Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Supergirl(s), Two-Face and Unmasked Harley!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rodkeith
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 16, 2008

New Supergirl(s), Two-Face and Unmasked Harley!

Dem-OqnXcAAeTjm.jpg
    Dem-OqdX4AAbOK3.jpg
    Dem-OqqXUAAu5tK.jpg
    Dem-OrwX4AERGan.jpg

I didn't see these attached to the Newsletter, so I borrowed these from FTC's Twitter feed. I think they all look really good! Particularly impressed with the Supergirl and Harley face sculpts.
  • JediJaida
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 14, 2008

I'm not in love with the yellow and green Supergirl. The head is too juvenile and babyish, not to mention the use of that straight armed body. The new sculpt for the other Supergirl is much more mature snd even has a slight mischievous look.

Harley's new sculpt, while a bit cartoony, is just fine. And the double pigtails are pretty nice looking. Her costume looks nice and tight, not like the saggy, baggy Dr. Denton pajamas some of the others wear.
    JediJaida

Comment

• rodkeith
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 16, 2008

Yeah, I really don't like the teen girl heads or bodies in general. Too "doll-like". Really wish they would come up with something new (though adult female may be first in line for that).

Comment

• TRDouble
        Permanent Member
        • Jul 10, 2012

Ah! I thought I had read about a new Supergirl; glad to know I am not crazy!

I like the new Supergirl a lot. It even appears that they got the belt loops right and stitched to the top of the skirt, unlike on Superman and Superboy's shorts. The rubber boots means she will be a pain to keep standing though. I like some of the new boot designs, but I would prefer a harder plastic, like the classic hero boots, over the soft rubber.

Two-Face is fine. I just don't know why I'd need another one. Although Two-Face always gives me hope that we will see a Composite Superman one day.

Unmasked Harley looks fine too. I've just never been a fan of the character.

Green and yellow Supergirl... umm, okay.

I wonder where these will show up? In new series? The Batman figures are really just variants, so maybe they will just be released singly, but at the same time.

BTW, I can see the new Supergirl head being used for The Outsiders Halo.

Comment

• Mary Canary
          Career Member
          • Jun 21, 2017

Explain to me the green Supergirl. Was this a one-off appearance in the comics?

No offense to anyone here, but I can't fathom the reasoning behind creating a figure for her. It's not even like they made her as a variant to the classic blue/red - she's a totally different scale and figure. It seems like they'd only sell a dozen or so to diehard Superman fans. And there are so many other Superman characters they could make that would appeal to a wider range of customers. General Zod and Saturn Girl are tops on my list!

I do like the classic red skirt Supergirl. I don't think that's a different head sculpt than the previous Supergirl figure - maybe just painted a little differently. Ha, of course I just ordered from FTC a week ago. So I'll have to wait a bit if I decide to pick her up. I wonder if she has undies or a 1 piece leotard. I feel like FTC should include such a detail. I know Mary Marvel didn't.

PS - What do you suppose it means on the Supergirl figures? - "Length of chain approx. 12 inches." Do they come with chains?
          Last edited by Mary Canary; Jun 1, '18, 11:36 AM.

Comment

• Your pal, Jim
            Museum Patron
            • Apr 3, 2015

Originally posted by Mary Canary
            Explain to me the green Supergirl. Was this a one-off appearance in the comics?
            In Superman #123, from 1958, Jimmy Olsen used a magic totem to create a super-partner for Superman, Super-Girl. She was wiped out of existence by the end of the story, but fan reaction was positive so they created the "real" Supergirl a year later. In that first story, Super-Girl has blonde hair and an outfit that's colored pretty much like the regular Supergirl we all know.

When DC reprinted the story for Superman Annual #6 in 1962, they colored Super-Girl's hair and outfit differently, in order to differentiate her from the regular Supergirl. They also renamed the story "The First Supergirl".

(I learned all this myself this morning!)

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

I really like Supergirl and two-face, and probably pick them up, although I'm not to crazy about Harley and green/yellow Supergirl.

Comment

• Mary Canary
                Career Member
                • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by Your pal, Jim
                In Superman #123, from 1958, Jimmy Olsen used a magic totem to create a super-partner for Superman, Super-Girl. She was wiped out of existence by the end of the story, but fan reaction was positive so they created the "real" Supergirl a year later. In that first story, Super-Girl has blonde hair and an outfit that's colored pretty much like the regular Supergirl we all know.

When DC reprinted the story for Superman Annual #6 in 1962, they colored Super-Girl's hair and outfit differently, in order to differentiate her from the regular Supergirl. They also renamed the story "The First Supergirl".

(I learned all this myself this morning!)
                Oh interesting that they recolored her.
                I was googling trying to find an image and kept coming across that Superman 123, but the costume was not green/yellow.
                Now I've found an image of the recolored version from the comics.

I still don't understand - was there some high demand for making this figure??
                And why use the teenage body if Kara Zor-El Supergirl is always on the adult body??
                I would think as a variant she could be kinda cool, but I'd want her to have an identical body type to the standard SG.

FirstSupergirlreedit.jpg

Comment

• Robert_Anthony
                  Museum Patron
                  • Sep 5, 2015

The old school Supergirl...being red and blue...FANTASTIC! Might get her. The other one...well not so much

Comment

• TRDouble
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jul 10, 2012

Thanks for the history lesson, Your pal, Jim!

But after all of that (and some internet searching), I don't get why FTC just didn't release the same Supergirl, just with different colored hair (instant parts fodder on the CTVT website!) and the recolored suit? Even on the cover of the original issue, Super-Girl almost looked like Super-Woman (not sure how she looked inside the pages; maybe younger like on the cover of the Superman Annual?).

I don't mind stuff like this. The green cape 1st Appearance Robin was kind of cool. Maybe I'd be more interested if the base body and overall execution of Super-Girl were better, or if this Super-Girl were more well known, like Bat-Girl.

Comment

• Mary Canary
                      Career Member
                      • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by TRDouble
                      Thanks for the history lesson, Your pal, Jim!

But after all of that (and some internet searching), I don't get why FTC just didn't release the same Supergirl, just with different colored hair (instant parts fodder on the CTVT website!) and the recolored suit? Even on the cover of the original issue, Super-Girl almost looked like Super-Woman (not sure how she looked inside the pages; maybe younger like on the cover of the Superman Annual?).

I don't mind stuff like this. The green cape 1st Appearance Robin was kind of cool. Maybe I'd be more interested if the base body and overall execution of Super-Girl were better, or if this Super-Girl were more well known, like Bat-Girl.
                      Agree! You said everything I have been thinking.

Comment

• JediJaida
                        Talkative Member
                        • Jun 14, 2008

Why not use the new SG sculpt, and give it red hair?? Then put it on an adult body?

Their complete lack of logic astounds me.
                        JediJaida

Comment

• OCSuperman
                          Museum Patron
                          • Sep 4, 2014

I really like the new 8" Supergirl. Two Face and a Harley are nice. They make me excited for upcoming ...

Black Canary
                          Zatanna
                          Atom
                          Batman & the Outsiders

Bring on a new Aquaman.

Comment

• The Bat
                            Batman Fanatic
                            • Jul 14, 2002

LOVE Harley!! I'm definitely buying her! Two-Face looks good and Supergirl is just ok.
                            sigpic

Comment

• darkbros
                              Persistent Member
                              • Jul 3, 2012

Supergirl....not a new sculpt, more like just painted differently.
                              Looks to me like Jane....

image1
                              supergirl.jpg

Two Face...Really? I was expecting FTC to do something different something more like this.....
                              image2
                              twoface.jpg

Guess I'll pass on this one until they Part out the face...Maybe Emerald city or Excelsior can give us this one as a variant?

Harley..meh.

Baby Supergirl, pass.
                              Customizing 1:9: My Videoblog journey of Customizing!
                              https://www.facebook.com/customizingonenine
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------
                              "I don't do it for the haters, I do it for the players." --snoop dogg

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎