Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Childhood friends that didn't play with action figures..

Images
    ^ We seem to have a similar story overall when it comes to action figures, since we are the same age and come from the same region of the U.S...you from Kentucky and me from southern Indiana.

Anyhow, though I got along with them just fine, I never spoke to the guys, on sports teams, about toys. It was just an unspoken barrier, I suppose.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

I only knew one other kid who collected action figures. He had some sort of weird fixation on having everything I had.

His mom spoiled him rotten. Every time I got something new, he'd run home to tell his mom, and five minutes later we'd see them drive off to our neighborhood Kmart to buy the exact same toy.

My two younger brothers had figures too, but they mostly had 'em because my mom would buy them assuming they loved 'em as much as I did. They didn't.

I also loved Kenner SSP and Evel Knievel stunt cycles.

Images
    As I've thought about it, I had some friends who didn't really play with action figures, as they never had them. If they came over, they would play with mine and never seemed opposed to them, but if I went to their house, they had video games and sports equipment (and I suppose other types of games), but they never had figures among their toys. I definitely had some whose time of being interested in toys waned pretty quickly, and generally these were the guys who got more into sports than I ever was or did. I also never had any video game system when I was growing up, so I was more into creating play with the figures I collected (and I was definitely a collector from the start, in terms of wanting to be a completist).
    Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
    Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Images
    I just had different friends for different things. Some would want to play with action figures, some would want to play with Hotwheels and slot cars, some would want to play video games, some would just want to fly kites and shoot off model rockets and some would want to throw the baseball around. I guess I was pretty accommodating to all of those activities being as I didn't have any brothers or sisters.

Images
    I remember numberous kids who i always hid my good action figures from. I was picky with my figures and their condition, especially the paint, and I didn’t want any kids messing them up. Maybe that’s an only child thing.

- Ian

Images
    ^I had a little cousin who would come over and WRECK my toys while I was at school. His Mom would visit with mine, and while they were yakking, that kid would wander off and invariably break something. He wrecked my brand-new G1 Transformer Prowl the day after I bought it.

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Images
    ^ I can relate. I had a younger cousin who was very destructive like that. One Christmas, I got this neat, and rare, CHiPs RC patrol bike with officer. The cousin proceeded to run it down the hardwood stairs and broke it. I wanted to kill that kid. LOL

- Ian

Blog Entries
    Growing up i had my best friend Neil and the kid who shared a back yard Danny.

Neil had a few mego figures and such but he also loved sports.

Danny was sports obsessed, the only thing close to a toy he had were the Star Trek communicators, as he was a Trek fan.

We pretty much spent summers in a power struggle to play sports or action figures, it was sort of based on who got to Neil first?

It sounds like it was negative but it really wasn't, I liked Danny, he was just something of a unicorn to me.

Images
    ^ Well, that was back when kids played outside, all of the time. Even though I loved action figures, and so did my friends, when outside, we mainly did other things.

- Ian

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EmergencyIan View Post
    ^ Well, that was back when kids played outside, all of the time. Even though I loved action figures, and so did my friends, when outside, we mainly did other things.
    The majority of Canadian kids have a decent period of "Indoor time".