X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott metzger
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 9, 2007

My first Mego Meet

Still getting things unpacked and still processing everything, but I have to say I am so glad I finally got to Mego Meet. It felt different from other shows/cons I've been to almost from the moment I walked in. It was more like a family reunion than a convention, and the absolute highlight was the time just standing around and talking with folks. The banquet Austin and company put together on Friday will be one of those treasured memories I'll never forget. It didn't seem to have a lot of specific scheduled things going on but that was deceptive; it seemed there was always something cool happening every time I turned around. I really enjoyed seeing folks I've only conversed with over cyberspace and meeting new folks, as well. This is something really special, and I am definitely planning on coming again next year. Got a bunch of pics to download, crop and then upload to Flickr, and there were a couple of folks who asked me to send them copies of some photos, so let me know after I post the link here and I can send you the full sized versions.

More thoughts on the fun when I get more time; so much to comment on.
    Last edited by scott metzger; Jun 4, '18, 2:57 PM.
  • samurainoir
    Eloquent Member
    • Dec 26, 2006

Absolutely delighted to meet you. Your customs work is an inspiration to many of us, and thanks to Austin, I don't think there was a dry eye in the house by the end of the Customs Hall of Fame dinner.

So happy to hear that you plan on attending next year!
    Last edited by samurainoir; Jun 5, '18, 4:26 PM.
    My store in the MEGO MALL!

BUY THE CAPTAIN CANUCK ACTION FIGURE HERE!

Comment

• Brue
      User without title
      • Sep 29, 2005

great to talk to you. your enthusiasm is excellent. surprised you waited so long to attend.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by samurainoir
        Absolutely delighted to meet you. Your customs work is an inspiration to many of us, and thanks to Austin, I don't this there was a dry eye in the house by the end of the Customs Hall of Fame dinner.

So happy to hear that you plan on attending next year!
        I couldn't express how I feel any better. I'm so glad you attended, Scott.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• cjefferys
          Duke of Gloat
          • Apr 23, 2006

Hey Scott, it was great to see you there. I'm not much of a customizer myself (sadly I don't have much talent in that regard) but I've heard your name many times over the years as you are highly regarded in the customs world. Glad you are planning to attend again!

Comment

• darklord1967
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 27, 2008

When I first tried my hand at customizing MEGO action figures back in 1994, the name Scott Metzger was already among the elite handful of now legendary individuals who served as the inspiration for the rise of an entire hobby sub-culture.

I vividly remember staring with awed delight at the photos of Scott’s LEGIONS of custom figures... feeling the inspiration coursing through me to try my hand at this fun hobby.

And now, nearly 25 years later, during the weekend of MEGO MEET ‘18... to have Scott step over to my display area and say hello... to have him offer such kind words of encouragement about my own humble custom work... it was a thrill beyond anything I can describe.

Thank you,Scott, for yet one more thrill and privilege of meeting you this weekend.

I... am an action figure customizer

Comment

• scott metzger
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by darklord1967
              And now, nearly 25 years later, during the weekend of MEGO MEET ‘18... to have Scott step over to my display area and say hello... to have him offer such kind words of encouragement about my own humble custom work... it was a thrill beyond anything I can describe.

Thank you,Scott, for yet one more thrill and privilege of meeting you this weekend.
              "Humble custom work"? What you put together there was breathtaking. I was so glad we had some time to talk there; the passion and enthusiasm you had for the fantastic work you had done there was outright infectious. A display that tells a classic story and finding out that the Batsignal wasn't just cool, but a painstaking recreation of an actual such device from WWII (if i'm recalling correctly) truly floored me. It was a great pleasure.

Seriously, that's the way I felt about the whole weekend. There was incredible custom work on display everywhere. The above example and the Infinity War display around the corner beat anything I've seen at shows like Star Wars Celebration or the GI Joe cons. There was a wide array of custom figures in all sorts of styles, some by a new, younger generation of Mego makers (although, let's face it, I think Marty himself was one of the only people there I couldn't refer to as a "younger generation ). The panels were great, and actually seeing the legend himself at the show, hearing him talk about my favorite toy line and his part in it...extraordinary. The auction was a lot of fun (love my Batmobile!). As I said, the banquet Austin pulled together was so well done, and it was so heartfelt, I'm surprised all the honorees weren't sitting there crying the whole time. Got to see the Dynamic Trio and two of their arch foes in full regalia, pose by the Batmobile and Joker Van. And loads of great stuff to tempt me and make my wallet cry out. But, as I said before, it was the atmosphere more than anything that won me over. I just kept hearing Han Solo in my head, saying, "Chewy, we're home." It was a "meet," not a "con" or a "show." I just felt comfortable there from the moment I walked in, and that lasted until I left the hotel. I really felt like I connected with a lot of folks there, just hanging out after the activities were done or heading out to dinner that last night. I'd only physically met a few of the folks in person over the years, but it felt like I knew everyone. I've rarely enjoyed a gathering like this so much. Now, I have about the same feelings toward plane trips as B.A. Baracus on the A-Team, but I'm still planning on braving the airways next year; it's worth it. To Steve Moore and everyone involved in putting this together: thank you.

And, before I forget, here's some pics from the show: https://www.flickr.com/photos/685413...57697110869694
              Last edited by scott metzger; Jun 5, '18, 3:39 PM.

Comment

• VintageMike
                Permanent Member
                • Dec 16, 2004

Great to meet you. I've been to 11 of these (all awesome) and always great when I can not only meet someone new but someone I missed, because a few folks were already "on break" so to speak when I first came one the museum.

Comment

• Blue Meanie
                  Banned
                  • Jun 23, 2001

It's good to see the veterans of the older forums come back and enjoy Mego Meet. I noticed in the pics that you have on flicker there is a pic of 3 honorees. The one that stuck out that I remember from the old Yahoo Mego Group was in memorium of Mike Haspiel. I was on the yahoo list/group and remember Mike/Gnat68. Such a great person to deal with and someone that really had a passion for the hobby. I hope the plaque will get to his brother Dean Haspiel.

Comment

• pmwasson
                    Maker
                    • Sep 12, 2007

It was great meeting and talking with you Scott.
                    sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• scott metzger
                      Persistent Member
                      • Jul 9, 2007

pmwasson, VintageMike, cjefferys, darklord1967, PNGwynne, Brue, samurainoir - So great meeting all you guys, as well. Such a great time just hanging out and talking with folks.

Comment

• RobTMego
                        Career Member
                        • Mar 15, 2013

was amazing meet you and talking, always cool to meet another South East Megohead.

Comment

• noelani72
                          27inaleon
                          • Jun 25, 2002

It was nice meeting you and hanging out. The community here has certainly inspired me to make customs. Looking forward to what you cook up before the next meet.

Comment

• Flynne
                            Permanent Member
                            • Jan 22, 2003

Levy Listers Unite! It was a pleasure to finally meet you in person, sir. Now you know the secret of why we come to wherever this show goes off - Mego family is the best family!
                            An old Irish Blessing - "May those who love us, love us; and if they do not love us, may God turn their hearts; and if He does not turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles, that we may know them by their limping"

Comment

• batmanmc
                              mego batman collector
                              • Jun 22, 2004

I hope you come back next year . It was nice meeting you .

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎