X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shornk
    • Aug 16, 2006

Star Trek Mego and Dida Scans

Hi,

Had a long hiatus taking care of kids and parent - in laws. Could someone point me to a set of scans for mego and dida star trek bridge display scans? I want to print some backgrounds for my instagram photos.

Thanks in advance.
    shornk shornk shornk
  • Liu Bei
    Banned
    • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by shornk
    Hi,

Had a long hiatus taking care of kids and parent - in laws. Could someone point me to a set of scans for mego and dida star trek bridge display scans? I want to print some backgrounds for my instagram photos.

Thanks in advance.
    Let me know if you get a response. I've been looking for Dida scans for ages without luck.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
      Career Member
      • Nov 22, 2011

Originally posted by Liu Bei
      Let me know if you get a response. I've been looking for Dida scans for ages without luck.
      bummer, Crickets. I was hoping someone would put up a link for these
      "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• Mego Magyar
        Permanent Member
        • Jan 17, 2011

I got Mego bridge recently that was in ad shape and thought about cutting it up to scan the walls but it cleaned up/fixed up so nice that I hate the thought of destroying it now

Comment

• Mego Magyar
          Permanent Member
          • Jan 17, 2011

As for the Dida artwork, it's not really up to someone that might have some of it to share without permission.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
            Career Member
            • Nov 22, 2011

Originally posted by Mego Magyar
            As for the Dida artwork, it's not really up to someone that might have some of it to share without permission.
            Good point. I didn't think about that. I'm bad. sorry

Comment

• LordMudd
              Persistent Member
              • Aug 22, 2011

Originally posted by Mego Magyar
              You are referring to intellectual property rights that protect a persons creations, however, once that property item is sold, it is the right of the purchaser to do as they please with it.

CCC.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by LordMudd
                You are referring to intellectual property rights that protect a persons creations, however, once that property item is sold, it is the right of the purchaser to do as they please with it.

CCC.
                That is incorrect, purchasing a copy of artwork does not grant you the rights to reproduce and distribute it.

If the Dida artwork becomes available for free download, that is 100% the choice of the creator.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• generic
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jun 25, 2009

CCC.
                  I don't mean to start anything here, but just for the sake of clearing up misinformation, your statement is not correct...unless you mean that if someone sells the ownership of the copyrights or trademark, the new owner can do what they want with it. If someone just purchases one of an item, they do not have any rights to copy and distribute it. A similar comparison would be that if you buy an album or DVD, you can not legally burn all the copies you want or upload all the songs online to distribute yourself. Despite the fact that people do this constantly to the financial detriment of the creators, it is not legal or moral.
                  Last edited by generic; Aug 17, '18, 12:39 PM.
                  Nostalgia just ain’t what it used to be.

Comment

• LordMudd
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 22, 2011

Originally posted by generic
                    I don't mean to start anything here, but just for the sake of clearing up misinformation, your statement is not correct...unless you mean that if someone sells the ownership of the copyrights or trademark, the new owner can do what they want with it. If someone just purchases one of an item, they do not have any rights to copy and distribute it. A similar comparison would be that if you buy an album or DVD, you can not legally burn all the copies you want or upload all the songs online to distribute yourself. Despite the fact that people do this constantly to the financial detriment of the creators, it is not legal or moral.
                    If a person creates a piece of artwork, which is what a Dida scan is, and then sells it to another person, that person may then do whatever he wants with it, even though upon it's creation it was an intellectual property. That person can scan it, copy it, hang it, fold it, cut it, resell it, shred it, burn it, or leave it out on the side of the road until mother nature reclaims it, as happened with the hand-painted billboard my mother create for Rosewood Funeral Home many years ago. She was a professional artist, but once she sold that work to them, she no longer had any say in what was done with it. If someone on here has a Dida Trek scan they are willing to share with the author of this thread, they are free to do so because they paid for it and they own it. Furthermore, if they do not profit from the act, it is virtually impossible to successfully prosecute them for it.

CCC.

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

If a person creates a piece of artwork, which is what a Dida scan is, and then sells it to another person, that person may then do whatever he wants with it, even though upon it's creation it was an intellectual property. That person can scan it, copy it, hang it, fold it, cut it, resell it, shred it, burn it, or leave it out on the side of the road until mother nature reclaims it, as happened with the hand-painted billboard my mother create for Rosewood Funeral Home many years ago. She was a professional artist, but once she sold that work to them, she no longer had any say in what was done with it. If someone on here has a Dida Trek scan they are willing to share with the author of this thread, they are free to do so because they paid for it and they own it. Furthermore, if they do not profit from the act, it is virtually impossible to successfully prosecute them for it.
                      You have a very poor understanding of work for hire vs buying a copy of someone's work.

The purchaser is free to do what they want with the physical item, except copy it and distribute it for free, that isn't included in the price.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• generic
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jun 25, 2009

You are correct that it's virtually impossible to successfully prosecute them for it (sale or no sale). But when it comes to distributing the file to others who have not paid for it, that would only apply if the purchaser bought all of the rights to the art, not if they were one of many people to purchase a copy of the art for personal use. It's like if you buy a copy of Photoshop, you don't have the right to copy it and give it to a friend. If you buy a print from an artist, you don't have the right to scan it and print more copies for distribution.

I'm really not trying to bring any negativity here and I'm trying to be careful with my phrasing so that I don't sound like a jerk. I would just like to correct a common misconception (which has been hitting me very directly in the wallet over the last decade+). Ever since file sharing on songs via the internet, these laws have become much more relevant and much more misunderstood.
                        Nostalgia just ain’t what it used to be.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
                          Career Member
                          • Nov 22, 2011

Originally posted by generic
                          Just because someone "can" do whatever they want to with it. Doesn't make it right. I have many friends that are artist. They spend many hours sculpting, painting, drawing and researching projects to create a very nice "whatever" Lets use a Mego figure head as an example.
                          Mego Member 1 spends a lot of time and talent to sculpt a custom Janice Rand head that is spot on. He paints it and sells it on eBay for 25.00. Then the purchaser takes that same head and recasts it and sells it to make a profit for himself. It happens all the time but, it's wrong. "Do unto others" I would not be happy if someone were out there making copies of my Mego sculpts to profit.
                          Just my 2 cents y'all

Comment

• jacoblb
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 7, 2009

Unless I'm mistaken the founder of the MM is also the talented artist who created the Dida Displays and artwork and obviously doesn't wish to distribute it for free otherwise there would be a download link for anybody to use. And I suppose the idea of monetizing a paid-for digital download has already been addressed with (the answer being) not having one available.

Even if someone scanned a copy of theirs and posted it in the reply, the image would not be shared for long because a MM moderator would immediately delete it and, I imagine if it ever got to that point, the whole thread would (rightly) disappear too.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                              Permanent Member
                              • May 15, 2009

I never understood why Dida didn't offer for pay downloads of their art for some of the sets. It was great stuff, but I rarely had the room or cash for the actual Dida Displays, but would have bought the heck out of some of the artwork. I always figured they didn't do that because it would cause people to not buy the Dida Displays themselves, but once Dida stopped making displays, I thought it would have been a good way to make some extra dough. But I guess Scott felt different. Can't begrudge him that, but some of the artwork on those sets was stellar.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎