Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Very, very...very few movies attract me to go to the movie theater (and spend $20) nowadays...and Solo is definitely not one of them.

I’ll rent it through Redbox, no problem. I’ll probably enjoy it a lot. I also didn’t go to see Black Panther at the theater, but I rented it, and it was good. I missed Deadpool 2 as well, will catch it on Redbox as well.

Didn’t go see Last Jedi at the theater either, but it was a nice rental.

The only big movie I’ve seen so far this year at the theater was Infinity War, and it was awesome.

I just got tired of paying a ton for a movie and the highway robbery that is popcorn and flat sodas.

...and movies are now turning up on Blu-ray faster than ever before...I have the patience now.

Too many other things to do as well, not only a zillion cable channels, but Netflix, internet, barbecuing season, trail walking, building models, airbrushing, taking care of mom...so many things trump going to the movie theater nowadays...
    sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

I don't go to the movies often either. but Star Wars always is a theater experience. I have never not seen a SW movie in theaters. most several times, although admittedly I only saw Solo once in theaters

Comment

• YoungOnce
        Career Member
        • Aug 29, 2007

We (wife and daughter) went yesterday to see Jurrasic movie. Some kid sitting behind my wife was kicking her seat the whole movie. I would turn around every now and then to get the mom's attention to make him stop. It would work for about five minutes and he was doing it again. But it's not just kids. An old fella sitting in front of us was talking all the way through the movie and clearing his throat loudly. Other folks young and old checking texts...

Factor in the prices and it's becoming the less appealing option to enjoy a movie.

Comment

• Brue
          User without title
          • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by The Bat
          I guess I should have been more specific. I was referring to the number of great parts Harrison Ford has had(mostly when I was younger...now his career is winding down now.)from Han Solo to Indy Jones to Jack Ryan. In the movie industry...he will be remember well.
          you are correct sir

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by YoungOnce
            We (wife and daughter) went yesterday to see Jurrasic movie. Some kid sitting behind my wife was kicking her seat the whole movie. I would turn around every now and then to get the mom's attention to make him stop. It would work for about five minutes and he was doing it again. But it's not just kids. An old fella sitting in front of us was talking all the way through the movie and clearing his throat loudly. Other folks young and old checking texts...

Factor in the prices and it's becoming the less appealing option to enjoy a movie.
            Exactly.

People who talk, people who check their phones, people who eat like pigs, people with annoying chips/candy bags, sick people coughing throughout the movie, people who smell like weed, too much perfume...or plain stink...some tall dude with an Afro sitting right in front of you...and last but not least, crying infants, argh.

I lost count how many times I’ve gotten up and left...demanding my money back (and getting it).

Nothing like watching a movie on my big screen high definition TV with surround sound in the comfort of my own home...eating homemade popcorn with REAL butter or pizza, drinking either ice cold beer of non-soda fountain soda (depending on the mood)...all in peace, with no annoying strangers, and the ability to pause at any time for a bathroom break.

Home movie watching >>>>>>>> Movie theater...

sigpic

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
              Often invisible
              • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Hector
              Exactly.

People who talk, people who check their phones, people who eat like pigs, people with annoying chips/candy bags, sick people coughing throughout the movie, people who smell like weed, too much perfume...or plain stink...some tall dude with an Afro sitting right in front of you...and last but not least, crying infants, argh.

I lost count how many times I’ve gotten up and left...demanding my money back (and getting it).

Nothing like watching a movie on my big screen high definition TV with surround sound in the comfort of my own home...eating homemade popcorn with REAL butter or pizza, drinking either ice cold beer of non-soda fountain soda (depending on the mood)...all in peace, with no annoying strangers, and the ability to pause at any time for a bathroom break.

Home movie watching >>>>>>>> Movie theater...

Well, for what it's worth, there might only be a couple of other people in the theatre if you went to see Solo!
              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• The Bat
                Batman Fanatic
                • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                I don't go to the movies often either. but Star Wars always is a theater experience. I have never not seen a SW movie in theaters.

It use to be that way for me as well with Star Wars....right up until TLJ & Solo. I remember being a kid and hitch hiking 20 miles to the Maine Mall Cinema to see "The Empire Strikes Back." And it was well worth it!!
                sigpic

Comment

• alex
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jun 15, 2009

If these movies hadnt had the 30 year time gap, with people reading comics and imagining characters in the mean time, we would all be loving these. Saw Solo a couple of weeks ago, and thought it was fun, the only annoying character was the "black" swinginging its arse robot, that was completely out of place in this film. You Guys buy popcorn/drinks at the movies ?, Ive walked in with a pizza box, and backpack full of liquids No one ever checks......

Comment

• Makernaut
                    Persistent Member
                    • Jul 22, 2015

Very, very...very few movies attract me to go to the movie theater (and spend $20) nowadays...and Solo is definitely not one of them.
                    I have hit that phase, too. Although I did go see "Solo" in the theater. However, I didn't see "Black Panther", the latest "Avengers", or "Deadpool 2". Wasn't really any conscious decision to "not go", just didn't find the motivation and a lot of that is due to "theater exhaustion". Never thought I'd wind up here because through the 90s, I might go a couple of times a week and that tapered off to a couple of times a month and has now become a few times a year. I have seen exactly TWO movies in the theater this calendar year.

Comment

• drquest
                      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                      • Apr 17, 2012

I've seen Black Panther, A Quiet Place, Ready Player One, Avengers 2, Deadpool 2, Solo, Incredibles 2, and Jurassic World 2 all recently in the theaters and there might be a couple more. Honestly I really like to go and the theaters are nice and cool, and it's an escape for 2+ hours. I also like watching movies at home, but I'm usually not watching it as closely, the phone is ringing, etc...

If you go at a matinee time the costs are much lower, the crowds are less and yes we are usually bringing in our own drinks and snacks.
                      Danny(Drquest)
                      Captain Action HQ
                      Retro shirts and stuff
                      More retro shirts
                      Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

I forgot...prior to Infinity Wars...I did go to see Dunkirk...and it was awesome on IMAX...that movie was meant to be seen on a HUGE screen with extra LOUD sound...
                        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                          Well, for what it's worth, there might only be a couple of other people in the theatre if you went to see Solo!
                          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by alex
                            If these movies hadnt had the 30 year time gap, with people reading comics and imagining characters in the mean time, we would all be loving these. Saw Solo a couple of weeks ago, and thought it was fun, the only annoying character was the "black" swinginging its arse robot, that was completely out of place in this film. You Guys buy popcorn/drinks at the movies ?, Ive walked in with a pizza box, and backpack full of liquids No one ever checks......
                            Sometimes I do sneak in my own food/drinks, even my own homemade popcorn...but many times I go to the movies not from my home...so I go to the movie theater empty handed...

sigpic

Comment

• drquest
                              ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                              • Apr 17, 2012

I forgot...prior to Infinity Wars...I did go to see Dunkirk...and it was awesome on IMAX...that movie was meant to be seen on a HUGE screen with extra LOUD sound...
                              I saw that one too in IMAX. Pretty cool movie!
                              Danny(Drquest)
                              Captain Action HQ
                              Retro shirts and stuff
                              More retro shirts
                              Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

Working...