Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Lauren Faust DC Super Hero Girls series.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

New Lauren Faust DC Super Hero Girls series.

Loved the original Super Best Friends shorts. This is going to rule.

I would have loved it if she had gotten She-Ra.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

^This is cool, and I really enjoyed the Super Best Friends shorts, but this seems like odd timing. Is it really time to reboot DC Super Hero Girls already?

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
      ^This is cool, and I really enjoyed the Super Best Friends shorts, but this seems like odd timing. Is it really time to reboot DC Super Hero Girls already?

Chris
      DC Super-Hero Girls is the centerpiece for the launch of the Ink/Zoom lines, DC's young reader bookstore initiative launching late 2018/early 2019 (there's a new Super-Hero Girls book coming in August that is the last release of the pre-Zoom line but introduces Mera into the ranks and Mera features prominently in one of the first non-Super-Hero Girls books to be released), so it's not surprising they want to bring in a creator who brings a larger audience with them to bring eyes to the project-they are using a number of well-known YA authors on the Ink/Zoom books for the very same reason. I don't think it's so much a reboot as it is a move to bring more eyes form outside the traditional comic book market to the project to help raise the profile of the property for their new initiative. From that perspective, it's a very smart move. The direct market is shrinking and comics need to find an audience outside it to be able to grow and survive, the Ink/Zoom line is a great opportunity to bring a lot of new young readers into the fold to become the next generation of comic readers and DC fans (something the direct market was never able to do and that failure is a big reason why comic sales are so low these days as many fans aged out without a new generation to follow, it's been about 2 generations since the newsstands stopped carrying comics and the direct market became the comic torchbearer and the result is basically 2 lost generations of comic readers). DC Super Hero Girls and the Ink/Zoom line is a move to go where potential readers are and hook them on DC properties in comic book form rather than wait for someone to find/walk through the door of a specialty niche shop that sells comics and "discover" comics. The properties are doing well enough in other media but it's not translating to new readers walking through the doors of comic shops (even though sales of DC trades in the book market outside of the direct market have seen small growth). It's almost like DC is acting like a real book publisher and media company with broad appeal instead of just a comic book publisher servicing a hardcore fanBOY audience (which for my money is a good thing).

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        Is it really time to reboot DC Super Hero Girls already?
        It's been three years which is probably a long time for properties now. So I guess it's about right.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

^Our collective attention spans really have gotten gnat-like, haven't they?

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎