X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
    i like the prequels as well, for what they are. all 3 have good moments. I am even in the minority in that I like Phantom Menace the best. maybe it is just because it was the first new movie in 16 years and no matter what you think of the movie, that was really something special
    I love the prequels...always have. No matter what...they FELT like Star Wars. And that is in no small part to Lucas' involvement. These new films just aren't doing it for me...especially on repeated viewings. They just feel...off. Kind of like when another composer leads a different orchestra playing John Williams music. It just doesn't sound right. It's close, but it's just not the same.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

I like the new movies. I don't feel they are off at all. I do find Finn and Po kind of annoying though. Last Jedi, while it may not have been everyone's cup of tea, of what we all wanted to see, is a solid movie and moves the story forward for the next generation. let's face it, these movies have always been generational

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

I only like two things about the prequels, Obi Wan and Darth Maul.

Their fight (with Qui Gon)...is my favorite lightsaber duel. They moved so fast...makes all the Darth Vader’s ones look like slow-motion.

Having said that...the prequels don’t crack my top sci-fi/fantasy 100 list. It’s not hate, it’s indifference. I just don’t care for them.

But hey, I’m not hating on people who likes them. I’m all about Alien. Many here hated Alien Convenant, but I dug it. I eat all that stuff up. Prometheus also got some hate, but I think it’s an awesome movie. Alien Resurrection is good too. The only Alien movie I have a little problem with is Alien 3, but not because it sucks, as I think it’s the second scariest Alien flick after the original. No, it’s because it kills off both Hicks and Newt in the very beginning...doing a disservice to Aliens, making the rescue of Newt by Ripley from the Alien Queen, useless. All that trouble for nothing? I see Alien 3 as an alternate reality, a different universe...it doesn’t exist in the world of Alien and Aliens. As a stand alone film...Alien 3 is pretty good.
        sigpic

Comment

• YoungOnce
          Career Member
          • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
          I like the new movies. I don't feel they are off at all. I do find Finn and Po kind of annoying though. Last Jedi, while it may not have been everyone's cup of tea, of what we all wanted to see, is a solid movie and moves the story forward for the next generation. let's face it, these movies have always been generational
          Yeah, I've slowly realized that probably nothing is going to blow me away again like Star Wars did when I was twelve years old. That includes new Star Wars movies. I really liked The Force Awakens though. It pulled a few of those nostalgia strings for me, so that's something. I just didn't get any of that though with The Last Jedi. That said, some twelve year old watching it may have felt like I did back in the day and that's cool.

The last time something just blew me away was the first couple of seasons of Lost... I was mesmerized. But even that fizzled out by the end.

Comment

• jwyblejr
            galactic yo-yo
            • Apr 6, 2006

Disney is saying it's #1 Worldwide. Is that true or are they trying to cover their butts?

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

it probably is number 1 right now as there was no real competition coming out

Comment

• Madcap70
                • Dec 4, 2017

Originally posted by enyawd72
                I love the prequels...always have. No matter what...they FELT like Star Wars. And that is in no small part to Lucas' involvement. These new films just aren't doing it for me...especially on repeated viewings. They just feel...off. Kind of like when another composer leads a different orchestra playing John Williams music. It just doesn't sound right. It's close, but it's just not the same.
                Yes they did feel like Star Wars these other films (Especially the sequel's) really do not...it's fact the closet film that feels like Star Wars out of all the Disney movies is The Force Awakens the others......More like decent sci-fi movies instead of Star Wars films...

Comment

• jacoblb
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 7, 2009

Saw it Sunday on opening weekend in the early morning and liked it fine, but wasn't ga-ga for it. Notable how the attendance for the screening I watched was significantly less compared to, say, Avengers 3 or Black Panther.

I thought the movie was serviceable, but like Rogue One I doubt I will ever want to re-watch. Not ideal casting in my opinion and had this been the same actor from Solo or Shia Leb/Chris Pratt as Indiana Jones reboot I wouldn't care to watch it at all. While I'm a Bond fan of many actors I just have no desire to watch films carrying the torch without Harrison Ford. I bet Connery fans felt the same in regards to 007 back in the day. I would have been down for a Chewie and Ford pre-Force Awakens movie.

I think Savage Dragon creator Erik Larsen wrote a nice bit about the movie on his Facebook and would refer folks to his public posting for anyone interested in why he didn't care for the casting.

spoiler........

I thought the Marauder reveal was handled poorly. Why should we care? Beyond that, I don't have too many complaints. At least with this one after the movie I didn't feel ripped off like I was with Howard's Willow (a film my wife loves.)
                  Last edited by jacoblb; Jun 2, '18, 4:46 PM.

Comment

• Captain
                    Fighting the good fight!
                    • Jun 17, 2001

I finally had a day off, so I saw it today. I liked it a lot! It had that Space Western vibe that Star Wars lost long long ago.
                    "Crayons taste like purple!"

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

77% drop on Solo's 2nd weekend...that is not typical for a Star Wars movie!

Solo: A Star Wars Story continues to fly low at the box office with its sophomore weekend intake placing the franchise's future in jeopardy.
                      sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

that's areal shame, the movie deserves better. this will likely affect future movies that get made

Comment

• warlock664
                          Persistent Member
                          • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by boss
                          I don’t know if this was just our theater, but it looked like it was shot through a dirty cloth filter.
                          This.
                          It was very distracting. I felt like I was watching a badly pirated movie on DVD. Not sharp at all.

Comment

• phil
                            Persistent Member
                            • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by The Bat
                            77% drop on Solo's 2nd weekend...that is not typical for a Star Wars movie!

https://www.cbr.com/solo-second-week-poor-box-office/
                            I'm sure someone at Disney is taking a close look at the numbers. I am also wondering about the possible effect on merchandising. The stores in my area don't seem motivated to stock the Solo toys before or after the movies release.

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                              valar morghulis
                              • Mar 8, 2005

Originally posted by boss
                              I don’t know if this was just our theater, but it looked like it was shot through a dirty cloth filter.
                              This was a big complaint from the RLM guys too..

Comment

• Hedji
                                Citizen of Gotham
                                • Nov 17, 2012

Man, people are missing out on a fun movie because of internet hate. This film has some of the coolest robots in all of Star Wars. Dirty, dingy, grubby 'bots like you'd see the Jawas selling. It has characters you feel for and care about, with excellent performances all around. It has some absolutely breathtaking action setpieces, one very early in the film. It has a darned good score, and it just feels like a Lucasfilm production, probably because Ron Howard is Lucasfilm Royalty.

This film is not being given a fair shake, in my opinion. A lot of people really enjoyed it, and to those that are avoiding it, loosen up and just have fun. I feel so lucky to be alive when we are getting so many cool flicks.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎