Thread: What do you think is a *fair* best offer?

What do you think is a *fair* best offer?

I just had a laughable experience on Ebay.

Seller was asking $24.99 or best offer for a used book, plus $6.70 shipping.

I offered $20...which is 80% of their asking price, plus shipping and IMO more than fair. I never lowball people.

They responded with a counteroffer of $24.25. Seriously? 74 cents off? Why even bother?

Images
    IMO as a buyer, I think 20-to-25 percent-off are acceptable offers.

That said, sometimes my offers are simply to defray shipping charges.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Jun 9, '18 at 4:47 PM.
    WANTED: POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top portion; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors; vintage Galahad box; minty Wolfman tights; Black Knight sword; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; POTA knife-sword; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes.

That's just either greed or they (in some weird way) think your offer was insulting, who knows what goes thru people's minds. I would counteroffer at no more than $22.00 depending on how bad you want the item, if they yet counter offer that, then counteroffer $1.00 and look for the item in question from another seller.

20% off is the most I would try for, that seems fair if you have a best offer option. But if you are selling something for $24.99 with a best offer option and the least you are willing to take is $24.25, why even bother?

I tried that option a couple times and had the same response. Some people like to haggle I guess.

For kicks offer $20.25 and see what they say.
    Better late than never.....

Images
    Blog Entries
    at least they countered. I get them all the time that just decline without even trying to counter. There is a joe that has been on there forever that I have tried to get for a reasonable price and the seller just thinks they have gold
    Planet Earth is Blue

Images
    I got blessed out for something similar on some rather expensive Oakley sunglasses. I offered about 20% off and the guy just blew up. I remember thinking, “all you had to say was no thank you”

Blog Entries
    I use 20 percent as a rule of thumb as well. It blows my mind how many people think 90 is A-ok.

Images
    I hate it when sellers do that. I have gotten a lot of amazing deals through best offer though, so that more than makes up for the jerkos.