Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My latest painting...leaving canvas behind for good.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

My latest painting...leaving canvas behind for good.

I recently had an epiphany. I realized I was tired of painting on canvas. It fights you every step of the way when you use acrylics like I do.

You have to blend tiny areas at a time before they dry. And they've never really had the vibrancy I wanted, so I went out and bought some mixed media
    and switched to gouache. The results are breathtaking. I stopped work on my latest painting and started over using gouache.

I painted the same area in less than a third of the time, and the colors are so vibrant they just explode. It is so easy to use the piece almost paints itself.
    I wish I had done this years ago. No wonder Basil Gogos used it in most of his work.

Look at the difference...new Phantom on the left, old Phantom on the right.

• Mikey
    Verbose Member
    • Aug 9, 2001

The one on the left has almost a water-color feel.

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

I can totally understand why canvas can feel obstructive, but there are different qualities to the types of paints you are comparing, correct? There are some vibrancy differences to be sure, but there seems to be more clarity and definition with the canvas. I'm sure you don't like to see the canvas texture beneath your brushstrokes, but I wouldn't dismiss it completely. It has its own strengths as well. The one on the left is different, but there are some watercolor and even "marker" like qualities to it.

Either way, you win. I can't begin to tell you how much I respect your talent and decision to use physical media rather than computer for illustration.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

^Thanks Andy...as for your questions, the paints are very similar, but with paper you have to work light to dark, vs dark to light on canvas. Also, both images are extremely enlarged. the new painting looks just as defined at regular size, and actually looks more realistic, as it's softer and lacks the hard edges of the acrylic paining, which look unnatural.

Look at his cheekbone to see what I'm talking about. In person the new one blows the other away.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

So what are painting on now? Hardboard?

I recently got away from Canvas, still using acrylics and it felt weird but I really liked it.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
            So what are painting on now? Hardboard?

I recently got away from Canvas, still using acrylics and it felt weird but I really liked it.
            Canson mixed media paper...it's good for watercolor, acrylic, marker and colored pencil. It's really nice too...very minor buckling when wet, and flattens right out again when dry. Best of all I got 60 sheets of it for what 3 canvases would've cost.

Comment

• JediJaida
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 14, 2008

Man! What a difference! Those teeth really jump out at you in the new picture.
              JediJaida

Comment

• jimbutsu
                Memory *is* RAM!
                • Apr 11, 2002

Couple things:

1) Did you ever use oils on canvas much? Certainly the fast drying time would be an issue, though the expense (among other hassles) certainly would.
                2) I thought it was an interesting choice to change color palettes when you changed media - what prompted that? Just playing with the new toys?
                3) While I have no doubt that you've worked hard and practiced a lot, there's always an undeniable amount of natural talent shining through that makes your posts delightfully infuriating.
                "If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by jimbutsu
                  Couple things:

1) Did you ever use oils on canvas much? Certainly the fast drying time would be an issue, though the expense (among other hassles) certainly would.
                  2) I thought it was an interesting choice to change color palettes when you changed media - what prompted that? Just playing with the new toys?
                  3) While I have no doubt that you've worked hard and practiced a lot, there's always an undeniable amount of natural talent shining through that makes your posts delightfully infuriating.
                  1) Oils take waaaay too long to dry. Not for me.
                  2) I decided to go nuts with this thing and throw realism out the window...my thought is the Phantom's makeup is dead white...hence the blue shading, which will transition to green across his face, ending in a bright yellow back lighting.
                  3) Thanks...LOL

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                    Often invisible
                    • Jul 18, 2002

I haven't used gauche in years, but there was a while when I really liked it. It works both thin in a watercolor fashion and think in an acrylic fashion. And it doesn't lift if you add more water over it. I used to like to paint on bristol board, cold press I think. I forget now, it's been a long time since I started painting digitally.
                    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Brazoo
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 14, 2009

Wow - looks great! I can't wait to see the finished piece!

I know a lot of artists like to paint on illustration boards or even primed masonite. I assume that's because of buckling.

I always enjoy your process threads - very cool!

Comment

• TomStrong
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 22, 2011

The paper really looks wonderful! You’re an amazing artist!! Did I read somewhere that’s the kind of paper Alex Ross uses?

Comment

• Brazoo
                          Permanent Member
                          • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by TomStrong
                          Did I read somewhere that’s the kind of paper Alex Ross uses?
                          Online sources generally say Ross uses Strathmore bristol series 400 4 ply.

Comment

• Brazoo
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by TomStrong
                            Did I read somewhere that’s the kind of paper Alex Ross uses?
                            Online sources generally say Ross uses Strathmore bristol series 400 4 ply.

I believe the surface is nearly identical to the Canson mixed media paper, but it's 4 ply, so thicker.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎