X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Bat
    Batman Fanatic
    • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by sprytel
    I also feel that Alden Ehrenreich did a great job. While he was not doing an "impression", there were subtle things in the movie (I remember the way he pointed being one, a motion he did with his blaster, etc.) where he totally captured Ford's portrayal of the character in a single gesture. I didn't agree with all the choices of the movie, but I really liked it and I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to accept him as a young Han Solo.

I don't know man, it just seems to me that if Alden Ehrenreich was such a great Han Solo...then the box office numbers would look better than this:

Harrison Ford on the other hand has ALWAYS been a box off draw! Why? PERSONALITY Baby!!
    sigpic

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
      Often invisible
      • Jul 18, 2002

It really bums me out how many people say they liked Rogue One. If Disney decides that Rogue One is the way to go with the rest of their movies, I'm completely out.
      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
        I'm completely out.

That's how The Last Jedi made me feel...I sympathize.
        sigpic

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
          Often invisible
          • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by The Bat
          That's how The Last Jedi made me feel...I sympathize.
          I'll never try and convince anyone that Last Jedi is good. I liked parts of it, but yeah, the story is a go-nowhere mess.

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Rogue One is my favorite new Star Wars movie. Darth Vader at the end was pure gold...trumping anything since Empire.
            sigpic

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
              Often invisible
              • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Hector
              Rogue One is my favorite new Star Wars movie. Darth Vader at the end was pure gold...trumping anything since Empire.
              I feel like Darth Vader was more in control of himself than that. He could have waved his hand and the plans would have flown into it like Hans blaster in Empire. It simply felt tacked on.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Oh, I’m sure you’ll keep dissecting anything I like, lol..
                sigpic

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                  Often invisible
                  • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Hector
                  Oh, I’m sure you’ll keep dissecting anything I like, lol..
                  It's not personal. We just like different types of movies, I guess. It's cool.

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

sigpic

Comment

• jwyblejr
                      galactic yo-yo
                      • Apr 6, 2006

Originally posted by The Bat
                      I don't know man, it just seems to me that if Alden Ehrenreich was such a great Han Solo...then the box office numbers would look better than this:

Harrison Ford on the other hand has ALWAYS been a box off draw! Why? PERSONALITY Baby!!

If it opened in December instead of May,it would have done better. I think that was it's biggest problem. It was rushed out too soon. Going up against Deadpool 2 and Avengers:Infinity War did not help.

Comment

• The Bat
                        Batman Fanatic
                        • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                        If it opened in December instead of May,it would have done better. I think that was it's biggest problem. It was rushed out too soon. Going up against Deadpool 2 and Avengers:Infinity War did not help.
                        Here's the thing...it's FREAKIN' Star Wars!! Back in the Day the media would have been predicting how much $$$$$$ Deadpool was going to lose for going up against a Star Wars movie. But Deadpool kick Han Solo's butt...that's not suppose to happen!?
                        sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                          I'm saying in my opinion, this one was the best Star Wars film made since the original trilogy. It has problems, sure, but I found it very enjoyable. And the kid playing Han is really good. It's unfortunate that people aren't seeing it because it sends the (wrong) message that people want more movies like Rogue One (which bored me to tears) when I would prefer more movies like Solo.
                          I'm with you. Is your name Andy too? . While Rogue One didn't bore me to tears, the first two acts did not thrill or delight me. It was heavy-handed and lacked charm, charisma, and humor. Remove the Vader scenes (which were late additions) and I'd bet the film would not be so well-praised.

I too hope Disney doesn't just make more movies with the tone of Rogue One. I understand it was a spinoff meant to be a War movie. But it didn't have enough of the derring do fun of a Star Wars adventure. In some ways, it was depressing. Can't imagine a single kid wanting to dress up as Baze Malbus for Halloween.

Solo is much more than a movie about Han Solo. It's a great look at a part of the Star Wars Universe we really haven't seen up close, and it's an ensemble piece with characters you will love. The supporting cast is absolutely wonderful. The villain(s) are refreshing, yet still mustache twirling. The adventure and humor is there. To anyone denying themselves two hours of a good cinema experience, I urge you to just try it and go with the flow.

I would love Disney to make more like this, but I worry all the mixed internet messages and box office will send them the wrong message. They need a huge sign at Lucasfilm that reads, "Remember: Star Wars is for the Young and Young at Heart".

Comment

• drquest
                            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                            • Apr 17, 2012

Rogue One was heavy handed and darker than all of the other movies, but it really worked for what I was wanting to see. I would like to see the original cut of it, as a lot was changed with those reshoots, but I happened to like it quite a bit and its different take of SW.

TFA has the original tone(good and bad)

TLJ just reeked of someone not knowing how to make a Star Wars movie. I still haven't seen TLJ a second time as it was such a letdown... If I were to throw out the fact it's a SW movie, it has pacing issue, some scenes and entire storylines just didn't make any sense. Scenes were just tossed in because they were going to look good on the screen, but didn't carry any weight or move the story forward. Slow moving bombers in space? The "heavy hitting" characters in the movie were just tossed aside, and the younger/fresh characters barely had anything to do. The whole story was being carried on the back of a slow moving wagon train of ships that just couldn't quite catch each other...?? blech...
                            Danny(Drquest)
                            Captain Action HQ
                            Retro shirts and stuff
                            More retro shirts
                            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                              Moderation Engineer
                              • Aug 14, 2003

I'm bummed that it's killed the other standalones. I wanted to see Obi-Wan again.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                                Often invisible
                                • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Hedji
                                I'm with you. Is your name Andy too? . While Rogue One didn't bore me to tears, the first two acts did not thrill or delight me. It was heavy-handed and lacked charm, charisma, and humor. Remove the Vader scenes (which were late additions) and I'd bet the film would not be so well-praised.

I too hope Disney doesn't just make more movies with the tone of Rogue One. I understand it was a spinoff meant to be a War movie. But it didn't have enough of the derring do fun of a Star Wars adventure. In some ways, it was depressing. Can't imagine a single kid wanting to dress up as Baze Malbus for Halloween.

Solo is much more than a movie about Han Solo. It's a great look at a part of the Star Wars Universe we really haven't seen up close, and it's an ensemble piece with characters you will love. The supporting cast is absolutely wonderful. The villain(s) are refreshing, yet still mustache twirling. The adventure and humor is there. To anyone denying themselves two hours of a good cinema experience, I urge you to just try it and go with the flow.

I would love Disney to make more like this, but I worry all the mixed internet messages and box office will send them the wrong message. They need a huge sign at Lucasfilm that reads, "Remember: Star Wars is for the Young and Young at Heart".
                                Hi, yes, I'm Andy as well! With Rogue One, you know the story going in. I already know they get the plans to wherever, so the mission is successful. So to me, in that kind of situation, you need a really compelling story and strong characters. There are so many ways this could have been a heist movie like Solo was, or like Oceans 11. I was pretty excited going in to the movie, but it was dull with characters I didn't care about.

Originally posted by drquest
                                Rogue One was heavy handed and darker than all of the other movies, but it really worked for what I was wanting to see. I would like to see the original cut of it, as a lot was changed with those reshoots, but I happened to like it quite a bit and its different take of SW.

TFA has the original tone(good and bad)

TLJ just reeked of someone not knowing how to make a Star Wars movie. I still haven't seen TLJ a second time as it was such a letdown... If I were to throw out the fact it's a SW movie, it has pacing issue, some scenes and entire storylines just didn't make any sense. Scenes were just tossed in because they were going to look good on the screen, but didn't carry any weight or move the story forward. Slow moving bombers in space? The "heavy hitting" characters in the movie were just tossed aside, and the younger/fresh characters barely had anything to do. The whole story was being carried on the back of a slow moving wagon train of ships that just couldn't quite catch each other...?? blech...
                                I guess it's good, or at least necessary to try a different tone with a Star Wars movie, but it left me flat. I don't need Star Wars to have a different tone. The one it has is perfect.

And I agree that TLJ is a mess story wise. It really goes nowhere for 2 1/2 hours. I like Luke's arc however. It has elements of all my favorite Kung Fu movies. I kind of like the connection between Rey and Kylo. It seemed like they might team up at one point and take off in a new direction, but no. And what has changed from the start of TLJ to the end? Not much. By comparison to what has changed in Empire from start to finish, I wonder if they are considering the current movies a trilogy or not. Right now, It seems directionless.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎