• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toysrus
    Persistent Member
    • Aug 23, 2007

Question on public domain, copyright of toys for a book

Good morning everyone.
    My 15 year old son was raised around vintage toys passed down from my husband. From army men, mego, gi joe. Really all kinds of toys. Mostly toys from the 60’s to early 90’s.
    My son wants to work on a book based on his upbringing on vintage toys including many photos of these toys. Many photos he wanted to use he found on google images & yahoo. And so on.
    Is it legal to profit on a book on toys using photos found on the internet? If my son needs permission to use those pics then it might be impossible to release such a book. Many toys are knock offs & from vending machines or unknown long gone companies.
    Any info helps. Even if you connect me with an author of a book on action figures.

Thank you very much 😊
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

I would not recommend doing that without some sort of consent from the person who took the photo.

Also, you don't want to publish anything using 72dpi web photos, it'll look pixelated.

From my own experiences though, if you start to build something, most people want to help and will gleefully contribute just for a credit. I received an outpouring of support and made lasting friendships while writing my book, networking with other collectors will result in a superior publication.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• toysrus
      Persistent Member
      • Aug 23, 2007

Thank you for the reply. What if he uses photos he took of his own toy collection? Our photos means our property. But using a photo of let’s say a gi joe or Godzilla toy. Do we need permission from these toy companies?
      Thanks again 😊

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by toysrus
        Thank you for the reply. What if he uses photos he took of his own toy collection? Our photos means our property. But using a photo of let’s say a gi joe or Godzilla toy. Do we need permission from these toy companies?
        Thanks again ��
        Normally i'd say you don't need permission but some companies like Toho (Godzilla) have a tendency to sue people for even THINKING of the name Godzilla without their permission.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by toysrus
          Thanks again ��
          Your photo is your property, absolutely but don't be afraid to ask for help. A lot of toy books suffered (especially in the pre-internet days) because the author didn't network with other collectors. I recieved dozens of photos that made my book better.

As for the rights on properties, that's considered fair use but:

1) Generally don't include more than 20% of one brand, if your book is all GI Joe or Godzilla, you can run into snags. Toho or Hasbro couldn't stop you but it's in your best interest to make sure that you don't confuse yourself as a license product. Look at any "unofficial guide to" and you'll see what i mean.

2) I strongly advise that you add some legal verbage in your publication with regards to not being afiliated or having any ownership of the brands shown. You can find good examples of this in most collectible books.

Another route is to credit trademark below each photo.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• toysrus
            Persistent Member
            • Aug 23, 2007

Thank you. I will ask my son later which toys he had in mind.
            Palitoy, What’s the name of your book? Books?

Thank you 😊

QUOTE=palitoy;1364682]Your photo is your property, absolutely but don't be afraid to ask for help. A lot of toy books suffered (especially in the pre-internet days) because the author didn't network with other collectors. I recieved dozens of photos that made my book better.

As for the rights on properties, that's considered fair use but:

1) Generally don't include more than 20% of one brand, if your book is all GI Joe or Godzilla, you can run into snags. Toho or Hasbro couldn't stop you but it's in your best interest to make sure that you don't confuse yourself as a license product. Look at any "unofficial guide to" and you'll see what i mean.

2) I strongly advise that you add some legal verbage in your publication with regards to not being afiliated or having any ownership of the brands shown. You can find good examples of this in most collectible books.

Another route is to credit trademark below each photo.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎