Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • p3ss3ssod
    • Sep 4, 2015

My Custom KISS Mego Odyssey

I forgot that I wanted to post this in here, so sorry for not doing this earlier. Last year I finally collected the classic Mego KISS line and then went about getting their instruments correct.
    I found a few sellers with the right scale guitars, which is where Paul's Flying V came from and only required adding a more accurate strap.

Ace's was a Pick Ups miniature guitar that I repainted and added the extra details.

Gene's bass was a neck and strings from an axe bass model, I then sculpted the body to be his Spector model from this period.

The last thing was to make Peter's drum kit. This became a real labour of love, firstly finding out the correct pieces and then working out how to fabricate them. I found some excellent resources online and then set about making it up piece by piece. I'd ordered a few other miniature drum kits off eBay to use the metal stands for the drums I made by hand. I used any tubing I could come across that was the right size then went about sculpting/tooling/moulding all the metal pieces for the clamps. I made every piece as accurate as possible, which really tested my resourcefulness. The cymbals were a bit problem but I eventually found different hand and finger cymbals made up the numbers, and it's a nice bonus they're made of metal and 'ting' nicely if you hit them. As I've been an ardent boombox collector for many years I had a lot of spare antennas I had no particular use for that then got repurposed into the cymbal (and drum) stands. I fashioned some Lego pieces into mounts to finish them off and found the perfect shaped fishing sinkers to use as counterweights. The gong is a real miniature gong I sourced online and then made the frame from plastick tubing. It was a good 3-4 months work from go to whoah and I'm into it more than a couple of hundred dollars for all the pieces I bought for it but I'm really pleased with the end result, especially with the rest of the band.

I did a photoshoot for them all together that really tied it all together.

It gave me all my KISS toy wishes at once from when I was a kid who had only a Paul Stanley doll.

Definitely one of my most satisfying collecting/customising experiences I've had.

Last edited by p3ss3ssod; May 27, '18, 10:25 AM.
  • boss
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 18, 2003

That’s really cool. Nice work!
    Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• noelani72
      27inaleon
      • Jun 25, 2002

great display!

Comment

• cjefferys
        Duke of Gloat
        • Apr 23, 2006

Great work man, everything looks awesome! In case you didn't know, Pick Ups did make an actual Ace guitar replica (sunburst Les Paul with lightning bolts on the fretboard and everything), might have saved you a bit of work. I really wish they had made guitars for Paul and Gene as well.

Comment

• Confessional
          Maker & Whatnot
          • Aug 8, 2012

Love seeing Megos with accurate instruments… your drum kit is fantastic!

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
            learning all the time
            • Sep 15, 2010

AWESOME!!!!!
            one of the coolest things I've ever seen

I love the details in the drum hardware, down to the tuning lugs!
            and I love me some china cymbals too!

Comment

• sprytel
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 26, 2009

That drum kit is off the charts awesome. When I first saw the pic I thought "oh wow, somebody actually sells a miniature drum kit in Mego scale!" because I was sure that couldn't be a custom... and was blown away when I ready about how you meticulously created it. Really great work.

Comment

• p3ss3ssod
                • Sep 4, 2015

Originally posted by cjefferys
                Great work man, everything looks awesome! In case you didn't know, Pick Ups did make an actual Ace guitar replica (sunburst Les Paul with lightning bolts on the fretboard and everything), might have saved you a bit of work. I really wish they had made guitars for Paul and Gene as well.
                Ohh absolutely, the prices though were a bit too much for me. I'm in Australia and it was getting really hard to get one here for under $80. $50 was my ceiling (with postage) and I found this Les Paul in a lot with another guitar for super cheap. Haha, I'm a masochist for learning how to paint new finishes too, so doing the woodgrain and the clear colours over the top became a nice challenge indeed.

I forgot to mention in my original post that I came up with a really good recipe for making the the sleeves/boot tops for the figures too. They come up very accurate to the originals (only Gene's are orginal in my display. I can post the how to if people are interested, I'm never sure if there are repro parts available these days or not.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! Much appreciated!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

Great work--that's an impressive labor of love.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• cjefferys
                    Duke of Gloat
                    • Apr 23, 2006

Originally posted by p3ss3ssod
                    Ohh absolutely, the prices though were a bit too much for me. I'm in Australia and it was getting really hard to get one here for under $80. $50 was my ceiling (with postage) and I found this Les Paul in a lot with another guitar for super cheap. Haha, I'm a masochist for learning how to paint new finishes too, so doing the woodgrain and the clear colours over the top became a nice challenge indeed.
                    Oh good point, I never even thought of checking how much those guitars go for these days, I bought my Ace Pick Ups guitar nearly 20 years ago at retail for around ten dollars, I guess they are worth a lot more now. I now totally see why you did what you did, great job on the paint!

Comment

• megowgsh
                      Customego HoF Curator
                      • Nov 19, 2003

Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• newlyknighted
                        Persistent Member
                        • Feb 21, 2010

Wow!! Great job!
                        I post in thy general direction!

Comment

• TrekStar
                          Trek or Treat
                          • Jan 20, 2011

Those look awesome, thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Remco Monster
                            GLOWS in the Dark!
                            • May 3, 2006

So great! Love it, especially the drum set!

Comment

• Megospidey
                              Museum Webslinger
                              • Jul 26, 2006

Originally posted by boss
                              That’s really cool. Nice work!
                              I had a feeling you would be the first to comment on this! AWESOME display and set-up - I'm not a KISS fan, but I know a great custom piece when I see it. Really nice.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎