X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

Solo - Spoilers thread

so the title says it.......you have been forewarned. this thread is to talk about the movie, spoilers and all

Overall I liked the movie but thought it was a bit slow moving.

I was rather shocked to see Maul show up. Does not appear to be the Maul as he has been portrayed in the cartoons with robotic legs. what do you all think it means? I was glad to see they did get Ray park back for it though.

Nice mention of Bossk. would have been so cool to have him in the movie with modern effects. Maybe he will show in the Boba Fett movie they have planned
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
    I was rather shocked to see Maul show up. Does not appear to be the Maul as he has been portrayed in the cartoons with robotic legs. what do you all think it means? I was glad to see they did get Ray park back for it though.

Yeah, it was definitely cool to see Maul again.
    The robotic legs and lightsaber we saw him with in Solo are very reminiscent of the ones he had in the Rebels animated series.
    And Maul being in command of the Crimson Dawn syndicate echoes him starting the criminal organization The Shadow Collective in The Clone Wars series.
    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

did he have robotic legs in Solo though? it did not look like it to me. I wish they would have given more details on Maul and on the Hans girlfriends role in the organization.

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

SPOILERS....

Ok, I was not planning on seeing it at the theater...as I’m not feeling that actor as Solo.

But now that Maul is back...I might go...as Ray Park and Ewan McGregor were the only two actors/characters I gave a damn about in the prequels...

sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
          HULK SMASH!
          • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
          did he have robotic legs in Solo though? it did not look like it to me. I wish they would have given more details on Maul and on the Hans girlfriends role in the organization.
          Yeah, he definitely had the robotic legs. They were clearly visible in that hologram image. You could even faintly hear the gears and servos whirring when he stood up.
          Last edited by Bruce Banner; May 27, '18, 6:09 PM.
          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

The thing though...wasn’t Maul cut in half? Not at the legs, but at the waist? Does he have an articifial tummy or something?

sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Yes, he definitely has robotic legs. Hector, he's only in it at the end for a cameo. This is consistent with the Rebels timeline when his robotic legs were more refined. It is Ray Park, voiced by Sam Witwer from Clone Wars/Rebels. At first it's a what the heck moment, but then it really is a smart play to bring back a fan favorite villain which would easily tie into both the Boba Fett and Obi-Wan films. Does it "make the universe smaller"? Maybe. But it would be cool to have story threads connecting the spinoff films to give some plot cohesiveness.

What shocked me was, besides Maul, the number of other things that tied this film to the Prequels, specifically the Phantom Menace. The mention of Aurra Sing's death, and Warwick Davis reprising his role as Weazel from the Podrace. Also, Dryden Vos may be from the same family as Prequel era Jedi Quinlan Vos.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

Oh, and one other connection... I at first dismissed this film as fairly "low stakes" story-wise, but then it hit me... by letting Enfys Nest and the Marauders take the fuel (money), Han Solo helped to fund the rebellion itself. One of the Marauders is Edrio "Two Tubes" from Rogue One, who was one of Saw Gerrera's soldiers. There is much more beneath the surface of what a lot of critics are easily dismissing as a "heist" film.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

I did not even pick up that Warwick Davis was [playing the same role as he did in Phantom Menace. that is way cool. I wish they had given him more lines

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

i have to go see it again so i can pick up on some of the more subtle nuances

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                      HULK SMASH!
                      • Apr 3, 2010

Yeah, lots of cool nods to the other films.
                      Like the disguise that Beckett uses during the spice mine infiltration is the same one Lando uses in ROTJ to infiltrate Jabba's palace.
                      And Moroff from Rogue One is one of the aliens liberated from the mine (or it's at least another of the same species).
                      PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎