Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

It was remarkably easy to accept Alden Ehrenreich within minutes of screen time. He did just fine. Being part of a tremendous ensemble cast didn't hurt either.

Those viewers who have difficulty accepting anyone other than Ford should do themselves a huge favor, and enjoy Perry King's performance as Solo in Brian Daley's Star Wars Radio Dramas. I listened to those growing up over and over and over. I think, due to the expanded dialogue of the radio episodes, Perry King had more time and lines as Solo than Ford ever did. It's a completely different take too. More intense and full of vinegar.

Have a listen to the Cantina Scene.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Scientist Man is new to me. Funny stuff, and if you close your eyes and listen, he sounds quite like Dr. Zoidberg.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Hector
        Solo didn’t work because of its lead actor. He looked nothing like Harrison Ford. He was four inches shorter too. His mannerism were all wrong as well. Obi Wan would work with Ewan McGregor as lead. It’s not rocket science.

Solo, no.

Obi Wan, yes.

I'm with ya Hector! The ONLY reason Alden Ehrenreich got the job is not because the Directors wanted him(he was forced on them),because he's dating Steven Spielberg's daughter and Steven spoke to Kathleen Kennedy and asked her to cast him. That's the reason I boycotted the movie...not because of that hot mess "The Last Jedi." Anthony Ingruber was the Fan favorite and the clear choice to play Han. But alas...in Hollywood it's who you know.

And a Ewan McGregor Obi Wan movie would have easily brought in the "old" Star Wars fans. It's a no brainer...Disney made some bad decisions.
        sigpic

Comment

• The Bat
          Batman Fanatic
          • Jul 14, 2002

Hold the phone! There's hope for an Obi Wan movie yet!!

Contrary to a rapidly spreading rumor, a new report contends Lucasfilm is still developing multiple Star Wars standalone movies.
          sigpic

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
            Often invisible
            • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by The Bat
            I'm with ya Hector! The ONLY reason Alden Ehrenreich got the job is not because the Directors wanted him(he was forced on them),because he's dating Steven Spielberg's daughter and Steven spoke to Kathleen Kennedy and asked her to cast him. That's the reason I boycotted the movie...not because of that hot mess "The Last Jedi." Anthony Ingruber was the Fan favorite and the clear choice to play Han. But alas...in Hollywood it's who you know.
            Here's the thing: no matter how Ehrenreich got the part, he was great. I saw the Ingruber footage and thought he wasn't very impressive. Ehrenreich played Han Solo and didn't just impersonate Harrison Ford like Ingruber did.

And a Ewan McGregor Obi Wan movie would have easily brought in the "old" Star Wars fans. It's a no brainer...Disney made some bad decisions.
            Are you saying that Han Solo isn't appealing to "old" fans but McGregors Obi Wan is?
            If you can't get people to go to a movie about a character from a beloved movie trilogy, how are you going to get people to go to a movie about a character from a widely disliked movie trilogy?
            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• ZombieJimC
              Persistent Member
              • Mar 12, 2014

Saw Solo Tuesday night with my brother. We both liked it a lot. Any Star Wars movie they make will never be as good as the first 2 and 1/2 films. I had a hard time believing Ewoks could beat stormtroopers. That was lame. I had no problem with the new Han actor at all. His voice reminds me of Phil from Modern family. All I know is Solo was a really good movie. Hopefully they make another one.

Comment

• Hedji
                Citizen of Gotham
                • Nov 17, 2012

The ONLY reason Alden Ehrenreich got the job is not because the Directors wanted him(he was forced on them),because he's dating Steven Spielberg's daughter and Steven spoke to Kathleen Kennedy and asked her to cast him. That's the reason I boycotted the movie...not because of that hot mess "The Last Jedi." Anthony Ingruber was the Fan favorite and the clear choice to play Han. But alas...in Hollywood it's who you know.
                Wait, you actually are avoiding escapist entertainment because you feel strongly about Hollywood politics? I'm not trying to be mean or combative, but you're missing out on an enjoyable flick for reasons that are synonymous with Hollywood.

Comment

• The Bat
                  Batman Fanatic
                  • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                  Are you saying that Han Solo isn't appealing to "old" fans but McGregors Obi Wan is?
                  If you can't get people to go to a movie about a character from a beloved movie trilogy, how are you going to get people to go to a movie about a character from a widely disliked movie trilogy?

As for Ingruber vs. Ehrenreich, I guess will just have to agree to disagree on that. I'll let the Han Solo box office speak for itself.

And no I'm not saying Obi Wan is more appealing to old fans than Han Solo...had they got the right Actor for Han I would have had my butt firmly planted in the theater on opening day! But casting McGregor is the absolute right starting point for a movie...get the right lead Actor for your movie and then go from there!
                  I take the same approach to casting any other of my favorite Heroes from Movies: Batman, Superman, Captain America. If you don't get the right guy(or girl) in the first place...you don't have a movie!
                  sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Box office isn't everything. I LOVED John Carter and sorely miss the sequels that would have completed the trilogy.

I don't follow the new Star Wars films, but Solo may come to be appreciated later by fans as a fun film with some heart.
                    Last edited by PNGwynne; Jun 21, '18, 7:35 PM.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                      Often invisible
                      • Jul 18, 2002

As for Ingruber vs. Ehrenreich, I guess will just have to agree to disagree on that. I'll let the Han Solo box office speak for itself.
                      I get what you're saying, but box office only measures how many people saw the movie, not how many liked it. Suicide Squad was an unwatchable mess but made a lot of money at the box office.

I'm saying in my opinion, this one was the best Star Wars film made since the original trilogy. It has problems, sure, but I found it very enjoyable. And the kid playing Han is really good. It's unfortunate that people aren't seeing it because it sends the (wrong) message that people want more movies like Rogue One (which bored me to tears) when I would prefer more movies like Solo.

I love McGregor. He was fantastic in the recent Fargo TV series. But after his performance in the prequels, I have no interest in his Obi Wan movie.

Comment

• The Bat
                        Batman Fanatic
                        • Jul 14, 2002

Well, I guess we're at an impasse Andy...I don't like Alden Ehrenreich as Han, I do like Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan...and I enjoyed Rogue One.
                        sigpic

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                          Often invisible
                          • Jul 18, 2002

Well, I guess we're at an impasse Andy...I don't like Alden Ehrenreich as Han, I do like Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan...and I enjoyed Rogue One.
                          Haha! Well, there you have it. Looks like we disagree completely! I'm ok with that.

Comment

• sprytel
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 26, 2009

I also feel that Alden Ehrenreich did a great job. While he was not doing an "impression", there were subtle things in the movie (I remember the way he pointed being one, a motion he did with his blaster, etc.) where he totally captured Ford's portrayal of the character in a single gesture. I didn't agree with all the choices of the movie, but I really liked it and I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to accept him as a young Han Solo.

And as far as Ingruber goes... Age of Adeline came out in 2015. Ingruber has not had another role in a major motion picture. I don't think it is because Spielberg keeps swooping in and interfering...

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Ditto...
                              sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

Don’t worry, I’ll watch Solo when it comes out on Redbox...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎