Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ODBJBG
    Permanent Member
    • May 15, 2009

Honestly I'm just interested in the scale of things. And no, I don't mean scale as in height, I mean as in delivery. They mention a retailer, so that's a good sign, but at the same time that could mean EE, whereas one thinks bigger.

I know a lot of people are excited cause it's "real Mego" but honestly that doesn't mean much to me. That's a sticker on a box.

I mean, trust me I GET IT, but it's not enough for me to get too worked up about either. I want good licenses and quality product. It's not like there hasn't been "Mego" toys available for several years now. FTC has made a ton of stuff, DST has made stuff, EMCE made stuff, BifBangPow made stuff, and many more. The difference in all of those instances, IMO, has been the quality of the products and the importance of the licenses.

If this new Mego churns out crap like oversized heads and shoddy bodies for licenses like cheesy TV shows, I could give two craps even if it is "real" Mego.

So I am very interested in hearing those sorts of answers. What's the licenses, what's the product going to look like, how's the quality gonna be, etc. That's what's important to me.

Comment

• tllgn
      Persistent Member
      • Feb 6, 2010

very interesting ,i collected a lot of retro megos from FTC,Bif bang pow !,Emce diamond select ,and a little from spector ,odeon,castaway,nemo,Mattel and whomever i missed ,some where great ,some so-so .
      and ill be waitin to see Mego-2 figures .most likely Mego-2 is Emce toys .and the Star trek figures ,universal monsters,planet of the apes and the ledgendary marvel superheros were very good ,dr.mego said
      he wanted to get Vina and Chaple done somehow,maybe it is trek ? .could be action jackson or pocket/comic action figures .i would welcome new marvel figures/sets/singles .trek,apes ,monsters of course.then again
      it might be something fresh like the orville .I get my DC fix ,66 bats fix,superfriends fix from FTC ,so i need my marvel,starwars,trek,apes,six million dollar man,irwin allen ,classic tv show fix from Mego-2 (or what
      you want to call it ) whatever it turns out to be it will be cool to see that mego logo on the figures card ,weather its in a clam-shell or blister .bring on the goodness.

Comment

• josephcardone
        Persistent Member
        • Jun 10, 2010

To see how Mego would do Star Wars would be the best. I was a big vintage Star Wars collector before the prices became ridiculous - but I felt ripped off in 1978 when the 3 3/4 inch Kenner’s came out (even though the play value was great).

I think it would make Marty feel better about things too. LOL

I may be dreaming though!!

The fact that Paul is involved, it is a given that whatever comes out will be Mego + quality. He has the highest standards

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

I've been openly dismissive of the "more figures = always good" outlook. A mediocre-to-crappy manufactured product devalues Mego because it highlights the flaws of the originals and overshadows their unique traits. It's like a mirrorverse where AHI won the war.

But Doc and Marty...this is the real deal. I'm expecting some small changes due to regulations, but that's a full guess on my part based on how Mr. Abrams talked about toys in the 70's being the wild west period.

Otherwise, yeah. This is it.

Comment

• finestcomics
            • Feb 9, 2012

This is an announcement I've followed for a short time, but man does it sound exciting. I'm all for old school and nostalgia, but Disney assuming Marvel and Star Wars has pretty much reset the pop culture clock, and it's felt like the second coming of the Golden Age of Disney. If I were a company wanting to make a statement and impact, I'd be starting with characters that are hot movie properties at the moment. Imagine a throwback to the SW early bird set, with Luke, Leia, R2 and Chewie. Black Panther or Thanos would be massively well received. I know this might not be for everyone, but I'd rather they do something where they aren't only rebooting the old Mego lines, and doing some fresh, something different. From the Star Wars pespective, it would be like Mego having a second chance at showing how they would have done the large size action figure line. Dare I say, this would be even more exciting if they decided to also do the pocket super hero format.

Comment

• Bionicfanboy66
              Career Member
              • Jul 30, 2012

Originally posted by kerowack
              I’m also guessing stranger things or a more modern show along those lines.
              The Orville maybe? That would be a fun way for Mego to relaunch. Also thinking if the new stuff is aimed towards we adult age collectors, then the FXX series Archer would also be an interesting license.
              Last edited by Bionicfanboy66; Jun 4, '18, 2:18 AM.

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                Invincible Ironing Man
                • Feb 28, 2008

Whatever it may be, Mego returning is great news. It opens up all kinds of options...
                "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• kerowack
                  Career Member
                  • Feb 27, 2008

Originally posted by Bionicfanboy66
                  The Orville maybe? That would be a fun way for Mego to relaunch. Also thinking if the new stuff is aimed towards we adult age collectors, then the FXX series Archer would also be an interesting license.
                  I would actually like figures based on The Orville, but is it popular enough? I'm thinking Walking Dead, Stranger Things and stuff like that. I really just want Marvel characters and my pipe dream has always been Arrested Development.

Comment

• jayraytee
                    Career Member
                    • May 27, 2011

Well at this point there is no real point in coming back if it isn't Marvel or DC.. I mean mego made a bunch of stuff back in the day, but Marvel and DC were the main properties. If It's not one of therm, then I don't really care if it's got the Mego name on it.

Are they getting around the Marvel $80 pricepoint license restriction by making a different size figure?
                    My posts were needlessly deleted ...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^Mego made plenty of other products besides the super heroes. Sure they were one of their biggest hits, but the history of the company is more than just the super heroes. Who is to say that the NEW Mego won't get back to super heroes eventually. But even if they don't there is a lot history out there for them to pull from, as well as new ventures to go into.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                        Museum Paramedic
                        • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                        ^Mego made plenty of other products besides the super heroes. Sure they were one of their biggest hits, but the history of the company is more than just the super heroes. Who is to say that the NEW Mego won't get back to super heroes eventually. But even if they don't there is a lot history out there for them to pull from, as well as new ventures to go into.

Chris
                        So, it is for sure that what will be put out soon by Mego will not be Marvel and/or DC superheroes? Still interested...just asking.

- Ian
                        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                          So, it is for sure that what will be put out soon by Mego will not be Marvel and/or DC superheroes? Still interested...just asking.
                          Nothing is certain, we all find out together soon.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                            Museum Paramedic
                            • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
                            Nothing is certain, we all find out together soon.
                            10-4

- Ian
                            Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• ovenmitt
                              Persistent Member
                              • May 26, 2009

Thanks, palitoy, now I have hope for Marvel.

FTC has DC 8" and 12" and Super Friends and 66 TV Batman. Maybe new MEGO can license other DC properties like DCEU and CWDC TV? Even Lynda Carter, Christopher Reeve and Tim Burton Batman?

WGSH was Mego' s most popular and beloved line. I hope it continues in some form at new MEGO.

Comment

• palitoy
                                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                                • Jun 16, 2001

It's really important to Mego that the first wave is well received. It increases retailer confidence and also, gives credibility to other licenses they are actively pursuing.

So, be sure to tell others.
                                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎