Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

^Could be...that's what I meant earlier. On the surface, he seemed to have everything going for him.

My friend Adrian killed himself two years ago on his 51st birthday. I had just seen him the week before. He was an avid collector and model builder...I even picked up some BVS kits for him, and we joked about his age the morning he killed himself.

Even now, nobody knows why he did it, not even his family.

Comment

• Makernaut
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 22, 2015

For some reason, last week I remembered a poem we had to read in high school titled "Richard Cory" so I looked it up to read it again. Not for any particular reason other than revisiting something I once read. Then this week there has been a couple of cases of people who presumably "have it all going on" committing suicide. Having just read that particular poem it makes me think about how much we presume to know about others and how little we actually know.

Comment

• Confessional
        Maker & Whatnot
        • Aug 8, 2012

in my experience the answers we *rationally* seek, the *why?* is always there, but frequently obscured, ignored, artificially diminished, etc. Mental illness is deeply and historically embedded in the US population (reported at an astounding and sobering 50% at times) and beyond, and mostly goes untreated. As a nation we abandoned mental health care in the late 20th Century and have only just begun to come to terms with the consequences and responses. We'd like to *think* we're somehow better, stronger, and not in need… that's the cultural of ego at work.

People either get the help they need, or don't, and the alternative to help is self medication and destruction.

Comment

• Iron Mego
          Wake Up Heavy
          • Jan 31, 2010

Originally posted by Confessional
          in my experience the answers we *rationally* seek, the *why?* is always there, but frequently obscured, ignored, artificially diminished, etc. Mental illness is deeply and historically embedded in the US population (reported at an astounding and sobering 50% at times) and beyond, and mostly goes untreated. As a nation we abandoned mental health care in the late 20th Century and have only just begun to come to terms with the consequences and responses. We'd like to *think* we're somehow better, stronger, and not in need… that's the cultural of ego at work.

People either get the help they need, or don't, and the alternative to help is self medication and destruction.
          Very well put.
          Wake Up Heavy Podcast

Find me on Twitter

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Mikey
            He seemed to be getting really skinny lately --- maybe he was sick and nobody knew ?
            He’s always been skinny.
            sigpic

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

A lot of people just don’t get depression...it’s a horrible thing to go through.

I was on Zoloft for a year during my year long hospilitaztion. Nothing would cheer me up, and I mean nothing.

I’d go to sleep thinking if I didn’t wake up...it would be okay, a relief as a matter of fact.

Luckily mine was not clinical depression, it was environmental. As soon as I was finally discharged, my anguish stopped.

I can only imagine someone having major clinical depression, horrid...
              sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                Museum Paramedic
                • Aug 31, 2005

^ Well said, Hec.

- Ian
                Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Goblin19
                  Talkative Member
                  • May 2, 2002

Exactly, Hector. Success or wealth has nothing to do with depression. I've suffered through many bouts in my life, some for extended periods. It's a health disorder, just like anything else.

Comment

• jwyblejr
                    galactic yo-yo
                    • Apr 6, 2006

I would have thought it was his cigarette smoking that got him.

Comment

• J.B.
                      Guild Navigator
                      • Jun 23, 2010

So damn sad.

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

He loved comics...that was his boyhood dreams...to make comics.

He did...

sigpic

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                          Permanent Member
                          • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by enyawd72
                          I can't imagine why he would do this...successful career, received numerous honors and awards, gorgeous girlfriend, worth millions and basically got paid to vacation all over the world.

Just doesn't make sense...
                          Kate Spade, Ines Zorreguieta, Alan O’neill Anthony Bourdain, Ben Krapinski + wife Steven Pitt, Tareq Kamleh, John Lermayor

All high profile "suicides" within the past few days.
                          The Conspiracy theorist in me thinks this is more than a coincidence.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎