Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gorn Captain
    Invincible Ironing Man
    • Feb 28, 2008

I'm just hoping for something new, that we haven't seen before, not a revisiting.
    "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• megozilla13
      Persistent Member
      • May 10, 2002

I was looking for licenses announced today but can't find anything. What was the announcement?
      WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• LonnieFisher
        Eloquent Member
        • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by megozilla13
        I was looking for licenses announced today but can't find anything. What was the announcement?
        Delayed until next month.

Comment

• BATMAN89
          Mego obsessed!!!
          • Jul 20, 2010

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
          Delayed until next month.
          Thank you Lonnie. I was checking this thread for info and never saw Doc’s update from 6/14.
          All I kept seeing were the posts about people wishing for this or that, so I figured nothing important had been announced yet.
          Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
          My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• tmthor
            God of Knock-offs
            • Nov 29, 2005

Originally posted by Gorn Captain
            I'm just hoping for something new, that we haven't seen before, not a revisiting.
            Yeah i would be dissappointed if its just a bunch of metv tv shows (except scifi sat ones) like bonanza rifle man or stuff like brady bunch or Gilligan s island....stuff like that wont sell well now

Comment

• Brown Bear
              Still Old School
              • Feb 14, 2008

Speak for yourself. I’d be all over Bonanza and Rifleman megos! I’m hoping we see nothing but nostalgic characters. No matter who they make, some will be thrilled and others will wine. That’s how it goes.
              Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• warlock664
                Persistent Member
                • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                I wish I could "like" this !

Comment

• BATMAN89
                  Mego obsessed!!!
                  • Jul 20, 2010

In most cases I will only buy superheroes, but I doubt they will get the Marvel license.
                  Big Kid Toys Facebook Page!

My Good Trader's List
                  My Early Custom Megos

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                    Radioactive!
                    • Feb 13, 2010

What about Archie? I'd buy the Shield and his fellow heroes.

Comment

• knight errant00
                      8 Inch Action Figure
                      • Nov 15, 2005

Originally posted by cjefferys
                      I don't even think those would be possible. James Gunn wanted to have Bug in the first Guardians film, and although he was a character created especially for the comic so theoretically should be owned by Marvel, the Marvel/Disney lawyers couldn't find out if this was 100% true, so they didn't risk using him. Probably the same with any potential toy license as well.
                      Right. because, in spite of his being SO different, in all the early issues, he was tied to the toy line as "Bug, Galactic Warrior" which I'm sure has made this whole thing sticky and hard to untangle, with Marvel's own printed text connecting bug directly to the Micronauts toy as an interpretation.

Comment

• Mego-Amigo
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jun 22, 2011

I hope it's a mix of reissues and new characters. Anyway... unless it's retro properties I won't be interested either.

Comment

• MRP
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 19, 2016

I hope there is a mix of new and old properties mostly. I want the 8 year olds of today to discover a Mego of something they love and have the same kind of experience I did, not just a bunch of folks my age reliving their experiences when they were 8 years old. If Mego is going to grow and thrive, it needs to capture new customers as well as bringing back a handful of the old customers. A business that is not growing is dying, and the niche nostalgia market is small and full of competitors, so if Mego is going to be a growing concern and not have a shelf limited to the lifespan of the current generation who discovered Mego as kids in the 70s, it has to find a new young customer base. And that means some of their output might not appeal to me personally, but I am good with that. Not everything has to be about what I want, and to be honest there are a bunch of nostalgic lines they could bring back that I wouldn't be interested in either. I like WGSH, Trek and Apes because the properties themselves appealed t the 8 year old me, not because they were Mego. I came to love Mego because of the character toys they produced, not love the toys because they were Megos. My cousin had the Wizard of Oz stuff when I was a kid and it never appealed to me because I was never a big Oz fan, the same with the Waltons, Dukes, Chips, etc. Wasn't a big fan so didn't want the toys even if they were Megos. If the new Mego Corp aspires to be more than a vanity label producing niche product to a hardcore collector market for a few years, it needs to trade in properties that have growth potential outside that audience as well as appealing to that audience to give it traction in the short term. A mix of evergreen properties (like WGSH) that appeal to both, properties aimed at the nostalgia market, and properties aimed at a younger mass audience would offer the best chance to have a built in audience at launch and future growth potential to give the company legs.

-M
                          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

I wouldn't turn down She-Ra dolls. MOTU and Thundercats would also be nice.
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• TrekStar
                              Trek or Treat
                              • Jan 20, 2011

I have a feeling that the new mego will appeal to folks like us, and not so much today's kids, most kids 10 and older are more into video games and sports teams items and may consider new mego figures as "looks cool" but not worth my time.

I still see FTC figures on the shelves at comic book stores from last summer marked down, what would make new mego figures any different? It's a different generation because today's kids have much more to choose from then we did in the 70's

I think the only chance to get (maybe) an older range kids interested would be Star Wars figures, 8 inch in cloth outfits
                              and not to play with but to keep it for display, and I'm only 50/50 on that prediction, and I don't even think new mego could get Star Wars licensed figures anyway.

New mego is a big deal to (us) because we grew up with them back in the day and I'm sure many folks here will definitely buy the figures or at least the ones there interested in, but compared to what else is out there for kids to get, for example Jurrassic park merchandise now that the new movie will be coming out on Friday.

Adult toy collectors would most likely be the higher percentage buyers of the new mego figures and not so much today's kids that it's being aimed at, or is it really being aimed at adult collectors and not so much today's kids? could possibly be a smart move.

(BUT) if adult collectors and slimy eBay sellers who buy these up and then sell on eBay to make profits then so be it, as long as new mego makes a worthy profit and not break even, it would be worth it for them if that was the intention from the beginning.

New Mego would have to sell better quality merchandise than there competitors and at a cheaper cost, for the (adult) collectors interest, (and I think they can and will) because there 70's mego bodies are probably the second best bodies out there today 40 years later.

what I'm saying is the adult collector will be the main buyer of these figures and not so much children, but like I said, if it makes a worth while profit for new mego then go for it.

Comment

• MRP
                                Persistent Member
                                • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by tjacwave50
                                New Mego would have to sell better quality merchandise than there competitors and at a cheaper cost, for the (adult) collectors interest, (and I think they can and will) because there 70's mego bodies are probably the second best bodies out there today 40 years later.
                                Usually, the only way you can achieve that is to have economy of scale of production tilted in your favor, which means finding a mass audience so you can produce more and lower per unit cost. If you are selling to a niche market, it is much more likely you have to choose one of the other-better quality or lower prices, not both because unit costs are higher the fewer units you produce. To improve quality, you have to increase pries because unit costs are higher. To lower prices, you have to lower production costs which usually translates to lesser quality materials or overall products. Not saying Mego can't do it, but to achieve both without a larger economy of scale is an uphill battle at best and usually a pipe dream. The math just doesn't work on the smaller production scales unless you get some kind of windfall/cost cutting shortcut/inside track on materials or on production. If unit prices are high, you either have to lower your margin when selling to retailers, which cuts profits, or retailers have to up their prices to maintain their margins (and they have other options with better margins so they're not going to lower their margins for you), especially if your retail partner is a brick and mortar retailer. FTC has priced itself out of the brick and mortar retail market for the most part, most likely because economy of scale is working against them and their production runs aren't large enough to make unit costs low enough for their to be an attractive margin for retailers to buy and sell at retail. That's what happens when you only target a niche adult collector market, and it becomes a downward spiral quickly because you don't gain new customers to replace old customers who lose interest, are dissatisfied, age out, retire and have a fixed income with less disposable money, pass away, etc.

-M
                                "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎