Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spray Painting with your acrylic paints.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mego Magyar
    Permanent Member
    • Jan 17, 2011

Spray Painting with your acrylic paints.

Not sure if this is common knowledge but it's possible to use the acrylic bottle paints in a airbrush. So if you have a color you like and want to paint a larger area or just want to eliminate brush marks this is an option.

First I'll state that my airbrush is a Testor one where you put the paint in a small jar that screw onto the airbrush.

Second is that I've only done this with Ceramcoat paints.

Fill the jar with a mix of 50/50 paint and Windex. Shake well. The first few time I did this and used it right away it plugged up the airbrush but then I let the mix sit overnight, giving it a shake now and then and the next day it worked without plugging up.

The mix is thin and you will probably need a couple of coats but you get a nice smooth look.
  • Gramercyplace
    Museum Super Collector
    • Jan 23, 2012

Wow! This is great information!!!!

Comment

• comicmike
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 22, 2009

That's really helpful info: Thanks! I use the Testor brush as well (from Michaels Crafts; keeping on their email system, we can always get 40-55% off a single item). Utilizing the Windex sounds intriguing: Very Cool!!

Personally, I feel challenged with most acrylics because, as they dry like plastic, they're a bit rough to the touch on the Mego Costume material. I'm curious if the Windex potentially softens some of the acrylic paint properties: What a Great idea to thin out the paint.

Recently, for the Mego nylon fabrics, I discovered "Fabric Creations - Soft Fabric Ink" at Michaels (again, I get it discounted) , and "Deco Art - So Soft" fabric paint from my local art store (it's about $1.50/bottle). Those products are *amazing*! I just used the Fabric Creations "25993 Royal Blue" to restore the lavendar-fade on a Mego Catwoman (oh wow...she now has a completely soft-to-the-touch Royal Blue costume that is fully restored). I also used So Soft "Cadmium Yellow" to freshen up my yellow Talos costume. For him, I first airbrushed White So Soft as a base, then I dusted it off with the yellow.

I am so pleased to read your post. When some of the Mego material fades, it's personally important to me to restore the blotches back to one flat colour. My next plan is to work out some green shades and swatches on a Green Arrow that has some fades around the belt area; and my Neptunian wings.
      Last edited by comicmike; Jun 9, '18, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• darkbros
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 3, 2012

+1 "Fabric Creations - Soft Fabric Ink. This is great stuff, and makes touching up faded Super Joe Sleeves a breeze.
        For Large areas I use a Paint Dauber ( Sponge Brush). No brush strokes left, and it applies paint to wide area smoothly.
        Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
        https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------
        "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

• fallensaviour
          Talkative Member
          • Aug 28, 2006

I use rubbing alcohol to thin my acrylic paints.
          To make a wash I’ll use either artist ink and pledge multisurface finish or rinse aid and acrylic paint.
          “When you say “It’s hard”, it actually means “I’m not strong enough to fight for it”. Stop saying its hard. Think positive!”

Comment

• comicmike
            Persistent Member
            • Sep 22, 2009

Very cool: Rubbing alcohol or Windex...really helpful ideas. I've always used Floralife Colortool paint because of the paint versatility, but new laws last year reduced the colour choices in Canada. Even that Floralife *White paint could base-cover practically *Anything*...ugh. I miss not being able to get that stuff now. I'm still adapting to the airbrush with thinned acrylics on the Mego parts and the costume fabric.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

This Fabric Creations Soft Fabric Ink intrigues me. What is the finish/durability like? I'd love to see pix of your retouched Catwoman.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• comicmike
                Persistent Member
                • Sep 22, 2009

I'll aim to post my Catwoman tonight. The colour was superb. The paint medium is *very soft* to the touch on the fabric: It's perfect, IMO. The directions say to not wash first with fabric softener, iron it after it dries, and wash again. I do not plan to wash mine again...for quite a while. I have been restoring Mego fabric runs and colour-loss for years, but I have been getting my best results within the past year: Finding those specific paints have been well-worth the trek. I work a lot with hand- & machine-sewing, different fabric glues, and iron-on vinyl to restore fades and runs. I mask off details with either painter's tape or Duct Tape (I slice thin lines on glass for finer work:It's how I managed to control the Catwoman's thread colour to stay lavender while I coated the rest of the blue costume).
                Last edited by comicmike; Jun 17, '18, 1:03 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

This is fascinating.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• comicmike
                    Persistent Member
                    • Sep 22, 2009

The first one on the left has that perfect "Fabric Creations - Soft Fabric Ink" in "25993 Royal Blue". The colour actually matched the same real blue in the patches where the blue had still not faded, and I painted over the faded lavender (& around the stitching). I think it truly Pops! The second one is untouched, showing the lavender fade on the inside; the third one only has some minor fading & is untouched; the fourth one is a Silk Screened one I did completely from scratch from airbrushing directly on the white material with standard royal blue acrylic, and other colours. That costume is half inside out because the shoulders need new seams,& I'll be lengthing the sleeves with the vinyl iron on material. (Incidentally, have been working on a whole process of fixing a damaged large star Wonder Woman, with a giant run down the front, and the whole centre is misaligned; I have noticed many misaligned patterns through my years of perusing/ collecting many original silk screened Wonder Woman and silk screened Catwoman costumes). BTW, the repro gloves are all different swatches of blue (the second gloves are actually glued polyester florist ribbon in a blue-purple tone).
                    Last edited by comicmike; Jun 17, '18, 9:54 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

That is sharp, thanks for the comparison. The masking must be challenging.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎