• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noelani72
    27inaleon
    • Jun 25, 2002

1 week post-MM thoughts

well, what a week.
    Been sick since closing down the suite last Saturday night. Sore throat...then sinus...then a dry cough that has been ridiculous. I've never had allergy problems in my whole life, but when I finally went to the doctor, that's what took me down she says. My paranoid logical side wonders if it wasn't that pool-side room ac unit that I breathed in all weekend...but The Boy is fine. I am still not 100%, but codeine cough syrup is amazing stuff lol...even had to show a drivers license with prescription to get it.

Ohio was a perfect choice. about a 5 1/2 hr drive - straight shot from our house practically.

As commonly stated every year, by everyone - there was not enough time. It wasn't long enough. We rolled in thursday and it seems everything is a blur until getting home Sunday.

Trying to get in time with everyone was impossible..I simply don't know where time went. For example, Farley made it back to the meet after 3yrs...and I never had a chance to get to his table to just sit and shoot the breeze. I don't feel like I had a single minute of downtime this year, which is quite possibly a first. Seems at least on Friday after setup there's a lull - plenty of time to spend with everyone, but not this year. And that saddens me. Come Saturday, I barely got away from my table having conversations with so many people...and trying not to miss the panel discussions, Marty, and more. Thanks to The Boy - he was able to make sure I got a piece destined to come home with me - one of John's awesome Mummy & tomb combos...love it.

Something that has been born out of leaving Wheeling - the ability to "go" somewhere and "do" something. While its fun to hit a outside toy store or spend over two hours waiting for a seat to get a pizza somewhere, it has cut into our MM time...it's divided us. That saddens me a bit. At Wheeling, we all ate at the same place on Friday night cuz it was pitch-in-$5-pizza-night. Saturday night was group dinner night.

Saturday was sooooo crazy, there were people who came and setup tables that I didn't even get a chance to walk by and see or talk to - complete blur.

It's a bipolar experience - I thoroughly enjoyed every single minute, but didn't get to do every single thing I wanted. I swear, come the end of Saturday afternoon, it totally felt like Friday to me...I was a little in shock I think...felt like I missed a whole day somehow and it was over. For a first time ever (cuz I am an old fart) I closed down the suite on Saturday night...didn't want the weekend to end. As I typically have done these past few MM's, I bring my boxes of custom figures that I've started but not finished. I was finally able to sit down, concentrate and build my 12" Human Torch that Austin hooked me up with. Kind of funny story too - re-stringing the 12" Mego body I brought was left to my buddy Chuck. I'd tried re-stringing it once before - did not work, tossed it in the box because I simply wasn't feeling the creative juices. Chuck knocked it out for me and it was great having folks stay behind watching me work. Flattering to hear one of our Hall-of-Famers comment on my techniques....this place as taught me those techniques and as Austin always says, pay-it-forward.

There's been chatter on Facebook posts about paying more table fees to have the ballroom another day such as Thursday or Sunday...I know we'd be in for either choice.

It'd be nice to figure out a way to bring back the dinner traditions so we all can be together...but due to how we've grown, it is probably an unrealistic expectation and I just need to cope.

It's amazing to see we've filled a room the size of that ballroom...and it was at capacity its first year. Ummm....wow.

It's hard to explain this event to coworkers...they just don't seem to get it. It's a family reunion at its best.

When I come home with something, it's personal. Money at this type of event pretty much gets passed around from table to table lol. When I buy a custom, it's a part of that person that will forever be in a permanent collection...a reminder...a story to be retold.

I was able to unpack my swag finally. That Hulk box is going to display my used childhood figure. Waited a long time for this.

HipstamaticPhoto-549694851.008451.jpg

HipstamaticPhoto-549853338.351615.jpg

HipstamaticPhoto-549854161.841214.jpg
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

Wow, I’m digging that Human Torch. Wish there were more 12” Mego customs kicking around.
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

It's great to see the complete Torch! I enjoyed watching you guys work on it. I, too wanted to chat more and connect names and faces with avatars.

I feel a bit as you do and am missing last weekend already. I was finally washing out my gloves this morning and I got very nostalgic lol.

But it was my first full meet and I didn't really grasp the schedule--heck, I didn't realize the suite was a separate room until Saturday. Now that I know more, I'll be able to participate more fully next year.

The ballroom was impressive--Mego still rules!
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

This definitely felt like an evolution from Wheeling, which I liked as Toy-Train made it feel like a time travel. But, yeah, the Meet had a real toy show feel to it.

For a first shot into CBus, I thought it went great. I guess if Friday nights activities were moved to Thursday night, it would measure the pace. It may actually make driving for some people easier as the weekday traffic isn't nearly as heavy.

Comment

• megowgsh
          Customego HoF Curator
          • Nov 19, 2003

Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by noelani72
            well, what a week.
            Been sick since closing down the suite last Saturday night. Sore throat...then sinus...then a dry cough that has been ridiculous. I've never had allergy problems in my whole life, but when I finally went to the doctor, that's what took me down she says. My paranoid logical side wonders if it wasn't that pool-side room ac unit that I breathed in all weekend...but The Boy is fine. I am still not 100%, but codeine cough syrup is amazing stuff lol...even had to show a drivers license with prescription to get it.

Ohio was a perfect choice. about a 5 1/2 hr drive - straight shot from our house practically.

As commonly stated every year, by everyone - there was not enough time. It wasn't long enough. We rolled in thursday and it seems everything is a blur until getting home Sunday.

Trying to get in time with everyone was impossible..I simply don't know where time went. For example, Farley made it back to the meet after 3yrs...and I never had a chance to get to his table to just sit and shoot the breeze. I don't feel like I had a single minute of downtime this year, which is quite possibly a first. Seems at least on Friday after setup there's a lull - plenty of time to spend with everyone, but not this year. And that saddens me. Come Saturday, I barely got away from my table having conversations with so many people...and trying not to miss the panel discussions, Marty, and more. Thanks to The Boy - he was able to make sure I got a piece destined to come home with me - one of John's awesome Mummy & tomb combos...love it.

Something that has been born out of leaving Wheeling - the ability to "go" somewhere and "do" something. While its fun to hit a outside toy store or spend over two hours waiting for a seat to get a pizza somewhere, it has cut into our MM time...it's divided us. That saddens me a bit. At Wheeling, we all ate at the same place on Friday night cuz it was pitch-in-$5-pizza-night. Saturday night was group dinner night.

Saturday was sooooo crazy, there were people who came and setup tables that I didn't even get a chance to walk by and see or talk to - complete blur.

It's a bipolar experience - I thoroughly enjoyed every single minute, but didn't get to do every single thing I wanted. I swear, come the end of Saturday afternoon, it totally felt like Friday to me...I was a little in shock I think...felt like I missed a whole day somehow and it was over. For a first time ever (cuz I am an old fart) I closed down the suite on Saturday night...didn't want the weekend to end. As I typically have done these past few MM's, I bring my boxes of custom figures that I've started but not finished. I was finally able to sit down, concentrate and build my 12" Human Torch that Austin hooked me up with. Kind of funny story too - re-stringing the 12" Mego body I brought was left to my buddy Chuck. I'd tried re-stringing it once before - did not work, tossed it in the box because I simply wasn't feeling the creative juices. Chuck knocked it out for me and it was great having folks stay behind watching me work. Flattering to hear one of our Hall-of-Famers comment on my techniques....this place as taught me those techniques and as Austin always says, pay-it-forward.

There's been chatter on Facebook posts about paying more table fees to have the ballroom another day such as Thursday or Sunday...I know we'd be in for either choice.

It'd be nice to figure out a way to bring back the dinner traditions so we all can be together...but due to how we've grown, it is probably an unrealistic expectation and I just need to cope.

It's amazing to see we've filled a room the size of that ballroom...and it was at capacity its first year. Ummm....wow.

It's hard to explain this event to coworkers...they just don't seem to get it. It's a family reunion at its best.

When I come home with something, it's personal. Money at this type of event pretty much gets passed around from table to table lol. When I buy a custom, it's a part of that person that will forever be in a permanent collection...a reminder...a story to be retold.

I was able to unpack my swag finally. That Hulk box is going to display my used childhood figure. Waited a long time for this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22999[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23000[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23001[/ATTACH]
            You got some nice pick ups here, that Human Torch looks awesome, I would love to see the other members in 12" scale, especially the Thing.

Comment

• VintageMike
              Permanent Member
              • Dec 16, 2004

I don't mind the getting out for eating part, The meals have added a new dynamic for me that I like. I realize with the growth there's no way I'll be able to talk to everyone there, so I kind of have a "hit list" in my head of people I want to see. So whether it's in the suite, a meal, in the dealer's room or in the lobby I try to make sure I see those folks. During the course of these things is where meet new people as well. I'm also keenly aware this thing needs to grow to continue. Without it like Dr. Mego once said we'll be the old guys setting up at the train show to less and less people. The toy store visits are take it or leave it for me. Since most of my budget is for the show I'm unlikely to drop major coin on one of these side trips. I'm used to this thing being a blur. It's just how things go when you're on cloud 9 during an event, no less the highlight of most of our years. I wouldn't mind an extra day. The "official" meet on Saturday has most of the time eaten up by panels/events and with the foot traffic coming in you're not going to get in much socializing. I had a bi-polar experience in a different way. Instead of being re-fueled by a great meet, my one "detox" day wasn't nearly enough. I went back to work Tuesday angry it was all over and had that "didn't want to be there" feeling. Pretty much lasted throughout the week!

Comment

• Bronxboykev
                Permanent Member
                • Mar 7, 2011

I am with you on so many of your points, and something was going around Columbus, I woke up Monday morning as well with the same symptoms, sipping codeine infused cough medicine out of the bottle like it was a pint of rum lol spent the week home in bed. We do need more MM time, last year where I thought we did more with the group we lost this year, I felt like Saturday was a lost day as well, too much going on and all we had was 2 panels and the auction. I also felt I did not get to see everyone and everything and we were all in the same room, count us in the group if there is one of adding an extra day maybe 1 panel Friday with the auction later that day and 1 panel Saturday early??? like i said just throwing stuff around to see if it sticks.

With all that Glad to see you and Sean again and thank you for the Spoilers finally getting done! till next year!!!

Comment

• batmanmc
                  mego batman collector
                  • Jun 22, 2004

Does seem like it is too short. A staurday and sunday meet would be good , not sure how doable it is but it would be great .

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎