X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Kenner Alien, He's a Cutie?

I've desperately trying to scan in a newly acquired Toys R Us Flyer from 1980 for Friday (fingers crossed). I've been so busy with it that I only just noticed the Kenner Alien in there!

Such an iconic and coveted toy just regulated to the corner, it brings you back to the reality that the big chap wasn't really a big hit when he made his toy shelf debut.

Anyway, consider this a Toys R Us tease.
    For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

He is a cutie! LOL!
    Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

It's almost as if TRU had to put that "He's a cutie" bit in to dampen the horror of the figure. At the time, the Alien had to be the scariest toy ever made, especially coming from an R-rated film!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Yeah... that's not cute.

I do remember how badly they sold. The Kmart in my area had dozens of them on discount for what seemed like ages. Sold about as poorly as those talking Freddy dolls a few years later.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• rche
          channeling Bob Wills
          • Mar 26, 2008

Yep, cute as a button. There was an endcap full of them at one of the shops my mom used to frequent. I wanted one badly, but my sister said I would torment her with it (possibly true, tho she was 5 years older than me) and so we passed them by. One of my time machine toy moments. If only I could get back to that endcap. I am sure they ended up returning/destroying most of those.

Comment

• comicmike
            Persistent Member
            • Sep 22, 2009

Hahaha, cute as a bug's ear! My brother and I looked and looked for them, but we never saw them in retail in our area of the East Coast of Canada.

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

It's a design so familiar, we easily take it for granted. Back then, nothing, NOTHING like it had ever been seen or conceived. It cannot be understated how striking and disturbing that design was for its time. That the toy made it to market is remarkable. I also chuckle at the ALIEN Movie Viewer which basically said, "Hey kids, peek through this hole to see some R-Rated movie footage!"

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

It's such an awesome toy. I still have mine, which was obtained on clearance from Zellers.
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• cjefferys
                  Duke of Gloat
                  • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by rche
                  Yep, cute as a button. There was an endcap full of them at one of the shops my mom used to frequent. I wanted one badly, but my sister said I would torment her with it (possibly true, tho she was 5 years older than me) and so we passed them by. One of my time machine toy moments. If only I could get back to that endcap. I am sure they ended up returning/destroying most of those.
                  I remember seeing an endcap of them at my local K-Mart. It was the first time I saw the toy (I don't remember seeing the TV commercial to prepare me for the toy) and I fell in love. But I was a kid and didn't have the twenty bucks CDN to pay for it. Total time machine moment for me too!

Originally posted by Hedji
                  It's a design so familiar, we easily take it for granted. Back then, nothing, NOTHING like it had ever been seen or conceived. It cannot be understated how striking and disturbing that design was for its time. That the toy made it to market is remarkable. I also chuckle at the ALIEN Movie Viewer which basically said, "Hey kids, peek through this hole to see some R-Rated movie footage!"
                  Yeah, I'm sure Giger's clearly phallic design raised some eyebrows back then.

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                  It's such an awesome toy. I still have mine, which was obtained on clearance from Zellers.
                  Crap, I remember that Zellers clearance! I saw it in the flyer and begged my mom to drive me to Zellers, but she told me I was "too old for toys" (I was around 12 or 13).

Comment

• jwyblejr
                    galactic yo-yo
                    • Apr 6, 2006

I remember them at Ames back in the day but didn't pay much attention to them.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎