X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mary Canary
    Career Member
    • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by TRDouble
    You can get the Apache Chief costume for $10, or the costume and body for $13.99 USD (pre-shipped).
    Oh! Thanks for the head's up on that!
    Any suggestions on a head?
    I don't think Conan really looks like Apache Chief with that angry face.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

A shrink of the DC Classics Apache Chief looks great, but I used a vintage Cochise for a vintage vibe.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mary Canary
        Career Member
        • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by PNGwynne
        A shrink of the DC Classics Apache Chief looks great, but I used a vintage Cochise for a vintage vibe.
        I don't think I'll be doing any head shrinking, haha.
        I googled Cochise. He looks cool, but not sure I'd be able to find one.
        I did like the FTC Apache Chief figure, it's just too bad they sent me a junky one.
        Maybe I'll try again...

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
          Often invisible
          • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Mary Canary
          I did like the FTC Apache Chief figure, it's just too bad they sent me a junky one.
          Maybe I'll try again...
          I think the reason they refunded your money instead of exchanging is because they know all of those figures have wobbly heads.
          Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Gramercyplace
            Museum Super Collector
            • Jan 23, 2012

In most instances, I just replace the FTC bodies with a Type S or Dr Mego repro (both are superior to the FTC body). However, with my Apache Chief, I liked the body(the color matched the head nicely). But as you and many others have pointed out, the head was wobbly and seemed unhinged. I think PNGwynne posted some time ago a suggestion to use a rubber band around the neck post to keep it from wobbling, so I went to the Dollar Tree and picked up a bag of clear elastic bands (for ponytails) and did just that. I wrapped it around the neck post two or three times, and pushed it into place. The bands are invisible, but they are hidden inside the body regardless. It has the correct amount of tension now, and worked perfectly. I’ve now used this trick with almost all my FTC heads, particularly when you place them on original Mego bodies(which have wider neck holes).

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Thank you Gramercyplace--yes, those ponytail bands are a quick, durable fix for wobbly heads.

Mary, it's possible to tweak skin tones on vinyl heads using fabric dye. You basically tint the head and it doesn't affect the paint.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mary Canary
                Career Member
                • Jun 21, 2017

Oh gosh! I'm going to have to try this rubberband trick on my FTC Superman figure. And maybe I will reorder an Apache Chief and see what happens, I've wanted him for awhile. I really dislike the idea of having to buy an FTC figure and then swap the body with one made by another company. Doesn't this just become really expensive, if you're trading bodies for every figure you buy? I just can't believe that with all of the quality control complaints FTC hasn't tried to improve or hasn't lost business. I guess people really want their classic DC characters, eh?

I do wonder what Mego's return might mean for FTC though. I mean, I doubt Mego will be doing the DC characters, but if their new product is far superior in quality to FTC it could challenge FTC to raise the bar or drive them out... That's the thing about competition. Anyone know how FTC has reacted to the Mego news? I guess there hasn't been any real reaction. I mean they don't seem to react to their customers' critiques so maybe they're not worried about Mego either.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎