Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

It sucks to be a DC fan nowadays...

Lifelong DC fan here...

Hurts to admit...

I read this quote on some site:

“Marvel took an obscure talking raccoon and tree and made them into icons with the masses; DC took the most widely recognized superheroes and publicly defecated on them”

Damn, that hurts, especially since it’s true.

That quote really sunk in...

sigpic
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Except for Wonder Woman of course...

sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I know how you feel, Hec.

I'm anxious to see if Aquaman and Shazam! can follow WW's lead as standalone films.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

I think the pendulum could start to swing.

You have Matt Reeves rebooting Batman.
        Aquaman is getting buzz (admittedly from its own studio, but hey, Black Manta)
        Wonder Woman '84 looks like it could get very interesting.

There's potential. They know they need to lighten up and make entertaining movies with characters that should be loved. It's really not rocket science.

But then you hear Leto is gonna do a Joker solo, and the doubt starts to creep in again.

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

Oh, and if it's any consolation to you, it's no picnic being a fan of Star Wars lately either.

Edit: I should specify that personally, I am loving the new SW films; it's the SW Fanbase that I am having difficulty with.

(sorry for the thread hijack)
          Last edited by Hedji; Jun 14, '18, 8:18 PM.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
            Often invisible
            • Jul 18, 2002

I think they have a giant conundrum on their hands. Aside from WW, their universe is created from unlikeable versions of their characters and driven by movies that did well at the box office yet were not well received by the fans.
            So do they keep what they have built so far with the same actors, which isn't terribly good, or scrap everything and start over?
            I really think they need to stop and regroup. They need their own Kevin Feige. Someone who knows their characters and can oversee their representations on screen. I also think they need to start recasting. I don't know if anyone else feels like I do, but I'm not going to another Superman movie with Henry Cavill. I don't blame him, but he's the face of 3 crap movies.
            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

I know how you feel Hector...as you can tell by my Avatar, BATMAN is my favorite comic character. I'm not optimistic about Matt Reeves new Batman movie. I'm hearing he wants to push Ben Affleck out...and his choice to replace him was Jake(Fish Face)Gyllenhaal? Fortunately Fish Face doesn't seem to want the job...but it sure makes me more than uncomfortable that Reeves would choose him in the first place.
              sigpic

Comment

• Mary Canary
                Career Member
                • Jun 21, 2017

I like Henry Cavill as Superman. He was the best part of JL in my opinion. Maybe with a different director they can give us a more upbeat MoS2. Not really a fan of Affleck as Batman. Or that guy playing Flash. I think Aquaman, Shazam, and WW2 will all be solid. I think they just tried doing too much with these big master plans for a decade's worth of interconnected movies. They need to just do some good standalone movies. Dont plan sequels or crossovers, just tell one good story, and if people dig it go from there...

Comment

• jwyblejr
                  galactic yo-yo
                  • Apr 6, 2006

Let's just hope AT&T doesn't screw things up.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                    Often invisible
                    • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Mary Canary
                    I like Henry Cavill as Superman.
                    I WANT to like him. He looks the part, seems like a good guy and all, but the Superman he plays is an *name I can't call him due to censors*
                    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

If I had my way, they'd throw in the towl, and do a total farce of the SuperFriends. Zan, Jana, Gleek, everybody. Splash as much color and humor and kinetic pacing on screen as possible, and audiences will flock. Guaranteed. It's what people want as a diversion from these dark times.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                        Permanent Member
                        • May 15, 2009

I liked Cavill for a bit in BvS until that movie went off the rails.

He was pretty fun in JL as the guy who could do anything.

They need to do a more fun, more grounded Superman movie, but I'm not sure how much you can walk back the dark brooding Superman who's already died and had to kill people. And I don't think we need another Superman origin story by any means, but there's a lot of good stuff you can do with Clark Kent as a man on the farm or as a reporter, but I don't know how you can present those elements given where things are.

I'm guessing in 5 years tops, they'll reboot the whole DC movie universe, if not sooner.

DC should work on some of their more fun properties. Make a Blue Beetle movie. Make a Booster Gold movie. Plasticman. And then if you want to get some depth, revisit Swamp Thing.

They have other interesting heroes, they just don't use them.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                          Career Member
                          • Jun 8, 2015

Gee the original CRISIS was what started it all.

LEGENDS was crap.

ZERO HOUR did more harm then good,

I forget what horse**** happened like the FINAL NIGHT and what ever else until IDENTITY CRISIS/INFINITE CRISIS.

Blackest Night, LAME

NU 52; the WORST!!

FINAL CRISIS- GARBAGE!!!

When you do stupid **** like Supeman was NEVER SUPER BOY and then having him in space with an OXYGEN TANK? (Byrne era) that was just PITIFUL!!

so was Hal Jordan turning into PARALLAX and then dying and coming back as the SPECTRE! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! And then back as GL! ***!?!?!?!

I blame it on editors like MIKE CARLIN and EDDIE BERGANZA, who both suck *** in my opinion!!

and when you have an ICON like JOE STATON working on SCOOBY DOO, it's like what's going on here?????

and then they did that CONVERGENCE thing and supposedly it says that the Original CRISIS never happened. SOOOOO why isn't everyone on their own respective EARTH then? (1,2, S, 3, X, )

Instead we have to deal with FLASHPOINTLESS which was the most crappiest thing they could have done.

DC= DEAD COMICS.

Nuff said.

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

As Epictetus said: "It's not what happens to you, but how you react to it that matters."

I think it's a golden age to be a DC fan, there is a DC comics-based television series on each night of the week and they're all decent. Some I don't watch but I have more DC entertainment than i can handle.

The movies could and should be better but there is plenty of bright spots and the future looks bright, Shazam and Aquaman look good. Also, I really like Shazam and Aquaman.

Is Marvel doing a better job? Probably but this is the era we dreamed of as kids.

Also, I'm of the mind that Caville is this generation's Chris Reeve if he had the right director. Zach Snyder, did not get Superman....at all.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hedji
                              Citizen of Gotham
                              • Nov 17, 2012

It is so difficult for me to imagine Cavill without Snyder's DNA. I don't know if they can ever wash the Snyder out of what they've done. It's like gum (or worse) stuck to your shoe, that you just can't wipe off.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎