Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Phantom figure... first version???

  1. #1

    Phantom figure... first version???

    Hey guys!

    I'm looking for some answers regarding a Phantom figure that I acquired recently. I've sent a message to Cast-A-Way Toys via their Facebook page but unfortunately, they didn't get back to me... so if some of you can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

    So, the figure that I found is dressed with the "Mr. Walker incognito disguise kit" and the reason why I bought it, it's because the trenchcoat is different than the "released" version. When I first saw it, I thought that someone had just changed the trenchcoat but there's a picture of that same version on Cast-A-Way's Facebook page. As you can see, the color is different, the trenchcoat is also thicker and there's no belt buckle... so I'm wondering if this version was offered to those who ordered the disguise kit or if some of you have the same?



    I also had a nice surprise when I looked at the figure under that trenchcoat... the Phantom figure is also different than all the ones I have!!! Different head (which I find superior to the released version), different tissue used for the costume and also the color is darker, different striped trunk, different rings (I mean, they are not only silver like the others) and also a different knife in the boot! I know this version was used for promo photos when Cast-A-Way were advertising the figures at the beginning (see last photo) but again, I'm wondering if this version has been officially released (if yes, how many were made?) or if it was just a kind of prototype...



    I sincerely hope to get answers to my questions... so curious to know more about it.
    Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by kit walker; May 30, '18 at 3:42 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 7, 2004
    Location
    Cynthiana, KY...of Earth 2!
    Posts
    28,691
    Images
    103
    I could be mistaken, so don't take this for gospel, but having art directed and designed the ad, and being present when these photos were taken by my friend Bobby, I think what you have may be the hand-painted prototype seen in those photos, or at least an exact duplicate of it.

    As far as I know, this version was not mass produced.

    But I will wait for David to weigh in officially.

    Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Earth 2 Chris View Post
    I could be mistaken, so don't take this for gospel, but having art directed and designed the ad, and being present when these photos were taken by my friend Bobby, I think what you have may be the hand-painted prototype seen in those photos, or at least an exact duplicate of it.

    As far as I know, this version was not mass produced.

    But I will wait for David to weigh in officially.

    Chris
    Thanks Chris! Well, let's see what David think about it.

    The figure came also with the clamshell and the inner card is a bit different; no "8 inch action figure..." under "The Phantom" and no Cast-A-Way logo at the bottom left of the card. Colors are also a bit different... can you tell me more about it?


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 22, 2015
    Posts
    929
    Images
    4
    That's an interesting piece and as a Castaway Toys fan, I'm looking forward to reading what the story is on it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 14, 2003
    Location
    B
    Posts
    24,747
    Images
    478
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'll defer to the Cast-A-Way guys. I thought I had every version/variant until I saw this. Congrats on having a super rare piece, whatever the background.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 7, 2004
    Location
    Cynthiana, KY...of Earth 2!
    Posts
    28,691
    Images
    103
    Wow, the card artwork is certainly different hues, in addition to the missing CA logo, etc. I can't recall if I adjusted the artwork colors, or it's just the difference between printers. But I do recall waiting for the Castaway logo, since I didn't know if they wanted to use the Ideal-like one we used on the Captain Action line, or a more traditional logo.

    Again, I will wait for David (or Jason) to weigh in with the definitive answer, but my educated guess is you have a complete early mock-up/prototype figure there.

    Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 10, 2012
    Location
    Western New York
    Posts
    1,575
    Wow! That's very cool! Congrats!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by EMCE Hammer View Post
    I'll defer to the Cast-A-Way guys. I thought I had every version/variant until I saw this. Congrats on having a super rare piece, whatever the background.
    Thanks!

    When I acquired Redbeard recently, I thought that I had all Phantom/Enemies figures and variants too... so this one is a nice surprise.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TRDouble View Post
    Wow! That's very cool! Congrats!
    Thank you very much!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Earth 2 Chris View Post
    Wow, the card artwork is certainly different hues, in addition to the missing CA logo, etc. I can't recall if I adjusted the artwork colors, or it's just the difference between printers. But I do recall waiting for the Castaway logo, since I didn't know if they wanted to use the Ideal-like one we used on the Captain Action line, or a more traditional logo.

    Again, I will wait for David (or Jason) to weigh in with the definitive answer, but my educated guess is you have a complete early mock-up/prototype figure there.

    Chris
    Cool... thanks Chris to share with us your memories regarding your work. You made a great job and personally, the card for the Dailies is a real beauty!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •