• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

My latest painting...in the trash.

*sigh*

Well, my experiment with paper ended badly. I made a terrible mistake. My "highlight" ended up being darker than the area surrounding it because I covered the whiteness of the paper.

When you're going transparent you have to let the paper be your "bright" source. And once it was down, no amount of painting over it could fix it.

So I chalk it up to a learning experience and start over. I did get some heavier paper also.

I shall persevere!
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

I feel ya. It happens. Although it's never fun to do a hard reboot. What doesn't kill ya makes you stronger, right? Thing is, every one of us here would've considered it a masterpiece, as you're your own worst critic.

Keep at it. I like your tenacity and perseverance.

Comment

• comicmike
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 22, 2009

Oh, Man, that sucks. Really.
      I feel for you.
      Been there, over & over & over.
      Don't give up. Never give up. Take the breather. Binge on the Oreos. Take time to walk through a deluxe art store, browse a gallery, or look up at the sky.

What's your medium? Watercolor, or thinned acrylics? I studied Fine Arts for many years; I especially love working with color and multimedia; and I kinda' like the challenge of solving art problems.

If it helps, sometimes the right white paint can actually work out as the right coverage, I even with an initial coat of white grey, then with the white. Hard to say.
      I had a Prof who showed me how to add a small touch of blue in the final white paint to make the highlight-on-the-highlight stand out. It can work well with acrylics and oils. Consider to keep trying the effects on initial palettes.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by comicmike
        Oh, Man, that sucks. Really.
        I feel for you.
        Been there, over & over & over.
        Don't give up. Never give up. Take the breather. Binge on the Oreos. Take time to walk through a deluxe art store, browse a gallery, or look up at the sky.

What's your medium? Watercolor, or thinned acrylics? I studied Fine Arts for many years; I especially love working with color and multimedia; and I kinda' like the challenge of solving art problems.

If it helps, sometimes the right white paint can actually work out as the right coverage, I even with an initial coat of white grey, then with the white. Hard to say.
        I had a Prof who showed me how to add a small touch of blue in the final white paint to make the highlight-on-the-highlight stand out. It can work well with acrylics and oils. Consider to keep trying the effects on initial palettes.
        Thanks...LOL Yeah, it sucks but it's not the first time for sure. Mistakes are how we learn.

Thinned acrylics...and yeah, I knew about adding a touch of blue aka the "snow" effect but it didn't help in this case. I switched up to a much heavier paper and am going to go more opaque this time.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎