X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

Solo A Star Wars Story - Movie Reaction

Just got back from seeing Solo. Saw it in 2D with my kids and some of their friends.

I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed most all of the characters and Chewbacca was probably my favorite.

I liked it much more than The Last Jedi....
    Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

I loved it! Not as much as I loved The Last Jedi, but it's a really great time in the Star Wars universe. So it turns out, you can have someone other than Ford play the role (something we've known since the Radio Drama with Perry King). For me, the stakes aren't as high as the enumerated Saga films, and guess what... it's a Prequel, and therefore has all the limitations that come along with that. But just buckle in and have fun. I think it'll have great replay value. My opinion counts for nothing, and lots will disagree, but this is a much more satisfying spinoff than Rogue One.

And yes, Chewbacca is absolutely wonderful. But then, we already knew that. In fact, we already knew most of what you'll see here. It's less of a revelation and more of a celebration of these characters.

Oddly, I got a strong Russ Manning newspaper strip vibe from the whole thing.

And John Williams' theme is swashbuckling and propulsive.

Comment

• clemso
      Talkative Member
      • Aug 8, 2001

Lando is definitely the coolest dude in the Galaxy.

Comment

• Makernaut
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 22, 2015

I have been so relieved to read that this movie is enjoyable and fun to watch. I'm sure there are reviews out there from people that don't like the movie but so far I haven't seen any indication of it being the total crapfest that many people said it would be. Given how troubled the production of this movie was it seems a minor miracle that it is mostly well-received.

Comment

• phil
          Persistent Member
          • May 11, 2007

I had low expectations but thought it was ok. I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

i will go see it this weekend. I am really looking forward to it. Han Solo is one of the coolest characters ever created

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

My family and I saw it yesterday, and it blew past all of our expectations, which varied from semi-excited for it, to out right dubious. We all really enjoyed it, and although I am one of those who liked The Last Jedi, this is a much better time at the movies, no doubt about it. Great cast, story and direction. Lots of great Easter eggs, and some true WOW moments as well.

It's a fun Star Wars movie. What's not to like?

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• boss
                Talkative Member
                • Jun 18, 2003

I thought it was just ok. It felt more like something that should have been on Netflix. I don’t know if this was just our theater, but it looked like it was shot through a dirty cloth filter.
                Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

^I didn't get that feeling at all, so it may have been your theater. And the screen I saw it on is by no means the best either.

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

I enjoyed it.
                    Lots of neat references to the other movies and characters.
                    As a lifelong SW fan I had a few issues with various aspects of the film, but overall it was a lot of fun.
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Hedji
                      Citizen of Gotham
                      • Nov 17, 2012

The film is underperforming, and that makes me a little sad. As Chris, said, what's not to like? This is not groundbreaking cinema, but it is Star Wars. These are the films I'd dreamed we'd get when I was a kid.

It just bums me out that the world, for whatever reason, is kinda falling out of love with Star Wars. :(

Comment

• jwyblejr
                        galactic yo-yo
                        • Apr 6, 2006

^Because most fans think Disney is out to ruin Star Wars. Which is stupid when you think about it. What would be the point? You sink billions of dollars into this franchise to destroy it? Yeah that makes sense.

Comment

• Goblin19
                          Talkative Member
                          • May 2, 2002

This was set up to do worse based on fans' preconceived notions and the reaction to Last Jedi. People were ready to hate on it. I thought it was a fun movie, not anything spectacular, but it accomplished what it set out to do, which is to just make s fun movie, building on a beloved character. I also like it a little better than Last Jedi.

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Hedji
                            It just bums me out that the world, for whatever reason, is kinda falling out of love with Star Wars. :(
                            I don't think it's that.

I think the problem is there's been too many movies so close together plus all the mountains of merchandise. It's oversaturation. People are a just a little bored right now.
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• enyawd72
                              Maker of Monsters!
                              • Oct 1, 2009

I haven't seen it and I'm not going to. Never thought I'd say that about a Star Wars film EVER. I have a huge problem with Kathleen Kennedy using the Star Wars films as a platform to push her social and political agendas. I'm not having it.

A feminist droid pushing droid rights? A pansexual Lando Calrissian? The Force is female? Nope. Not having it.

As far as I'm concerned Star Wars begins and ends with Episodes 1-6

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎