X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kit walker
    • Jul 10, 2012

Phantom figure... first version???

Hey guys!

I'm looking for some answers regarding a Phantom figure that I acquired recently. I've sent a message to Cast-A-Way Toys via their Facebook page but unfortunately, they didn't get back to me... so if some of you can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

So, the figure that I found is dressed with the "Mr. Walker incognito disguise kit" and the reason why I bought it, it's because the trenchcoat is different than the "released" version. When I first saw it, I thought that someone had just changed the trenchcoat but there's a picture of that same version on Cast-A-Way's Facebook page. As you can see, the color is different, the trenchcoat is also thicker and there's no belt buckle... so I'm wondering if this version was offered to those who ordered the disguise kit or if some of you have the same?

I also had a nice surprise when I looked at the figure under that trenchcoat... the Phantom figure is also different than all the ones I have!!! Different head (which I find superior to the released version), different tissue used for the costume and also the color is darker, different striped trunk, different rings (I mean, they are not only silver like the others) and also a different knife in the boot! I know this version was used for promo photos when Cast-A-Way were advertising the figures at the beginning (see last photo) but again, I'm wondering if this version has been officially released (if yes, how many were made?) or if it was just a kind of prototype...

I sincerely hope to get answers to my questions... so curious to know more about it.
    Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by kit walker; May 30, '18, 3:42 PM.
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I could be mistaken, so don't take this for gospel, but having art directed and designed the ad, and being present when these photos were taken by my friend Bobby, I think what you have may be the hand-painted prototype seen in those photos, or at least an exact duplicate of it.

As far as I know, this version was not mass produced.

But I will wait for David to weigh in officially.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• kit walker
      • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      I could be mistaken, so don't take this for gospel, but having art directed and designed the ad, and being present when these photos were taken by my friend Bobby, I think what you have may be the hand-painted prototype seen in those photos, or at least an exact duplicate of it.

As far as I know, this version was not mass produced.

But I will wait for David to weigh in officially.

Chris
      Thanks Chris! Well, let's see what David think about it.

The figure came also with the clamshell and the inner card is a bit different; no "8 inch action figure..." under "The Phantom" and no Cast-A-Way logo at the bottom left of the card. Colors are also a bit different... can you tell me more about it?

Comment

• Makernaut
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 22, 2015

That's an interesting piece and as a Castaway Toys fan, I'm looking forward to reading what the story is on it.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
          Moderation Engineer
          • Aug 14, 2003

I'll defer to the Cast-A-Way guys. I thought I had every version/variant until I saw this. Congrats on having a super rare piece, whatever the background.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

Wow, the card artwork is certainly different hues, in addition to the missing CA logo, etc. I can't recall if I adjusted the artwork colors, or it's just the difference between printers. But I do recall waiting for the Castaway logo, since I didn't know if they wanted to use the Ideal-like one we used on the Captain Action line, or a more traditional logo.

Again, I will wait for David (or Jason) to weigh in with the definitive answer, but my educated guess is you have a complete early mock-up/prototype figure there.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• TRDouble
              Permanent Member
              • Jul 10, 2012

Wow! That's very cool! Congrats!

Comment

• kit walker
                • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                I'll defer to the Cast-A-Way guys. I thought I had every version/variant until I saw this. Congrats on having a super rare piece, whatever the background.
                Thanks!

When I acquired Redbeard recently, I thought that I had all Phantom/Enemies figures and variants too... so this one is a nice surprise.

Comment

• kit walker
                  • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by TRDouble
                  Wow! That's very cool! Congrats!
                  Thank you very much!

Comment

• kit walker
                    • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                    Wow, the card artwork is certainly different hues, in addition to the missing CA logo, etc. I can't recall if I adjusted the artwork colors, or it's just the difference between printers. But I do recall waiting for the Castaway logo, since I didn't know if they wanted to use the Ideal-like one we used on the Captain Action line, or a more traditional logo.

Again, I will wait for David (or Jason) to weigh in with the definitive answer, but my educated guess is you have a complete early mock-up/prototype figure there.

Chris
                    Cool... thanks Chris to share with us your memories regarding your work. You made a great job and personally, the card for the Dailies is a real beauty!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^Thank you! That work is honestly the highlight of my career. I drew the Phantom on official merchandise. Pretty damn cool.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• David Lee
                        The Fix-it-up Chappie
                        • Jun 10, 2002

Hey Sorry to be late to the party... That is in fact the prototype figure used for production photos and patterns... that's just about as rare as it gets... one of one for sure.

Confgrats!

Dave
                        Last edited by David Lee; Jun 11, '18, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• Makernaut
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by David Lee
                          Hey Sorry to be late to the party... That is in fact the prototype fugue used for production photos and patterns... that's just about as rare as it gets... one of one for sure.

Confgrats!

Dave
                          Doesn't get any more "confirmed" than that!

Congrats, kit walker!

Comment

• kit walker
                            • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by David Lee
                            Hey Sorry to be late to the party... That is in fact the prototype fugue used for production photos and patterns... that's just about as rare as it gets... one of one for sure.

Confgrats!

Dave
                            WOW! Thanks David!

Really an unexpected find... I bought the figure just because the trenchcoat was different, I had no idea what the figure looked like under that trenchcoat so I took a chance! A lucky purchase, no doubt about it

Comment

• kit walker
                              • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by Makernaut
                              Doesn't get any more "confirmed" than that!

Congrats, kit walker!
                              Thanks Makernaut!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎