X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Liu Bei
    Banned
    • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by jacoblb
    Unless I'm mistaken the founder of the MM is also the talented artist who created the Dida Displays and artwork and obviously doesn't wish to distribute it for free otherwise there would be a download link for anybody to use. And I suppose the idea of monetizing a paid-for digital download has already been addressed with (the answer being) not having one available.

Even if someone scanned a copy of theirs and posted it in the reply, the image would not be shared for long because a MM moderator would immediately delete it and, I imagine if it ever got to that point, the whole thread would (rightly) disappear too.
    I'm not very clear on the history of Dida Displays. Did he/they pay for the rights to produce the Enterprise Bridge and to reproduce the artwork from Mego's Wayne Manor playset? I guess my working assumption was that this was all fan-produced material, not copyrighted material. If I am/was wrong, I apologize for asking for scans.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

It is all original artwork, not taken from any source and regardless of it's license or lack therefor of, it doesn't entitle anyone to copy it without consent.

The art was solely produced to sell the physical factory made sets that Robyn invested her money in, it belongs to her and only she can say whether or not they get distributed, especially on the website she created for pete's sake.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Liu Bei
        Banned
        • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by palitoy
        It is all original artwork, not taken from any source and regardless of it's license or lack therefor of, it doesn't entitle anyone to copy it without consent.

The art was solely produced to sell the physical factory made sets that Robyn invested her money in, it belongs to her and only she can say whether or not they get distributed, especially on the website she created for pete's sake.
        I understand your argument, but think it would be better made minus the emotion.

The arguments from both sides about copyrights and licenses was and continues to be a non-sequitur, unless of course Dida Displays paid for the rights to create artwork based on the Bridge as seen in Star Trek, or the Batcave/Wayne Manor, etc... If not, there is an argument to be made about copyright violations, but not one I think you'd like.

If people here aren't comfortable with the original poster asking for scans, it's understandable. I think a non-response would suffice. For this to descend into an argument about licenses, theft, and violations of intellectual property rights is useless. No one accused Dida Displays of this behavior, nor should members of this forum looking to use those images to make their own displays be accused of it either.

Yes, people who might be looking to use those images to make money are scum. But I don't think that should be the immediate assumption here. That's my two cents, and I will speak no more on the subject (assuming the thread isn't deleted outright).

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

The reason I appear curt is this weird notion that my friends artwork is somehow shared ownership, it's not. It's hers to do with what she wants.

I'll work on my tact but folks should check their entitlement as well.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• toothaction
            Career Member
            • Jul 15, 2017

So... the whole Dida thing happened during my years in the wilderness, as in that long period where I loved the toys of my youth but wasn't hanging out here or trying to rebuild my former army of cloth-clad plastic peoples. Would someone mind pointing me to proper coverage of all the sets that the nice lady mentioned put together? I'm only finding stray images so far. My Google Powers are puny, obviously.

Thanks!
            Last edited by toothaction; Aug 19, '18, 1:17 PM.
            >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

The Dida displays fall into a grey category. The pieces created off of existing designs can't be claimed as copyrighted work by Dida. i.e The LOD backdrops would go: WB-DC-HB-Takamoto-Toth in ownership. The original works, like the monster lab, are fully Dida-owned.

So the Trek playset, based on TOS set designs, would require royalties, while original screen boards for the monitor would not. I think it's smart they're not offered. It would be way too easy for a Chinese graphics company to pump and dump on eBay and not have to answer for anything.

Comment

• toothaction
                Career Member
                • Jul 15, 2017

Originally posted by toothaction
                So... the whole Dida thing happened during my years in the wilderness, as in that long period where I loved the toys of my youth but wasn't hanging out here or trying to rebuild my former army of cloth-clad plastic peoples. Would someone mind pointing me to proper coverage of all the sets that the nice lady mentioned put together? I'm only finding stray images so far. My Google Powers are puny, obviously.

Thanks!
                ^ Repeating myself so that my requestion won't be missed with the page flip... I hope that's not bad form.
                Last edited by toothaction; Aug 19, '18, 1:17 PM.
                >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

• Iron Mego
                  Wake Up Heavy
                  • Jan 31, 2010

Here's a thread that might help a little Toothy:

Well, it's a fitting coincidence on this day when FTC announced it's doing a Mego Batcave that I'm announcing the end of Dida Displays. I've pretty much reached the last of my stock for basic Dida boxes. It's too expensive to re-order any more and I've run out of energy to make them like I used to. I'd like to thank everyone
                  Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• toothaction
                    Career Member
                    • Jul 15, 2017

^ Much appreciated! Now I just need to find an annotated DB, heh.

Comment

• generic
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jun 25, 2009

Originally posted by hedrap
                      ...The pieces created off of existing designs can't be claimed as copyrighted work by Dida...
                      I didn't realize that some of the Dida displays were, themselves, created using copyrighted material belonging to other entities.
                      Well, I stand behind my earlier statements on creators ownership rights...those statements just may not apply as well to some of the Dida displays in particular.

By the way, I followed Iron Mego's link to check out the different displays and wasn't able to see the "Dida's greatest hits" images in the first post. Is that my browser or are the images from the first post gone?
                      Nostalgia just ain’t what it used to be.

Comment

• Iron Mego
                        Wake Up Heavy
                        • Jan 31, 2010

I couldn't see them either.
                        Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• hedrap
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by generic
                          I didn't realize that some of the Dida displays were, themselves, created using copyrighted material belonging to other entities.
                          Well, I stand behind my earlier statements on creators ownership rights...those statements just may not apply as well to some of the Dida displays in particular.
                          I don't disagree with what you and Pali said. I just wanted to point out doing screen-accurate replicas of something quite distinctive requires royalties.

I'm going by memory, but if Dida TOS artwork is a 1:1 attempt at the TOS bridge, then yeah. If it's an extension of the Mego playset design, then it would be fair game as that's a stylized interpretation of the TOS bridge. IOW, The Mego playset expands on something only recognizable to a specified audience whereas the TOS bridge is recognizable to the general population.

Since Mego didn't protect it's ip, it can't claim the design. You see that with Super7 and their Kenner homages. If Hasbro had TM'd the Star Wars card/box design, Super7's work couldn't happen. But they didn't think it was remarkable enough to do that.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                            Permanent Member
                            • Jun 29, 2018

All legal arguments aside, the people who run the workhouse here think it would be theft if it isn't the creator of the artwork and that pretty much settles it. I think you are going to have to create your own. I suggest watching the cartoons of Trek and doing screencaps ...two or three screencaps of each area should get you a scene you can stitch together and clean up and make your own backdrops. This is the process I'm doing now and it is work but doable work.

Comment

• MegoRobyn
                              Administrator
                              • Jun 28, 2016

I haven't made them available because I'm lazy and a little bit mean. What can I say?

But let's try this. I am setting up a digital downloads store for old Dida Displays backdrops. Let me know what you think.

I put up the Trek and Stately sets for sale and one 3 panel cityscape backdrop which is free for a limited time if you want to test drive them.

Comment

• pmwasson
                                Maker
                                • Sep 12, 2007

Originally posted by MegoRobyn
                                I haven't made them available because I'm lazy and a little bit mean. What can I say?

But let's try this. I am setting up a digital downloads store for old Dida Displays backdrops. Let me know what you think.

I put up the Trek and Stately sets for sale and one 3 panel cityscape backdrop which is free for a limited time if you want to test drive them.
                                Wow, that is very cool! Thanks Robyn!
                                sigpic LaserMego

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎