Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 49141924272829
Results 281 to 288 of 288

Thread: The big announcement is.....

  1. #281
    I hope it's a mix of reissues and new characters. Anyway... unless it's retro properties I won't be interested either.

  2. #282
    Join Date
    Jul 19, 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    712
    I hope there is a mix of new and old properties mostly. I want the 8 year olds of today to discover a Mego of something they love and have the same kind of experience I did, not just a bunch of folks my age reliving their experiences when they were 8 years old. If Mego is going to grow and thrive, it needs to capture new customers as well as bringing back a handful of the old customers. A business that is not growing is dying, and the niche nostalgia market is small and full of competitors, so if Mego is going to be a growing concern and not have a shelf limited to the lifespan of the current generation who discovered Mego as kids in the 70s, it has to find a new young customer base. And that means some of their output might not appeal to me personally, but I am good with that. Not everything has to be about what I want, and to be honest there are a bunch of nostalgic lines they could bring back that I wouldn't be interested in either. I like WGSH, Trek and Apes because the properties themselves appealed t the 8 year old me, not because they were Mego. I came to love Mego because of the character toys they produced, not love the toys because they were Megos. My cousin had the Wizard of Oz stuff when I was a kid and it never appealed to me because I was never a big Oz fan, the same with the Waltons, Dukes, Chips, etc. Wasn't a big fan so didn't want the toys even if they were Megos. If the new Mego Corp aspires to be more than a vanity label producing niche product to a hardcore collector market for a few years, it needs to trade in properties that have growth potential outside that audience as well as appealing to that audience to give it traction in the short term. A mix of evergreen properties (like WGSH) that appeal to both, properties aimed at the nostalgia market, and properties aimed at a younger mass audience would offer the best chance to have a built in audience at launch and future growth potential to give the company legs.

    -M

  3. #283
    Join Date
    Jul 14, 2003
    Location
    Netherworld
    Posts
    10,721
    Images
    139
    I wouldn't turn down She-Ra dolls. MOTU and Thundercats would also be nice.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

  4. #284
    Join Date
    Jan 20, 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    4,316
    I have a feeling that the new mego will appeal to folks like us, and not so much today's kids, most kids 10 and older are more into video games and sports teams items and may consider new mego figures as "looks cool" but not worth my time.

    I still see FTC figures on the shelves at comic book stores from last summer marked down, what would make new mego figures any different? It's a different generation because today's kids have much more to choose from then we did in the 70's

    I think the only chance to get (maybe) an older range kids interested would be Star Wars figures, 8 inch in cloth outfits
    and not to play with but to keep it for display, and I'm only 50/50 on that prediction, and I don't even think new mego could get Star Wars licensed figures anyway.

    New mego is a big deal to (us) because we grew up with them back in the day and I'm sure many folks here will definitely buy the figures or at least the ones there interested in, but compared to what else is out there for kids to get, for example Jurrassic park merchandise now that the new movie will be coming out on Friday.

    Adult toy collectors would most likely be the higher percentage buyers of the new mego figures and not so much today's kids that it's being aimed at, or is it really being aimed at adult collectors and not so much today's kids? could possibly be a smart move.

    (BUT) if adult collectors and slimy eBay sellers who buy these up and then sell on eBay to make profits then so be it, as long as new mego makes a worthy profit and not break even, it would be worth it for them if that was the intention from the beginning.

    New Mego would have to sell better quality merchandise than there competitors and at a cheaper cost, for the (adult) collectors interest, (and I think they can and will) because there 70's mego bodies are probably the second best bodies out there today 40 years later.

    what I'm saying is the adult collector will be the main buyer of these figures and not so much children, but like I said, if it makes a worth while profit for new mego then go for it.

  5. #285
    Join Date
    Jul 19, 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by tjacwave50 View Post
    New Mego would have to sell better quality merchandise than there competitors and at a cheaper cost, for the (adult) collectors interest, (and I think they can and will) because there 70's mego bodies are probably the second best bodies out there today 40 years later.
    .
    Usually, the only way you can achieve that is to have economy of scale of production tilted in your favor, which means finding a mass audience so you can produce more and lower per unit cost. If you are selling to a niche market, it is much more likely you have to choose one of the other-better quality or lower prices, not both because unit costs are higher the fewer units you produce. To improve quality, you have to increase pries because unit costs are higher. To lower prices, you have to lower production costs which usually translates to lesser quality materials or overall products. Not saying Mego can't do it, but to achieve both without a larger economy of scale is an uphill battle at best and usually a pipe dream. The math just doesn't work on the smaller production scales unless you get some kind of windfall/cost cutting shortcut/inside track on materials or on production. If unit prices are high, you either have to lower your margin when selling to retailers, which cuts profits, or retailers have to up their prices to maintain their margins (and they have other options with better margins so they're not going to lower their margins for you), especially if your retail partner is a brick and mortar retailer. FTC has priced itself out of the brick and mortar retail market for the most part, most likely because economy of scale is working against them and their production runs aren't large enough to make unit costs low enough for their to be an attractive margin for retailers to buy and sell at retail. That's what happens when you only target a niche adult collector market, and it becomes a downward spiral quickly because you don't gain new customers to replace old customers who lose interest, are dissatisfied, age out, retire and have a fixed income with less disposable money, pass away, etc.

    -M

  6. #286
    Join Date
    Nov 29, 2005
    Location
    Somewhere beyond the Heavens
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by tjacwave50 View Post
    I have a feeling that the new mego will appeal to folks like us, and not so much today's kids, most kids 10 and older are more into video games and sports teams items and may consider new mego figures as "looks cool" but not worth my time.

    I still see FTC figures on the shelves at comic book stores from last summer marked down, what would make new mego figures any different? It's a different generation because today's kids have much more to choose from then we did in the 70's

    I think the only chance to get (maybe) an older range kids interested would be Star Wars figures, 8 inch in cloth outfits
    and not to play with but to keep it for display, and I'm only 50/50 on that prediction, and I don't even think new mego could get Star Wars licensed figures anyway.

    New mego is a big deal to (us) because we grew up with them back in the day and I'm sure many folks here will definitely buy the figures or at least the ones there interested in, but compared to what else is out there for kids to get, for example Jurrassic park merchandise now that the new movie will be coming out on Friday.

    Adult toy collectors would most likely be the higher percentage buyers of the new mego figures and not so much today's kids that it's being aimed at, or is it really being aimed at adult collectors and not so much today's kids? could possibly be a smart move.

    (BUT) if adult collectors and slimy eBay sellers who buy these up and then sell on eBay to make profits then so be it, as long as new mego makes a worthy profit and not break even, it would be worth it for them if that was the intention from the beginning.

    New Mego would have to sell better quality merchandise than there competitors and at a cheaper cost, for the (adult) collectors interest, (and I think they can and will) because there 70's mego bodies are probably the second best bodies out there today 40 years later.

    what I'm saying is the adult collector will be the main buyer of these figures and not so much children, but like I said, if it makes a worth while profit for new mego then go for it.
    Can we keep this a secret from the Star Wars & GI Joe collectors otherwise they might try to convince us to pass on them and wait for them to get to Ross or $5 & below.

  7. #287
    I absolutely agree that the adult collectors are going to be the main ones buying new Mego. Most kids these days with maybe a few exceptions are going to be more interested in more detailed figures like NECA, McFarlane and Hasbro's Marvel Legends and Star Wars Black Series if they are action figure fans. I love 8 inch Mego figures because it does appeal to my inner child and I have a lot of great memories of growing up with them and collecting them for most of my adult life. Also... as MRP stated above about himself... I love the properties that were being produced by Mego back in the day like POTA, ST and WGSH. I didn't love just any 8 inch Mego figure and don't collect just anything that is an 8 inch retro style figure. There have been many nice properties produced in 8 inch retro style in the last several years like Battlestar Galactica, Batman 66, Dark Shadows, Flash Gordon, Hanna-Barbera, SMDM, Super Friends and Twilight Zone which I collect passionately but I doubt seriously kids would be interested in them. If the new Mego produces similar properties for the adult collectors I think they will be successful to a degree but the young generation is interested in a different style of action figure if they are interested in them at all. Maybe the reason for new Mego producing different scales. I'm not interested in a bunch of new 8 inch retro style figures based on new comics, movies and TV shows though some here might be. I hope they keep the properties retro too.

  8. #288
    Join Date
    Jul 19, 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by Mego-Amigo View Post
    I absolutely agree that the adult collectors are going to be the main ones buying new Mego. Most kids these days with maybe a few exceptions are going to be more interested in more detailed figures like NECA, McFarlane and Hasbro's Marvel Legends and Star Wars Black Series if they are action figure fans. I love 8 inch Mego figures because it does appeal to my inner child and I have a lot of great memories of growing up with them and collecting them for most of my adult life. Also... as MRP stated above about himself... I love the properties that were being produced by Mego back in the day like POTA, ST and WGSH. I didn't love just any 8 inch Mego figure and don't collect just anything that is an 8 inch retro style figure. There have been many nice properties produced in 8 inch retro style in the last several years like Battlestar Galactica, Batman 66, Dark Shadows, Flash Gordon, Hanna-Barbera, SMDM, Super Friends and Twilight Zone which I collect passionately but I doubt seriously kids would be interested in them. If the new Mego produces similar properties for the adult collectors I think they will be successful to a degree but the young generation is interested in a different style of action figure if they are interested in them at all. Maybe the reason for new Mego producing different scales. I'm not interested in a bunch of new 8 inch retro style figures based on new comics, movies and TV shows though some here might be. I hope they keep the properties retro too.
    But (and I might be remembering this wrong) wasn't it hinted that the 8 inch line wasn't going to be the only thing produced by the new Mego Corp? That other formats and scales were on the table? If so, then it's quite possible that the adult collector market is NOT their only target audience, and that they have aspirations beyond just that market. Everyone here is focused only on that 8 inch line like it was going to be the entirety of the new Mego's line.

    -M

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •