Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Childhood friends that didn't play with action figures..

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • acrovader
    Career Member
    • Jan 19, 2011

Childhood friends that didn't play with action figures..

Looking back over my grade school years, I had some friends that showed no real interest in action figures whatsoever and as a result came across as a bit odd to me at the time. And it wasn't like they were poor and their parents couldn't afford to buy them toys.

One friend was more into fireworks, chemistry sets, and taking apart things to see how they work. Today he's a surgeon. Another friend showed no interest in anything playable, no discernible toys, no Nintendo, etc. Suffice to say he went on to be the HR director for Harvard. Even as a kid, I thought models were boring. I'd want my dad to build it- which defeats the purpose of model-making. Or even with Legos, I'd have my dad build the Lego castle set, then I'd play with it.

Even by 5th grade, many of my chums that grew up with action figures, we trading Garbage Patch Kids cards or playing Nintendo. Why I still played Nintendo, I still showed much interest in action figures. Even so, when I was out with friends at the mall, I'd be ridiculed for buying figures at Kay-bee.

I guess, luckily for me, by high school- 1989, action figures became pretty lame.

Nontheless, I couldn't imagine growing up as a child without any interest in action figures (circa 1977-1985)
    Last edited by acrovader; Jun 17, '18, 1:34 PM.
    I am more than machine. More than man. More than a fusion of the two.
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

I cannot think of any good friends of mine who didn’t like action figures.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

yeah, I had some friends like that. suffice to say I did not play with them much

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Pretty sure I had some that didn't but I probably didn't hang out with them as much since we had less in common. Long snowy winters led to a lot of indoor action figure adventures.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• kinostadt
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 14, 2004

He wasn't a close friend, but there was a kid in my neighborhood that had absolutely no interest in action figures, but was obsessed with playing with toy cars. He didn't relate to other kids very well. Looking back now, the childhood friends who were most interested in action figures turned out to be the most creative and interesting adults.

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

Most of the kids I knew growing up were more into sports. They always thought I was the weird one for liking stuff like that.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
              Permanent Member
              • Sep 15, 2014

My cousin didn't play with action figures. He had one He-man style Olympic figure and that was it.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

I knew kids at school who seemingly didn't have any toys, just played sports. I remember we had a field day in 3rd or 4th grade, and many of us brought our action figures. One of the sporties scoffed at us even then, and we were like 9 or 10.

All of the friends I played with were into action figures, and had some of their own they'd bring over to play with. We also played sports too, so we were better rounded. ;-)

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

^ Right. I remember in the 6th grade that a lot of the boys on the sports teams were “too old” for toys and their was some peer pressure to comply. I didn’t. I still loved action figures at 12. In fact, I played with them until I was 13 or 14. I just outgrew them on my own. However, by junior high, I wasn’t advertising my love of action figures. I wonder how many of the boys who were on sports teams actually played with toys, including action figures, even though they wouldn’t have admitted it.

- Ian

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

^Sounds pretty similar to me. The weird thing was, just as I was getting out of "playing" with toys and started collecting them, suddenly many of my sport friends were getting into the then-new Starting Lineup figures, which were advertised in the same Kenner catalogs I was getting with my Batman: Dark Knight Collection figures.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                      Museum Paramedic
                      • Aug 31, 2005

^ We seem to have a similar story overall when it comes to action figures, since we are the same age and come from the same region of the U.S...you from Kentucky and me from southern Indiana.

Anyhow, though I got along with them just fine, I never spoke to the guys, on sports teams, about toys. It was just an unspoken barrier, I suppose.

- Ian

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                        Persistent Member
                        • Aug 12, 2004

I only knew one other kid who collected action figures. He had some sort of weird fixation on having everything I had.

His mom spoiled him rotten. Every time I got something new, he'd run home to tell his mom, and five minutes later we'd see them drive off to our neighborhood Kmart to buy the exact same toy.

My two younger brothers had figures too, but they mostly had 'em because my mom would buy them assuming they loved 'em as much as I did. They didn't.

I also loved Kenner SSP and Evel Knievel stunt cycles.

Comment

• Falstaff13
                          Persistent Member
                          • May 28, 2008

As I've thought about it, I had some friends who didn't really play with action figures, as they never had them. If they came over, they would play with mine and never seemed opposed to them, but if I went to their house, they had video games and sports equipment (and I suppose other types of games), but they never had figures among their toys. I definitely had some whose time of being interested in toys waned pretty quickly, and generally these were the guys who got more into sports than I ever was or did. I also never had any video game system when I was growing up, so I was more into creating play with the figures I collected (and I was definitely a collector from the start, in terms of wanting to be a completist).
                          Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                          Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• drquest
                            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                            • Apr 17, 2012

I just had different friends for different things. Some would want to play with action figures, some would want to play with Hotwheels and slot cars, some would want to play video games, some would just want to fly kites and shoot off model rockets and some would want to throw the baseball around. I guess I was pretty accommodating to all of those activities being as I didn't have any brothers or sisters.
                            Danny(Drquest)
                            Captain Action HQ
                            Retro shirts and stuff
                            More retro shirts
                            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                              Museum Paramedic
                              • Aug 31, 2005

I remember numberous kids who i always hid my good action figures from. I was picky with my figures and their condition, especially the paint, and I didn’t want any kids messing them up. Maybe that’s an only child thing.

- Ian

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎