Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Falstaff13
    Persistent Member
    • May 28, 2008

I got to see Solo last night finally (went in a group of four, and we were 2/3 of the audience), and I did like it. (Note: I liked Rogue One and liked it better than The Last Jedi, but haven't hated any of them.) I agree the weight of going against Harrison Ford works against Ehrenreich, and my main problem was times he had to yell, as the timbre of his voice was just too high and didn't "feel" like Han, but he has some charm, and I'm not opposed to him in the role. It was a solid caper adventure, and given that the story amounted to unnecessary (and faced the prequel limitations of being boxed into certain things), I thought it was fine.
    Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
    Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Capt_Kirk
      Career Member
      • Nov 22, 2011

We saw it last weekend and we both liked it a lot. My wife was afraid that it was gonna suck but Both ended up liking it a lot
      "May fortune favor the foolish"

Comment

• Klosterheim
        Persistent Member
        • Mar 23, 2013

I saw Solo: A Star Wars Story!

I liked the movie.

It is strange to only have the Lucasfilm Logo and it started right away after a theater commercial, no Disney company (might just be the theater,though), and these will always be weird without Fox.

Spoilers-

I only didn't like the close-up sparks when hot-wiring a speeder, it was not needed, I like to focus and see everything on the screen, and sparks filling the whole screen distract me.

That and like RLM said the lighting was dim in parts.

I really enjoyed characters like the four-arm guy who they made perfectly.

The movie was really good, everything else was fine, and it didn't really contradict anything from The Original Trilogy.

This film reminds me of those early book covers for the thin Han, Chewy and Lando novels. When I see Han Solo and Chewbacca in the movie, I think of that cover art.

And, I love how The Millennium Falcon looks like in the time period.

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

I believe the HUGE blueish colored Crystal Skull in Dryden's office was inspired by the one on the cover of Brian Daley's Han Solo and the lost legacy. And once you find another Indiana Jones artifact in there, you can't take your eyes off of it.

Comment

• Klosterheim
            Persistent Member
            • Mar 23, 2013

Oh! That's super cool! I will have to watch the movie again sometime!

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

cool. I missed that as well. well, I will definitely be buying it on bluray when it comes out

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

It's funny because the way the artifacts are arranged, the enormous blue skull is a diversion from the more famous movie prop that is resting in front of it.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                    Moderation Engineer
                    • Aug 14, 2003

Took the family to see it today. I have no idea what everyone's problem is with the movie. I thought it was solid and we all enjoyed it. To me it's a victim of the backlash to Last Jedi and would have been much better received if it had come out first.

Comment

• The Bat
                      Batman Fanatic
                      • Jul 14, 2002

It's strange...if we go by all the positive reviews on this site alone...Solo should be doing a lot better. But to date...the total Worldwide is:$369,874,684.

For a Star Wars film...that officially qualifies as a Bomb.
                      sigpic

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                        Often invisible
                        • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                        To me it's a victim of the backlash to Last Jedi and would have been much better received if it had come out first.
                        I think that's the reason it's considered a bomb. The people who dislike the direction of Last Jedi actively boycotted the film. I was hoping they might be swayed by word of mouth, but obviously not.

What I hope happens next is Disney sees the money bags flying out of the window and works overtime to make Episode 9 well thought out, well written, and satisfying to the majority of the original trilogy fans. That's what I hope for anyway, but they're bringing J.J. back and I'm not a big fan of his so... better luck next time?
                        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• The Bat
                          Batman Fanatic
                          • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                          What I hope happens next is Disney sees the money bags flying out of the window and works overtime to make Episode 9 well thought out, well written, and satisfying to the majority of the original trilogy fans. That's what I hope for anyway, but they're bringing J.J. back and I'm not a big fan of his so... better luck next time?

I hope that as well! That Disney wakes up and makes certain Episode 9 is a decent entry in the Sar Wars saga. Sadly though, I think the damage(from TLJ)is already done. Luke Skywalker is dead...his character wasted in the last movie. I like J.J.,...but I don't think even he can save this mess!
                          sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

It's not the band I hate, it's the fans.
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Klosterheim
                              Persistent Member
                              • Mar 23, 2013

Originally posted by Hedji
                              Amazing! Thanks!

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                                Often invisible
                                • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by The Bat
                                I hope that as well! That Disney wakes up and makes certain Episode 9 is a decent entry in the Sar Wars saga. Sadly though, I think the damage(from TLJ)is already done. Luke Skywalker is dead...his character wasted in the last movie. I like J.J.,...but I don't think even he can save this mess!
                                Now that they lost Carrie, I think they should have Luke back in spirit form. Perhaps he haunts Kylo or something. He's basically been reborn so he can act more like the confident Luke from ROTJ. I know Hammil says he's done, but a good script and a bag of cash might change his mind! HAHA!
                                Last edited by CrimsonGhost; Jul 4, '18, 10:14 PM.
                                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎