are soda, buggy and float. So what do you call shoes? Sneakers, tennis shoes or other? Fun thread!

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                          Museum Paramedic
                          • Aug 31, 2005

Soft drinks and tennis shoes. Southern Indiana (Evansville)

- Ian
                          Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

What about hot dogs?

I've heard other people call them wieners, or even franks.

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

Lot of cricks and rivers around here are called kills

examples:
                              Catskills
                              Fishkill
                              Peekskill
                              Wallkill
                              Paulinskill
                              Bushkill
                              Schuylkill

BTW, saying Schuylkill (pronounced school kill) to somebody not from the area can be a bit awkward

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎