X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mary Canary
    Career Member
    • Jun 21, 2017

Superman Series Wave 4?

Last night I was listening to the Superman Movie podcast discussing the Mego tie-ins released around the time of the first Superman film.
    Fire and Water Network All-Stars Chris Franklin and Rob Kelly celebrate their favorite superhero movie of all time, 1978's SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE, five minutes at a time!

And I started thinking... It seems odd that Ma & Pa Kent were released by FTC, but no Jor-El or General Zod - especially since Mego released both of those characters, albeit not in 8" scale! The classic purple/green Lex Luthor was released as part of the Super Friends set, but the Superman line has boring labcoat Lex. Bizarro, Mr. Myx, and Brainiac have been made. Seems like there are more Superman villains and characters FTC could tap into.

I'd really love a Jor-El and a Zod, and maybe even the other Phantom Zone villains.
    Do you think there will be a WAVE 4 and if so, who would you include?

Also, minor complaint:
    I wish Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane came with cameras.
    Even Classic TV Toys doesn't have a camera, other than a video camera.
    I bought a Barbie camera on ebay for my Lois, since the microphone isn't even something she can hold in her hand.
  • TRDouble
    Permanent Member
    • Jul 10, 2012

I don't feel like the Superman lines sold that well, hence that big lot of loose Superman Series figures on FTC's website.

That said, I am hoping that maybe Action Comics #1000 will renew interest in the Man of Steel because I'd like to see more of his Rogue's Gallery made. We know we have a new Supergirl coming, so that should be in Wave 4. Other than Supergirl, I'd like to see:
    • Lex Luther (Comic Style Green & Purple Suit)
    • Brainiac (Comic version of SF figure)
    • Prankster (boring, but classic Silver Age character)
    • Parasite (regular body; not muscled up version)
    • General Zod
    • Jor-El
    • Kryptonite Kid
    • Terra-Man (!)

Comment

• JediJaida
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 14, 2008

How about Lara, his mother? Or Lana Lang? Lori Lumaris?
      JediJaida

Comment

• DC_Guy
        Museum Super Collector
        • Sep 18, 2008

Would love a Silver/Bronze Age Jor-El and Lara.

Comment

• Mary Canary
          Career Member
          • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by TRDouble
          I don't feel like the Superman lines sold that well, hence that big lot of loose Superman Series figures on FTC's website.

That said, I am hoping that maybe Action Comics #1000 will renew interest in the Man of Steel because I'd like to see more of his Rogue's Gallery made. We know we have a new Supergirl coming, so that should be in Wave 4. Other than Supergirl, I'd like to see:
          • Lex Luther (Comic Style Green & Purple Suit)
          • Brainiac (Comic version of SF figure)
          • Prankster (boring, but classic Silver Age character)
          • Parasite (regular body; not muscled up version)
          • General Zod
          • Jor-El
          • Kryptonite Kid
          • Terra-Man (!)
          What new Supergirl are they making?

I just bought the SF Lex Luthor, so hopefully if they do another version of him he'll be different.
          I can see them reusing the gray prison suit... wasn't that a common costume for him as well?

Agree Jor-El and Lara would be neat.

Or how about branching into the Legion of Super-Heroes and making Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy, and Lighting Lad?
          I'd love some Legionnaires!

Comment

• rodkeith
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 16, 2008

At one point there was an image of a Superman-themed carrying case on FTC's site. Besides the versions of characters already released, it also had Supergirl, Lana Lang, Krypto and 3 Phantom Zone villains from the Dc style guide, including Zod & Faora. I assumed there was the seed of an expected wave 4 in there. But now I can't seem to find that image, let alone any of the carrying cases.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Jor-El
              Lara
              Classic Toyman (Schott)
              Parasite
              Zod
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

I love Superman but I think the FTC line is coming to an end, just because of subpar mediocre sales, but hey, I've been wrong before.

If a new series line was coming out then yes, I would hope to see General Zod, Parasite, Jor-El and Terra-Man

Comment

• TRDouble
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jul 10, 2012

Originally posted by Mary Canary
                  What new Supergirl are they making?

I just bought the SF Lex Luthor, so hopefully if they do another version of him he'll be different.
                  I can see them reusing the gray prison suit... wasn't that a common costume for him as well?

Agree Jor-El and Lara would be neat.

Or how about branching into the Legion of Super-Heroes and making Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy, and Lighting Lad?
                  I'd love some Legionnaires!
                  I could have sworn a new sculpt Supergirl was announced, but there is no mention of one in JeffBearCO's post.

I have wanted a Legion of Super-Heroes for a long time! Even though I see them as a separate line, putting them in with a Superman series might be a nice way to see them get made. At least a few of them.

Comment

• Mary Canary
                    Career Member
                    • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by tjacwave50
                    I love Superman but I think the FTC line is coming to an end, just because of subpar mediocre sales, but hey, I've been wrong before.

If a new series line was coming out then yes, I would hope to see General Zod, Parasite, Jor-El and Terra-Man
                    But don't you think, gosh, why would they release Ma & Pa Kent before they released Zod and Jor-El.
                    Nothing against the Kents, they did a fine job raising Clark, but they don't make for very exciting action figures.
                    No flashy costumes. No special powers. Maybe if they had released stronger, more colorful fan-favorites the line would have done better?
                    You have to sometimes wonder at these decisions...

Comment

• Mary Canary
                      Career Member
                      • Jun 21, 2017

Originally posted by TRDouble
                      I could have sworn a new sculpt Supergirl was announced, but there is no mention of one in JeffBearCO's post.

I have wanted a Legion of Super-Heroes for a long time! Even though I see them as a separate line, putting them in with a Superman series might be a nice way to see them get made. At least a few of them.
                      I know they did that Supergirl with the printed shoes and belt, but meh, that doesn't do much for me. It would be cool if they did another version in a different costume - she has had so many and is getting more in the current comics. Looks like she is going back to the blue skirt. That would be a great way to do a retro costume that could also be modernized for fans who want a contemporary version of her.

I can see the Legion being its own line, but kind of feel like they could have released the core 3 characters with Superboy as a wave, that would have been neat. Like you said, just to get a few of them out there...

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎